Glued on recoil pad removal help

Brad61537

FNG
Hello All,
I'm looking for some suggestions from anyone who may have had to remove a glued on recoil pad. So I have a Remington Sendero with a HS Precision stock & the recoil pad is glued on from Remington. I have read from other posts that to remove it simply place only the stock in a freezer overnight & it should simply pop off with the help of a small flathead screwdriver, putty knife, wood chisel blade etc etc etc. My problem is I have completely upgraded the rifle to include new barrel, trued action & bolt, & also glass bedding. I have read that if I place the stock in the freezer that the bedding could be compromised, & possible just pop out? I would really like to avoid the bedding to just pop out if possible. I'm looking for any help from anybody who has maybe been down this road & has any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You.

300wmxcr2

FNG
Removed a few from Sendero's to put on a Grind to fit. Take a razor knife and very carefully score around the hard plastic piece between the recoil pad and the stock. This will prevent chipping when you remove the pad.
Use the razor knife and cut the old rubber pad off, you will find a steel insert with a center cross piece that is actual epoxied on to the stock. Start with the center and twist it with plyers and the epoxy will start to let go. Work slowly and it will come of without and damage. Once it is removed I tape a piece of 80 grit sand paper to the bench and sand any remaining epoxy off the stock to give a nice flat surface for the new pad. Make sure to hold the stock square to the bench when sanding, if it rocks back and forth the surface wont be flat.
Be careful when you score around the base of the old pad and don't rush, they do come off fairly easy.
The hardest part is building up the courage to start, one you do you are committed.
Take me less than 10 minutes to take on off now,

OP
Brad61537

Brad61537

FNG
Thanks guys! I ended up calling Hs precision before seeing your replies & they gave me 2 options/suggestions. Use a band saw to cut off or a vise to tighten down on the hard rubber gasket being very careful not to make contact with the stock & slowly tighten down until you here the glue breaking apart. I went the vise route & worked like a charm with no damage to the stock. Applied my grind to fit kick eez with no issues! Thanks again!