Glassing chair? Packable

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Unless Helinox has changed their seat angle in the last two years since I sat in one, it had just about the worst seat angle of any of the lightweight backpacking chairs.

Those lightweight, low to the ground, foldable chairs need to have a proper seat angle and beyond is different in how they sit for glassing.

I tried several in the stores and spent about 10 minutes in each scrolling through Rokslide. The only one that I was still “comfortable in” after that long was the Big Agnes Skyline UL. It’s a great chair that has many trips and hours sat in it. Zero complaints.

I've used a big Agnes stool that weighs in around 1lb and lets you sit and move around a little more than the stool, but its still uncomfortable for a long sit. Pack and foam get my vote.

I will say that I don’t use a tripod for glassing, I use a monopod and my binos. I can put the monopod in my chair and glass with ease. Not as easy with a tripod.

My favorite is Helinox chair. I have a Big Agnes stool that is ok too but I like a back to lean back in too. I also have the BTR stool and it would be 3rd on the list. It lives up to it's name better then a rock

I used the Helinox for 1 season and then switched to the Big Agnes Skyline UL chair. Looks very similar to the Helinox but I find it to be way more comfortable to me. It's always in my backpack and I don't go sitting or glassing without it anymore as it has made a world of difference in keeping me from getting stiff from sitting too long. Comfortable enough that I may even get a few zzzzzs throughout the day while sitting in it.

JHL

FNG
I have the Crazy Creek and it's great. Took some time to get comfortable with the tripod legs, but when you get a good glassing spot it's solid. I would like to upgrade to the tall model. It's a little taller and slightly wider.

I have the BTR stool and love it. Outdoorsmans will warranty it if anything happens to it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcseal2

WKR
I have a BTR stool and it works well.

For times weight isn't as important I painted up a Camptime Roll A Chair so it doesn't glare. It's about 2.5lbs but comfortable and high enough to get over vegetation some wouldn't.

Usually I just take 6 sections of a Thermarest Z lite. It's my glassing pad, something to stand on while getting boots and socks on and off, and if I have an unplanned overnight a little insulation under my torso.

TheGDog

WKR
I have now like 3 or 4 sit options. (Cause of my lowerback disc bulges). So I must have lowerback support.

When it comes to low profile sit options, most used, if duration of sit is not too terribly long.. or..the hike-in is horrible.. then I'll take the BeardBuster turkey hunter type cushion with the adjustable straps for the back support with frame-stays sewn into it.

Another that works great for not as steep locations is this Helinox Festival chair I ordered from REI.

I can only do sits for so long with the Turkey Seat Cushion system before it can start hurting my area(s) of injury.

For longer sits, where I want to sit low, and I can find an elevated location which also happens to have some flat, or at least not tooo bad of steep angle to it, I can instead make use of the Helinox Festival chair.

It sits real low, has less limbs then a regular Helinox (only 2 each sides), the feet are nicely soft-terrain friendly, meaning don't hardly sink in. And it even comes with a shoulder strapped protective bag to stuff it into, then click it back into your pack thru the shoulder straps of that bag, at loops you fold out on in on the ends.

Then I have the Macro sized Helinox. If you're doing a sit in leafy for deer, like in an opening within some chapparal terrain. That thing works amazing backed up next to an oak tree. So when you sit back even your head is supported nicely by the tree. Easy to remain motionless for long stretches on that one.

Also got a predator-calling sorta "Tommy Bahama" style Alpz Outdoorz seat, the wider sized one. But.. because of the carry-in weight related to the places I've tended to go to, I've instead usually opted for either of the other two, lighter, low-sit options previously mentioned. Mostly because I'm usually out solo, so less weight and bulk to lug around the better, even more when you're then hiking a 35+ lbs coyote back to the truck. There's definitely a limited distance limit I'm willing to commit to with that "heavier" seat.

But in terms of the other three, it's just a question of how rough is the landscape you're attempting to be on? The rougher? The more you learn towards the BeardBuster, possibly supplemented with a blow-up pad on top of it for even better longterm comfort, like when I'm sitting overlooking a Dove Decoy spread (in a hidey hole, so they don't see me). Since that type of activity the sit is generally longer, I already know to bother with bringing the supplemental blow-up pad, (a Klymit V, I think). Either that or slide on one of the Z-Pad closed cellfoam ones also, to buy me more time before getting sore.

If you're relatively injury free, I'd go for the BeardBuster Seat Cushion first, and see what you think, before making the next choice. Because I'm sure for somebody thinner and w/ less trauma injuries than me, you'd probably be more than happy with that just about anywhere. And it packs light enough and conveniently enough. You won't mind taking it everywhere with you.

eamyrick

WKR

I cut weight in other areas. I always bring my big agnes mica basin chair. I’m a big dude. The helinox chair doesn’t work for me. The mica basin is 2lbs but makes all the difference around camp and long glassing sits. If an area is super rough and steep I just use a thermarest pad to sit.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a BTR stool and it works well.

For times weight isn't as important I painted up a Camptime Roll A Chair so it doesn't glare. It's about 2.5lbs but comfortable and high enough to get over vegetation some wouldn't.

Usually I just take 6 sections of a Thermarest Z lite. It's my glassing pad, something to stand on while getting boots and socks on and off, and if I have an unplanned overnight a little insulation under my torso.

When I really want to relax… Mulibex is my go to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

intunegp

WKR
I rarely find a good place flat enough for the full size camp chairs. I've been carrying a Grand Trunk Micro camp stool for the past few years and it does what I need when I can't find an appropriate rock to throw my Kuiu pad on. 10 oz, folds to 12"x6"x1.5 so it doesn't take up much room in the pack. Might add a Klymit V-seat to the mix this year for extra padding on the rock and/or stool.