Glassing chair? Packable

180ls1

WKR
I am looking at buying a packable glassing chair but am curious as to how much it helps. I am the typical Rokslider that hikes in so weight does matter. It would mainly be used for western hunting but also turkeys in the spring.

I guess I am trying to quantify how much a chair actually helps with glassing animals and comfort, not so much the brand. I currently use 2x of the little foam wafers which is a huge improvement over bare cheeking it. I am specifically looking at the Crazy Creek 2.0 long version.

Last edited:

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
Helinox. I had a heavier version called a BigFoot I think, for years, but the Helinox is SO light and comfortable. I sprug for it this year.

OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR
So you guys all find them really helpful? That is more so what I am trying to quantify. Not so much the brand.

CorbLand

WKR
I bought a Helinox knock off for this exact reason. While it works and is better than nothing, I rarely carry it.

I found that it sits you too far back to be used while glassing. You have to sit up, not using the back at all. Finding a place that is level enough is also difficult. I just carry a pad and kick a spot out anymore.

taskswap

WKR
Extremely helpful. I actually have three options and always have at least one.

1. Helinox - most comfortable "chair" for a long sit, but very low to the ground. Works best if you can glass from the crest of a hill but then you're often skylined. It needs a relatively level surface so I've found plenty of times it's not a great option and these days usually only carry it for camping.

2. BTR stool. I get uncomfortable with it after about an hour or two but for anything shorter it's my go-to. As a tripod it's more forgiving of uneven ground, and it's much TALLER which for me is a big win, saving my knees. It weighs about the same although somehow it feels bulkier. But it's also faster to set up, so I often carry it in one of my side water-bottle pouches so I can grab it in a hurry. It's not just for glassing - I've taken a shot using it as a rifle rest, too, and it worked great for that. I wouldn't do it every time, but it can be done.

3. Klymit inflatable seat. You're sitting on the ground with this but it's THE smallest and lightest option, so there's almost no excuse not to have it. I carry it even when I have one of the other options above. I'll use this thing just about any time I sit down especially if I don't want to take my pack off, because it folds down to fit a side pouch. It gives you insulation from ground cold and moisture (snow/etc) and padding vs rocks and such. I've done plenty of glassing on it, too.

grfox92

WKR
I have a helinox knock off from Amazon going on 6 years and it's still strong as could be. For $29 I would buy one again.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

I carry a small piece of folded up tarp to sit on, slight padding effect but keeps my butt dry. Also doubles for other uses. With clothing, food, kill kit, survival kit, water and rifle, I’m already carrying about 32-38 lbs (much of it water because of where I hunt). In steep rough terrain at 8,000+ elevation, No way I’m adding what I consider unneeded “luxury” items.

MthwSdmn

FNG
I occasionally bring a helinox camping but never hunting.

I stick a thermarest closed cell pad that folds accordion style on the outside of my pack and use it as a stool and also to protect my blow up pad and add some warmth.

Been thinking about picking up a crazy creek style chair for camping / picnicking but I could see that getting used for glassing.

BBob

WKR
So you guys all find them really helpful? That is more so what I am trying to quantify. Not so much the brand.
I use the Helinox on backpack elk hunts but it usually stays in camp. It’s really nice to have a seat off the ground prepping and eating meals and relaxing a little in the evening. I use the Helinox or Hillsound when glassing from the truck. Both are generally stored in the truck all the time in a milk crate with other essentials. When in the field glassing for deer and pigs I sit on a pad on the ground. Several friends carry the Hillsound in the field for glassing. Two friends carry Crazy Creeks in the field and on pack hunts.

Poser

WKR
Helinox: comfortable for sitting. I always bring it for backcountry fishing trips. Not easy to get into glassing position while sitting in it.
If your posterior chain is fatigued, you almost have to fall into it to sit down.

Crazy Creek: comfortable for sitting, doubles as a knee pad. Not optimal to manage the tripod legs in relation to the tension straps and your legs -a little frustrating for glassing, but I do often bring it on hunting trips.

If your focus is glassing, nothing better than a foam pad + your backpack for being in a sitting position while glassing. In camp, fold your sleeping pad back to lean back against, sit on your foam pad.

OP
180ls1

180ls1

WKR
Helinox: comfortable for sitting. I always bring it for backcountry fishing trips. Not easy to get into glassing position while sitting in it.
If your posterior chain is fatigued, you almost have to fall into it to sit down.

Crazy Creek: comfortable for sitting, doubles as a knee pad. Not optimal to manage the tripod legs in relation to the tension straps and your legs -a little frustrating for glassing, but I do often bring it on hunting trips.

If your focus is glassing, nothing better than a foam pad + your backpack for being in a sitting position while glassing. In camp, fold your sleeping pad back to lean back against, sit on your foam pad.

The backpack thing is interesting. I wonder if someone makes a trekking pole attachment so I could lean back into it?

fishslap

WKR
I have a rear shooting bag that I bought off a small company that was mentioned on here but I can’t remember their name. It is two sections sewn together that can fold out or stack. It is very light and surprisingly firm. I sit on it in my tent and add my thermarest seat pad on top. Both weigh next to nothing and have multiple uses. Could be an option.