Gloves

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t seen many guys talk about this but what gloves do you guys run? I’m looking for a glove for when temps get down in teens and low 20s. That I still have some dexterity with. This weekend was hunting down in the low 20s with high winds and my hands got so cold they hurt. I started looking at Kuiu selection but really it’s hard to tell how much dexterity youwill have by looking at a picture online

Tyglick

FNG
I’ve got the kuiu attack gloves. Early season glove so might be a little light for you but I love them. I’ve had great luck with kuiu brand

tdot

WKR
How much dexterity do you need? Do you want to pull a trigger with the glove on? Or just simply buckle up your pack and hold a rifle?

Gloves specific to hunting are laughable. I run ski gloves. Way more dexterity without all the gimicky crap. Own several pairs from these guys for skiing and hunting as once the snow starts to stack I ski my ass off until it’s gone sometime in late April. The BC glove is what I run for hunting.

Hathcock

FNG
If you are just sitting in a stand I personally like to use a lighter glove for dexterity with one of those hand warming pouches.

I never have found any gloves that where warm enough to keep my hands warm and give me the dexterity I wanted when
I am sitting. This year I am trying out liner gloves with the firstlite down mittens. The mittens are easy to slide off and weigh about nothing.
Walking in I wear a soft leather work glove as I have to walk thru things that want to stick and scratch me.

1000yrds

FNG
Try crabbing gloves. There was a just a thread on this within the last week or two talking about seal skinz that had a good link. They cost about 15.00 a pair and are tough as nails, warm and dry. I have plenty of dexterity with them too. They don't look like they'd be easy to shoot with but they are. A fashion statement they aren't but they are warm and dry!! Most pairs are orange, bright blue or green.

Napperm4

WKR
Kuiu Axis gloves with firstlite liners when cooler. Feels like I’m barely wearing anything as far as dexterity goes.

Wind proof, water resistant and warm enough to get me through Up to November in Canada

Mosby

WKR
I buy cheap, light weight gloves. No particular brand. I used to buy expensive, heavy gloves. I have a ton of them. They didn't fit into my pockets, my hands and fingers still got cold and I was always taking my right one off to shoot, because I couldn't feel the trigger with them on. I tried mittens but they were always falling out of my tree stand, when I took them off.

I switched to lighter gloves and I can fit my hands into my coat or pants pockets, when needed and my hands are just as warm or cold. I can feel my trigger without taking them off, which is really important to me. I always have a second pair in my pack and they don't take up a lot of room. I have also used a muff in Canada with hand warmers when below 0 using the same light weight gloves and that worked ok too.

I buy expensive boots but I cheap out on my gloves.

Wrench

WKR
I spent years working on the north slope. Here's the deal, you need to choose which one is important....dexterity or warmth. I personally run light spandex work gloves down to 25ish* lined spandex below the and will add a fold back mitten if it's windy or I have to make contact with something thermally conductive or sit long. Anything thicker than a lined spandex glove becomes a gamble on triggers and clearing a rifle, adjusting binos, mouth calls.....well, that becomes near impossible.

Warmth comes from insulation, reflection and isolation from thermal losses. It doesn't matter what color you choose, what brand....etc. you will have to make sacrifices to get what you want.....choose wisely.

I spent years working on the north slope. Here's the deal, you need to choose which one is important....dexterity or warmth. I personally run light spandex work gloves down to 25ish* lined spandex below the and will add a fold back mitten if it's windy or I have to make contact with something thermally conductive or sit long. Anything thicker than a lined spandex glove becomes a gamble on triggers and clearing a rifle, adjusting binos, mouth calls.....well, that becomes near impossible.

Warmth comes from insulation, reflection and isolation from thermal losses. It doesn't matter what color you choose, what brand....etc. you will have to make sacrifices to get what you want.....choose wisely.
Thats a pretty honest assessment.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Gloves mostly suck for warmth. Wrench is right on. I’ve been using wool glomittens with wool GI glove liners down to the teens and 20s. They stay as mittens until I need dexterity, then I flip the mitten part back.

Being a GI surplus junkie I also like the trigger finger mittens with their wool liners, and I’ll add another wool glove liner when it’s real cold such as when plowing snow at zero and below. Index finger stays inside like a normal mitten and only goes into its slot when needed. 67F7864F-43E9-4A55-8894-A5986E29C2EC.jpegD236C4FF-2B0F-463B-90A4-7717C4621B9E.jpegC8A34258-B581-4AF9-9592-0E99EE28A6FE.jpeg

I like to keep it fairly simple, similar to nodakian. I like to wear a light “liner” type glove for dexterity, but when the temp drops, I throw some glommits over them. Covered in the mittens, my fingers stay toasty. If I need the dexterity, I fold back the glommits but my fingers still aren’t exposed to the elements. Seemed to work for me the past few seasons.

OP
S

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies guys gave me some ideas to
Check out I like the idea of a thin liner with a little thicker glove Over the top but don’t think that will give me the the warmth of a glommit.

ChrisAU

WKR
The cheapest gloves First Lite sells are their best ones...I have the full finger touch talus gloves (the touch screen function works better than any other glove I've ever had with that function on it) and the fingerless that I'll put on over them. Then when sitting glassing I have Enlightened Equipment down mittens.