Gear List Suggestions.

So I’m pretty new to hunting and never have been backpack hunting before. I have compiled a gear list for a mule deer hunt in SW or Central Idaho.

Please feel free to critique, and break down my list and offer suggestions to make it better or lighter. I am trying to keep it on a semi limited budget and if you have good recommendations on boots please let me know as well.

https://lighterpack.com/r/0axyj5

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
That’s a pretty dialed in list, are you experienced with backpacking?

-A couple things to lighten your weight but Uber expensive would be a dcf shelter and a lighter pack (this will cost you well over a grand to drop about two pounds).
- Cheap weight savings would be replacing your bino harness with a Rick young outdoors harness (save 10oz). Drop the m65 field pants or replace with kuiu peloton 97 zip offs (5oz). I’m not familiar with where you’re going so maybe I’m way off here. Personally those zip offs and rain paints cover most scenarios for me here in Colorado.
- Tent stakes (didn’t see them listed, included with the tent?), if you’re going from the cheapest & heaviest to an ultralight type it can save almost a half pound.
-You can get a lighter sleeping pad and have an Rvalue of 4, gonna cost $100-$200 though.

Probably want a rangefinder with you.
180 feet of cord is a bunch, you're probably OK with 50 or so.

KneeDeep

FNG
I didn't see a GPS/Map in the list. Also, my wife's become addicted to my InReach communications, worth its weight for sure for us.

taskswap

WKR
If you're trying to really cut those ounces, here are a few options
- Zing-It or bank line instead of paracord (almost as strong, much lighter)
- If you haven't bought the tent yet have a quick look at River Country, I use their Trekker 2 which is a few ounces lighter, a few bucks cheaper, and roomy enough to bring your stuff inside. A nice thing about this tent is you can use trekking poles but you can also use a ridgeline instead, which gives you additional ways to pitch it.
- Definitely agree on the ultralight stakes. You can get aluminum or even titanium ones pretty cheap on Amazon these days.
- The Sawyer Squeeze is nice but I had some issues with mine over the years getting clogged from turbid water (and ok ok, me not waiting long enough for it to settle). I'm considering the Katadyn BeFree this year which has a way you can wash/clear it without disconnecting it from the bag...
- Depending on what month you go you might lose half a pound ditching the rain gear in favor of just a poncho.
- I'm a huge fan of the Morakniv but if you bring that why not throw in a Smith's CCKS sharpener? It only adds an ounce.
- If you haven't already bought your pot, have a look at the Vargo BotPot. It costs a bit more but it has a lid with an O-ring. Somebody on another thread put me onto this. You can use it as a water container but also you can boil extra water in it at night to heat your sleeping bag with.

OP
J
That’s a pretty dialed in list, are you experienced with backpacking?

-A couple things to lighten your weight but Uber expensive would be a dcf shelter and a lighter pack (this will cost you well over a grand to drop about two pounds).
- Cheap weight savings would be replacing your bino harness with a Rick young outdoors harness (save 10oz). Drop the m65 field pants or replace with kuiu peloton 97 zip offs (5oz). I’m not familiar with where you’re going so maybe I’m way off here. Personally those zip offs and rain paints cover most scenarios for me here in Colorado.
- Tent stakes (didn’t see them listed, included with the tent?), if you’re going from the cheapest & heaviest to an ultralight type it can save almost a half pound.
-You can get a lighter sleeping pad and have an Rvalue of 4, gonna cost $100-$200 though.

Yeah did quite a bit backpacking and other backcountry outdoor activities in my youth.

I am thinking about ditching the inner net depending on the bug pressure that should save around 10 or so ounces.

I have multiple fleece layers like those Kuiu from my time in Ski Patrol. I just had no idea if “puffy pants” were really needed or not.

The stakes are .35 oz a piece so I’m not sure if the cost is worth to downsize them.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Schnees boots. I like beartooth II

Tried crispi and like the schnees. Order a few pairs from diff companies that have good return policies and see which feels better.

For your gear list. Assemble it. Pack it. And strap on your back and see. Also- once dialed in, go for an overnight hike and camp to see what your Thoughts are (too heavy/too light/ stuff ya had and didn’t use/ stuff ya wanted and didn’t take).

I almost always get in the mtns and think (wish I woulda brought X or guess I coulda left X because I never used once).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J
If you're trying to really cut those ounces, here are a few options
- Zing-It or bank line instead of paracord (almost as strong, much lighter)
- If you haven't bought the tent yet have a quick look at River Country, I use their Trekker 2 which is a few ounces lighter, a few bucks cheaper, and roomy enough to bring your stuff inside. A nice thing about this tent is you can use trekking poles but you can also use a ridgeline instead, which gives you additional ways to pitch it.
- Definitely agree on the ultralight stakes. You can get aluminum or even titanium ones pretty cheap on Amazon these days.
- The Sawyer Squeeze is nice but I had some issues with mine over the years getting clogged from turbid water (and ok ok, me not waiting long enough for it to settle). I'm considering the Katadyn BeFree this year which has a way you can wash/clear it without disconnecting it from the bag...
- Depending on what month you go you might lose half a pound ditching the rain gear in favor of just a poncho.
- I'm a huge fan of the Morakniv but if you bring that why not throw in a Smith's CCKS sharpener? It only adds an ounce.
That rope specced out was the heavier zing it cord.

What is the actual weight of your River country tent? The website is saying it weighs more then the tent I might run.

I probably will run a cheaper and lighter set of rain gear that’s more durable than frog togs. I’ve been hearing quite a bit of people saying the new Precip has been failing quick. It’s a shame. I had an old one that “grew legs” and walked away when I took it off at a job site years ago.

Nice recommendation on the Smith sharpener. I was looking into something made by lansky that was a similar weight but much more expensive.

taskswap

WKR
What is the actual weight of your River country tent? The website is saying it weighs more then the tent I might run.
Just weighed it for you. I have the v2 (the v2.2 is 2oz lighter I believe). Packed including the bag and 50' z-ing quick deploy ridgeline, 3x 6" bank-line attachments with Dutchware titanium "wasps" and 8x OBKJJ (some generic brand) aluminum "tent nails" was 2lbs 14.5oz.

Bear in mind advertised weights don't count the trekking poles. My packed weight includes a ridgeline, which I always use, and I only carry one pole. I find one is enough for my hunting style and I have a "V Yoke MB' mounted on it to use as a rifle monopod. The way I see it, my overall "load" weight from carrying a single pole and not needing a bipod on my rifle is a significant further weight savings.

In terms of height this is less tall than the tipi-shaped competitors, but I can sit upright along the centerline so it's fine by me. It's also very long - about 7.5'. I can fit all my hunt and camp gear inside with room to spare, and 2 adults (if my wife joins me) still works while still having some gear/boot space at your feet or above your head.

This tent does not come with a rain fly, but since my Anyoo poncho doubles as a tarp I can use that when needed, so there's another weight savings. I've never had any condensation problems leaving the vents closed, but it does have vents if you need them. I like that it has a full "bathtub" floor that comes up the sides about 3". I've never bothered trenching around the edge of my tent for water runoff.

This is not a perfect tent, but it's cheap, has lasted me 4 seasons of moderate use so far with no signs of wear, and is very light. IMO, if you're looking for lightweight tents and don't want to drop $500 on something crazy, this is definitely something to consider.

Overall I'd say as an individual component the Lanshan 1 is lighter. But as a complete camp setup when you consider the other components, it may be worth considering. For folks where this fits their style, you can get a bigger tent with a lower overall "system weight" depending on how you mix and match things.