Getting ready to order Bikini and Highcamp-advice?

cmeier117

WKR
I already have the DT1 bag and like the pocket layout, I am trying the slick pack while using dry sacks and Kifaru UL pullouts for organization. We will see how it turns out.

The ability to add and remove pockets(extra cubic inches) really makes these bags nice. I ordered the 4800 and already have all kinds of pockets to add to it. That being said I already have a KU 3700 with 2 long pockets and a couple of belt pockets, a DT1 with two large hip belt pockets, and one small, now hopefully i get my 4800 and bikini frame in one month it will be totally tricked with pockets as well. This might be a real obsession but now I can go on any length of trip with all kinds of pocket collaboration to fit my needs.

Keep the wife happy with a new Coach purse and she has never questions my bad gear buying habits! :0

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I got the 7000. Coming out with an animal and camp it will be sleeker and lighter than a 4800 coming out with a bunch of pockets and gear strapped to the outside. Just like things more streamlined. So the more I can fit inside the pack to better. The difference is only 3 oz. Add one KU long pocket for 4.5 oz and 650 cu in (though most get the 500D so it'll match and thats 9.5 oz) and you are up to 5450 and already 1.5 oz heavier than the 7000. I think most people, myself included, could go on a week to 10 day long backpack hunt with a 4800 cu in pack with all their gear inside without too much trouble. The problem comes when you tip over an animal and gotta bring all your gear, cape, meat, antlers out in one load. Thats where the extra 2200 really shines.

Also I don't subscribe to the thought process that just because you have more space means you'll fill that up, apparently some that got the 4800 do so that helps them mitigate that and thats great that it curtails them from hauling the kitchen sink. In reality the 7000 cinches down to be no bigger than the 4800 with the same amount of gear as they both compress extremely well so there isn't a real benefit there, but you have the option to expand for bigger bulkier loads. I think I'll end up liking the Highcamp more than the DT1 simply because its a true 7000 cu in vs. a packbag that has 5200 cu in main bag and side sleeves that aren't as use able when the main pack is full. But to each their own. If you are someone that makes a lot of trips then sure you can get the 4800 and if you ever come up to Alaska for an extended hunt then buy the 7000 later...or just pay $20 more and save ya $200 in the long run. :D Lots of options just depends on what your needs/uses are...certainly no wrong way to go about it.

Last edited:

Jager

WKR
I am going with the Duplex and 4800, suits my needs pretty well. I have never been one for huge packs, as Dotman said, the temptation to keep stuffing it full of gear is there, and people do do it, but that's just the way I like to go about it. Having never been to a place such as Alaska, I am not at all in the picture as to how much extra clothing and such is required, would be interesting to compare it to other regions.

One thing that I think people overlook when considering going ultralight, is the fact that, it really is pointless replacing a good piece of quality gear with an ultralight piece, if that ultralight piece is going to fail in the backcountry because it simply isn't strong enough. We don't skimp on bullet or arrow weight and construction simply to lighten our load. I am not saying go all heavy, but the pros and cons need to be weighed up.

Curtis C

WKR
If I remember right the main bag on the T2 is right at or under 3000ci .

Can someone confirm the T2/DT2 being 3000ci in the main compartment. If thats accurate the 7000 will be quite big for most of my trips(especially off season). I may go ahead and get a 4800 ordered to use on shorter outings and summer backpack trips.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Can someone confirm the T2/DT2 being 3000ci in the main compartment. If thats accurate the 7000 will be quite big for most of my trips(especially off season). I may go ahead and get a 4800 ordered to use on shorter outings and summer backpack trips.

T2 is 3700 in the main bag.

Shrek

WKR
Unless you are going on extended 7 day + trips or carrying gear for two like Luke does often then you will most likely never blow out of the 4800 ci bag and if you do need extra space for food and clothes for an occasional extended trip you can stap a large pod on or fill the meat bag and use the shelf. If properly loaded and strapped it will not make a bit of difference if it's inside the main bag or in the meat bag between the main bag and frame. Distribute the weight right by putting the putting the weight up and tight and the bags are just a thin sheet of material snaking between.

Unless you are going on extended 7 day + trips or carrying gear for two like Luke does often then you will most likely never blow out of the 4800 ci bag and if you do need extra space for food and clothes for an occasional extended trip you can stap a large pod on or fill the meat bag and use the shelf. If properly loaded and strapped it will not make a bit of difference if it's inside the main bag or in the meat bag between the main bag and frame. Distribute the weight right by putting the putting the weight up and tight and the bags are just a thin sheet of material snaking between.

I've just learned from watching Aron's videos. I don't want to pack meat in between the frame and 40 lbs of camp in the bag. I just want it all in the bag as tight as I can get it to my back. I'll take a pic of my 10 day gear in my 7000. It probably won't even be half full. But then I know I have plenty of room for the boned out elk meat in the hanging meat bag inside the HC + all my gear.

IrishnId

WKR
I'm new to the qaulity backpack club. Ordering a High camp bag and bikini frame. I have a question on the stays. What is the benefit or reason behind the standard stay compared to the 24" or 26" stays? Thanks for all the info, it helped my decision on bags greatly. Hopefully goodbye, to my uncomfortable Badland pack.

Standard stays = normal back profile. It has nothing to do with the length.

If you're in question about what length to get, grab the longer stays. Too much lift never hurt anybody. Also, I can't believe I'm helping out an Irish fan.

OP
H

Higbean

FNG
Thanks for the great discussion. I think I've decided to try the 4800 first. If I decide I need bigger I will sell it and buy the 7000. I'm gonna get a grab it, two belt pouches, small pull out, med pull out, mega pull out, 2nd gen meat bag and heavy load hauler.

I'm planning on ditching the bag altogether for day hunts and just running the frame with the 2nd gen meat bag, grab it, mega pull out and belt pouches. What size belt pouch would you folks suggest? I'd like to carry a Sawyer squeeze water filter.

I prefer to go with a bigger bag. If rather cinch down then trying to extend, strapping stuff to the outside etc. Longer stays are the way to go. Can't go wrong

cmeier117

WKR
I prefer to go with a bigger bag. If rather cinch down then trying to extend, strapping stuff to the outside etc. Longer stays are the way to go. Can't go wrong

This is my thought process. Last year I would have not had this mentallity, but after talking with Aron, Luke etc... (aka guys who have killed a lot of critters) I have found out this is the only way to role when doing any type of back pack hunt. The only reason I wouldn't do this is if I was not physically able to haul very much weight and/or if I knew I had a packer coming for my meat.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Thanks for the great discussion. I think I've decided to try the 4800 first. If I decide I need bigger I will sell it and buy the 7000. I'm gonna get a grab it, two belt pouches, small pull out, med pull out, mega pull out, 2nd gen meat bag and heavy load hauler.

I'm planning on ditching the bag altogether for day hunts and just running the frame with the 2nd gen meat bag, grab it, mega pull out and belt pouches. What size belt pouch would you folks suggest? I'd like to carry a Sawyer squeeze water filter.

Very cool little setup...would love to see how this works. Just wondering how its going to work..put the meat in the meat bag obviously and your day hunt gear in the pull outs strapped to your frame some how. Then the cape and antlers in the grab it? Might consider adding a lash kit to it as well to better secure your load. By the time you add the grab it, pull outs, meat bag, and heavy load hauler you'll be saving roughly 1 pound over just using your 4800 bag to day hunt out of and likely be a bit easier to work out of as well being as you can just throw your gear in there like spotter, tripod, hydration bladder and what not rather than having to worry about having to lash it all on there in some manner especially if you get an animal down. Just some thing to consider. Those are great accessories and will be handy for using in conjunction with your pack for managing your loads, but the idea of taking the bag off to day hunt with just the frame and accessories seems almost like more trouble than what its worth...atleast thats my though after toying around with some pockets on my duplex frame which has even more options to hang pockets in different configurations. Just something to think about.