Glassing freehand

Hi,
I have a tripod and 10x50 binos. Works great with a tripod but when I try to freehand, I can hardly see a thing. Is 10x too much magnification to freehand or am I doing something wrong? Or does it just take practice? Thanks

Gumbo

WKR
It just takes practice, but of course you wont be as steady without a tripod. Just like shooting a rifle, you need to learn how to use a rest, be it your knees, chest, other object.

Everyone sees more using a tripod or rest of some sort. When looking for game it’s night and day.

Marble

WKR
Hi,
I have a tripod and 10x50 binos. Works great with a tripod but when I try to freehand, I can hardly see a thing. Is 10x too much magnification to freehand or am I doing something wrong? Or does it just take practice? Thanks
No tripod... lean back on something, wear a hat with a bill and hold onto the bill and the binos at the same time.

Be innovative...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

If I know that I’m going out for a heavy glassing hunting/scouting trip I absolutely bring a tripod. Otherwise if I need to sit and glass for a minute on a hunt I’ve used a single trekking pole to help steady binos, the top of my backpack sitting on the ground in front of me etc. For me on an archery elk hunt that’s the norm anyways. Mule deer, tripod.

Took me a bit to find the best balancing spot to hold mine and I tend to press my forehead into the eye cups to help steady. I think OPs question was towards glassing while on the move, as he mentioned he already has a tripod.

I'd practice holding at different points on the binos to find a good balancing point, and also different arm/elbow positions. You can also balance it roughly on the top of your bow, setting bottom cam on your knee.

rhsmith3

FNG
If not using a tripod, what works best for me is sitting down elbows on knees and have your eye cups turned IN and rest the top of eye cups along your brow line, tight against your eyebrows. It will never replace a tripod but works good for me. It does take some getting used to but try it out and see if it works for ya! Holding your cap with your index fingers while doing this seems to be what works for some people too. Everybody is a little different.

grfox92

WKR
No tripod... lean back on something, wear a hat with a bill and hold onto the bill and the binos at the same time.

Be innovative...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
This works good for freehand when you aren't on your tripod.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

cod007

Lil-Rokslider
I might just mention (if you’re new at glassing) that you need to be sure each individual eyepieces (right eye, left eye) needs to be focused/dialed to each eye. If one doesn’t adjust each focal side correctly to each individual eye, it really messes you up out in the field. It’s pretty easy to have those individual side focal knobs to become out of adjustment.
That can really screw you up.

Antares

WKR
I freehand 15x56s. Just takes practice. Tuck your elbows together and press them into your stomach. Pinch the visor of your hat. Also, just accept that it’s going to be a little wobbly, that’s the trade off.