Getting into a suppressor

I would like to get a suppressor for my Tikka t3x lite in 7mm rem mag. Can someone recommend a brand/style to look at? I’m aware of having to get a tax stamp but is that applied for through the company you purchase through? Any considerations I should know about that you wish you knew when you got one? My barrel is threaded for a comp so will that work for the suppressor? Thanks for any info you can give me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samson7x

WKR
I recommend the TBAC ultra7. It's a great balance of length, weight, and sound suppression. Long, heavy cans on hunting rifles suck. You will pay $200 directly to the ATF or some dealers (silencershop) can do this for you. In that case, I believe you pay it along with the suppressor purchase. They will be able to walk you through the process if you decide to go with them. I don't know what those are threaded but probably 5/8-24 and there are a plethora of suppressors/brakes in that pitch.

fwafwow

WKR
Be sure to check the diameter of your barrel. Even if a particular can fits your thread pitch, the manufacturer may recommend a minimum barrel diameter for the can. TBAC (as an example) has very specific diagrams and measurements.

Samson7x

WKR
Be sure to check the diameter of your barrel. Even if a particular can fits your thread pitch, the manufacturer may recommend a minimum barrel diameter for the can. TBAC (as an example) has very specific diagrams and measurements.

Good point, that I failed to mention. There needs to be adequate shoulder there. Some suppressors will index off the muzzle, but most index off the shoulder.

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
I just took possession of a TBAC ultra7. The only thing that I’ll add is you may want to look at creating a trust if you have family members that may use this suppressor.

Lawnboi

WKR
Is it normal to expect to spend $1000+ on a can?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A top tier can, yes. There’s a lot of other ones out there that work just fine however. I’d agree with a lot of others that it’s worthwhile to spend the extra for a top tier can, your essentially married to the thing and at +200$ for the stamp I think it’s worth it to choose more wisely. This is coming from a guy with two cheap cans, waiting on two expensive ones. The cheap one havnt held me back yet however.

I would also take in consideration current barrel size and can size...you could end up with 30" with the barrel and can very easily. Thats sucks to pack around trust me. Chopped almost every rifle I have that was over 18"...

Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I would like to get a suppressor for my Tikka t3x lite in 7mm rem mag. Can someone recommend a brand/style to look at? I’m aware of having to get a tax stamp but is that applied for through the company you purchase through? Any considerations I should know about that you wish you knew when you got one? My barrel is threaded for a comp so will that work for the suppressor? Thanks for any info you can give me.

I have cans from Surefire, OSS, CGS, TBAC, AAC, KAC, and three or four others on rifles right now. Also shoot a couple form 1’s They’re all good mostly. The TBAC’s are the “premier” precision can, they sound good, repeatability is solid, weight is good, etc. The CGS might be the best overall, but…. if I were buying one right now for hunting use, it’d be a Form 1 JK Armament rifle kit.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
What do you like about the Form 1 JK Armament for hunting purposes?

It sounds and works well, and takes less than a month to get the Form 1 approved. Sound (tone), weight, length, modularity are all solid.

It is asinine that it takes takes a year and a tax stamp to get a muffler. This causes the silly prices and weight of American cans to be so astronomical.

CoStick

WKR
I have cans from Surefire, OSS, CGS, TBAC, AAC, KAC, and three or four others on rifles right now. Also shoot a couple form 1’s They’re all good mostly. The TBAC’s are the “premier” precision can, they sound good, repeatability is solid, weight is good, etc. The CGS might be the best overall, but…. if I were buying one right now for hunting use, it’d be a Form 1 JK Armament rifle kit.
The site is a bit confusing, does the kit include everything you need?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
JK rifle caliber kit.

CF613CF8-0497-411B-B9ED-4A242E74661A.jpeg

Only difference is the thread mount. 1/2-x28 for .224 bores, 5/8-24 for 6mm or larger. They’re interchange so you can have both and just screw in whichever backend you need.

tradman

Lil-Rokslider
I believe silencershop still has their promotion for certain suppressors where they will cover the tax stamp.

Lawnboi

WKR
I believe silencershop still has their promotion for certain suppressors where they will cover the tax stamp.
Agree with above, OP If you have a kiosk near you silencershop also is a pretty easy process. If you want a suppressor first thing is find a good dealer. Maybe mention what state your in and someone can point you to one.