Gila Wilderness Spring Turkey Hunt (Scout for Future Elk Hunt)

LoneGriz

FNG
I'm hoping there are a few Rokslide members that have experience with the Gila Wilderness/16B or know someone who does that I can contact. I'm planning a spring Gila Wilderness turkey hunt. The plan is to pack in with mules, hunt turkey for 4-5 days and get a general feel for the country and a rough plan for a future elk hunt.

I've got several books and maps of the country. I've done enough research at this point to be dangerous! I want to hunt remote 8-12 miles), in country with elevations in the 8000-9000 ft range, country with water (otherwise turkeys won't be there!) and in/close to country I may try to hunt elk in the future.

I'm focusing in on the North Central/Central sections of the Gila. I'm looking at possibly using the Snow Lake trailhead (North end of the Gila) and packing in to the Turkey Feather Pass country (upper West Fork Gila River) or using the West Fork Gila trailhead (come in from Silver City with trailhead in center of the Gila) and pack into the Cub Creek/Mesa country to the South of the West Fork of the Gila. The 2nd option is likely too long of a mule pack trip (?), but we'll see. That option would give me a backup plan if there was too much snow to get into Snow Lake (or roads were too bad, etc.).

I will likely need an outfitter for the pack-in/out. We will likely have 2 mules but will need several more for additional hunters and to pack in gear. I'll likely give Jeff (Warren) a call on the Gila outfitters. I've been hearing a lot of bad things about some of the Gila country outfitters and illegal outfitters in the area.

With all the fire damage and rain/flood damage done last summer/fall, I think MRI is going to be very important to the success of this spring hunt. I may drop $400 for the hunt planner in that area (Gila Wilderness Hunting Consulting).

Any thoughts on how to successfully turkey hunt the Gila Wilderness, areas that might lend themselves to turkey hunting/elk hunting the same general area, solid outfitters that I can start building a relationship with (will only be using packing services as I hunt DIY), experience with Gila Wilderness Hunting Consulting or anything that might help me finalize my plans and have a great experience in the Gila would be greatly appreciated.

I'll be sure to share my hunting experience, outfitter experience and what I learn of the country.

Thx! Jim

SDHNTR

WKR
Pm me. I can dial you in somewhat. I hunted elk in there last year. Keep in mind the place was wrecked with flooding last fall so some of your planned routes might be impassable. I can also tell you a couple packers to avoid and some who would be good choices. You can search for my thread in the elk forum if you want to get a feel and see some pics. Keep in mind though, its awful hard to make a plan for the unit as the draw odds are long and LO tags are virtually non existant .

OP
LoneGriz

LoneGriz

FNG
Thx SDHNTR! I'll drop you a PM.

I'm actually putting in for Valle Vidal elk hunt at this point. So, the Gila 16B elk hunt will definitely be at some point 'down the road' (if ever). I love remote wilderness experiences, and spring turkey hunting, so figured a spring Gila turkey hunt would be a great way to spend a week this spring. Might allow me to jump over into AZ and check out the GMU 1 & 27 country while I'm there.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I tried to go to the gila over the new year. I was advised that the flooding last year was extreme and a lot of normal routes are washed out or require scrambling debris piles. You probably should call and see

unm1136

WKR
I just got back from a mule deer hunt eight weeks ago in 16. Saw a metric buttload of elk, but no deer. I saw a herd of about 15 in an empty public campground. The roads were quite bad, and very scary for someone hunting solo in a minivan. Almost all of the campgrounds in 16A abutting the wilderness area were closed, and the roads were being worked on, but were very bad.

I plan on chasing turkeys in the Lincoln, and possibly 16C in April/May.

pat

OP
LoneGriz

LoneGriz

FNG
I'll give the FS a call on Monday. I spent several hours online yesterday researching the hunt. I didn't see any reports concerning flood damage to the primary routes into Willow or Snow Lake trailheads, but that certainly doesn't mean much, as it doesn't appear the FS is investing energy in keeping their sites current. It appears there is a maintained gravel road for passenger cars from Reserve into Willow and Snow lake (141/142). I'll be asking them about that (flood damage and access in mid/late April). Thx.

unm1136

WKR
That road wasn't too bad... but the stream feeding Snow Lake from the north was a couple of van lengths across, between six and ten inches deep, and strewn with large rocks where the road crosses. A state police friend of mine hung around while I crossed incase he had to pull me out. I drove in from 16a and there were three different places where the road was so bad that I got out, measured, tried to move a couple of rocks and literally got down and prayed. Two of them were within about 5 miles of Snow Lake and had deep streams cutting across the road. There is a campground and a trailhead into the wilderness there. Crappy road experience should be a must, and 4wd will come in handy. If you go south from the Snow lake turnoff (on burnsom road) there was a coupe of culverts being replaced and down to single lane. All three campgrounds off of Burnsom Road near 16b at the trailheads were closed and washed out. Burnsom Road from Negrito wasn't too bad to the turnoff for Snow Lake. I didn't make it much further but State Police said Burnsom from the wilderness area campgrounds to Mongollon was tough to do on a quad.

That said, Snow Lake area seemed to be the boundry between the really bad areas and the not so bad areas. Going south and east from the lake could provide some excitement, and staying around the lake was not too bad. On a map it looks shorter to take 12 from the area of Magdalena/Datil, but SP said to go the other way through Reserve, because the road conditions are so much worse on the other route. While not scary, the Reserve route was slow going, too, based on road conditions.

Then again it has been over 10 weeks since I was there...Any improvement would be noted immediately, and I was a little stressed from a lack of 4wd.

Good luck on your hunt and scouting trips.

pat

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
I have done the spring turkey hunt starting at the cliff dwellings as well as starting from Willow Creek. There are not as many turkeys as you would think being as remote as that country is. You can end up having to move a long ways between patches where there are turkeys. Both times we were on mules and were highly mobile. For example we would cover from willow creek all the way through turkeyfeather pass to the west fork and back in part of one day. You should be able to get some opportunities at birds, but will have to work for them. I do not know what the roads are like, I have not been in there since the floods this fall. I do know a good outfitter that does drop camps for elk. He does not do turkey hunts. PM me if you want his info.

OP
LoneGriz

LoneGriz

FNG
I have done the spring turkey hunt starting at the cliff dwellings as well as starting from Willow Creek. There are not as many turkeys as you would think being as remote as that country is. You can end up having to move a long ways between patches where there are turkeys. Both times we were on mules and were highly mobile. For example we would cover from willow creek all the way through turkeyfeather pass to the west fork and back in part of one day. You should be able to get some opportunities at birds, but will have to work for them. I do not know what the roads are like, I have not been in there since the floods this fall. I do know a good outfitter that does drop camps for elk. He does not do turkey hunts. PM me if you want his info.

H4L, sounds like you know the country! You have covered 16 miles/day chasing turkeys on mules???? That is some serious running and gunning! I've got my outfitter and hunt location selected. I'm trying to get final commitments from the guys so we can finalized the plan with the outfitter for the drop camp. I'm being told the Willow Creek trail to Turkey Feather and West Fork is blown out. You can get there but must take a round about path. We are going to focus on some country several miles to the East/South East of there. I want to hear more about this "highly mobile running and gunning from mule back"! I will have my mule with me and will be using him during the hunt to be mobile. I hadn't planned to cover any more than 8 miles round trip during the day, moving from one potential hot spot to another seeing if I can locate good sign or get one to light up to a locator call. I'd love to hear how some of your Gila turkey hunts have turned out. I'll drop you a PM. Thx.

OP
LoneGriz

LoneGriz

FNG
It is interesting that the outfitter I'm planning to use for the drop camp hasn't mentioned any concerns about accessing the trailhead. If he doesn't have any concerns trailering in 4 horses/mules, then we are either planning to utilize a trailhead that has a good road into it that wasn't impacted by the flooding or any road impacts have been fixed. I'll be sure to bring it up with him once we finalize our plans and ensure I know the exact route, so I don't have a problem trailering 1-2 mules into the trailhead. I can see where it could get western hunting country like that from a mini-van!!!!

That road wasn't too bad... but the stream feeding Snow Lake from the north was a couple of van lengths across, between six and ten inches deep, and strewn with large rocks where the road crosses. A state police friend of mine hung around while I crossed incase he had to pull me out. I drove in from 16a and there were three different places where the road was so bad that I got out, measured, tried to move a couple of rocks and literally got down and prayed. Two of them were within about 5 miles of Snow Lake and had deep streams cutting across the road. There is a campground and a trailhead into the wilderness there. Crappy road experience should be a must, and 4wd will come in handy. If you go south from the Snow lake turnoff (on burnsom road) there was a coupe of culverts being replaced and down to single lane. All three campgrounds off of Burnsom Road near 16b at the trailheads were closed and washed out. Burnsom Road from Negrito wasn't too bad to the turnoff for Snow Lake. I didn't make it much further but State Police said Burnsom from the wilderness area campgrounds to Mongollon was tough to do on a quad.

That said, Snow Lake area seemed to be the boundry between the really bad areas and the not so bad areas. Going south and east from the lake could provide some excitement, and staying around the lake was not too bad. On a map it looks shorter to take 12 from the area of Magdalena/Datil, but SP said to go the other way through Reserve, because the road conditions are so much worse on the other route. While not scary, the Reserve route was slow going, too, based on road conditions.

Then again it has been over 10 weeks since I was there...Any improvement would be noted immediately, and I was a little stressed from a lack of 4wd.

Good luck on your hunt and scouting trips.

pat

JPD350

WKR
Last year my friend and I just packed in on foot and hunted the middle fork, thought we were going to see lots of birds! we killed the only two Toms we heard and it was extremely hard to get them.

Take warm and waterproof gear, last year it snowed a couple inches and was 16-18 degrees in the AM and it was hitting 40+
mile an hour winds at times, there was however a few nice days mixed in our trip, be ready for all weather cause April can really suck down there OR it can be totally warm and beautiful.

JP

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
I have always preferred to run and gun for turkeys rather than sitting around waiting. I like to use a mouth call or a box call and cover the miles calling intermittently until I get a response. When on the mules I just call as we ride and then get off if something responds. I only use locator calls when the birds are on the roost in the morning or after dark in the evening. I have never had much luck with locators when they are on the ground. Good luck and keep an eye out for sheds. Last time I did that hunt I picked up a matched 7x6 set that would go in the 350's. What outfitter did you end up choosing?

OP
LoneGriz

LoneGriz

FNG
H4L, I like your turkey hunting style! You own your own mules? I think my mule would disown me if I tried to do a 16 mile/day run&gun from the saddle! But, I plan to get in several 8 mile/day mule back run&guns on this trip. I'm going with Tom of San Francisco River Outfitters (non-outfitted drop camp). I'll definitely be keeping my eye open for sheds. Although, trying to pack many out would be a bit challenging.