GMC torque converter

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some advice. My truck started occasional split second vibrating (like a faint rumble strip) and has a slight sporadic knock when pulling hills . It started late Friday night on a 20hr road trip ( I’m a traveling ER nurse so I do a lot of hwy miles). It does great on acceleration and shifting. I was told from a shop over the phone it’s a torque converter. Everyone seems to be booked out several days and I work 12hr shifts so it’d be a week before it gets in. It’s a 14 Sierra 5.3 v8 4x4 with 146k miles. I was quoted $3500 for the torque converter and pump replacement. It’s $5400 for a new transmission at the dealer with warranty. Another shop said $2500 or $3650 for a rebuild. I had looked at diesels and talked myself out of it and was offered 18 trade in months ago. What happens if I keep driving it? Will the transmission just blow or what? Also do I have it rebuilt or will the torque converter be enough? I love my truck and I don’t want to get rid of it especially with prices now. When the first guy said $3500 “here come goodbye” by rascal flatts popped in my head lol. I don’t know much about this so any advice is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My advice would be to find a couple local shops and price a rebuild through them. I believe what you are experiencing is torque shudder. They make some stuff you can put into the fluid that might help it. Most auto parts places carry it. It is called shudder fix or something. I believe there is just a glaze built up and I don’t think it will just quit working, but you never know.

I would reccomend you replace the transmission fluid and filter if it has one before doing a rebuild. When you do the fluid change add the additive pictured below. I would be very surprised if the issue didn’t go away after doing the service, and then driving approximately 300 miles with the fresh fluid + additive.
3CE8F831-F409-433C-B3E4-AEDC027E8867.png

OP
cardiac5

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
I put shudder fix in earlier today but only drove like 10 miles back out of town since. When I get off work this weekend I’m doing an oil change so I’ll look at doing the transmission fluid then also.

Man I was going to say slap a Toyota sticker across the back and it would fix it, but someone took my thunder.

Does the truck have an auto 4wd that you drive in? Or do you drive it in 2wd? I'm not well versed in those model years but when the fluid deteriorates in the transfer case, awd can cause some of the problems you are experiencing after a long drive.

I'd start with a full fluid change in transfer case and a flush of the transmission. I haven't found any of the additives to be detrimental. Of course taking it to a shop that can actually diagnosis it I think is the best thing to do. They should be able to tell you what the actual problem is, assuming they are a transmission shop,not just parts swappers.

I wouldn't take iron a long drive but I don't think you will do any additional damage to it by driving it short periods.

OP
cardiac5

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
One of the shops said they have an opening tomorrow morning to look at it. The person I talked to this morning said they were booked until Thursday then a different guy answered around 4 and he said bring it by before noon. Everyone else was later this week when I work. I’m going there to have them run tests and see what they say. It’s in 2 high all the time. I checked that also, I put it in and then took it out of 4wd and even ran it in reverse to make sure it was out.

cnelk

WKR
I had the tranny reversed flushed in my ‘09 Sierra a couple years ago at about 115k miles. Just for preventative maintenance.

Made an immediate difference

gelton

WKR
Damn, this is a known issue, I have a 2016 Silverado that had the same thing you are describing. Chevy put out a Service Bulletin for it (first step before an all out recall). I had my Tourque Converter replaced for free at about 40K miles.

Given that this is a known defect, (at least for the 2016's) I would put all the pressure I could on GMC to at least be partially responsible here. The issue is, with 146K miles, the odds are stacked against you.

Edit - and BTW the tourque converter replace fixed it..

Last edited:
OP
cardiac5

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
The shop said it is the shudder that I’m feeling. He said I can drop the Pan and replace the filter to try and help extend the life and possibly help with the shutter. He said he sees a lot of these transmissions have problems around 120k. He said the motor runs great and it shifts great so there isn’t an issue with the transmission. He said if you plan on keeping it and with how many miles I do a new transmission wouldn’t hurt being they usually go out around 200. He said the torque converter is what I need to fix the shudder if new transmission oil and platinum lube guard doesn’t do the trick.

Just make sure you give the new transmission fluid and lube gaurd around 300 miles of driving to see if it fixes it before you give up and replace the torque converter.

Scrappy

WKR
If the shutter goes away trade that pile of junk in on a Toyota rav4. All the money you save on fixing the gmc as well as gas money you will save you can buy you a beater for toying around when you're not traveling for work.

I really don't mean to sound like an ass but use your noggin here. Your blowing a ton of money by driving that truck for work.

Sorry for the rant and not having any thing to add to your questions.

I was you a few years ago and thought I just had to have my bubba truck at all cost until transmission blew.

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
I drive a 2013 Silverado. Just curious if your truck has the original transmission fluid and transfer case fluid? Does your 2014 have the 6sp or 8sp transmission?

keller

WKR
I just read the headline and no further. I work at a dodge. Chevy. Ford. Dealership. The guy that works next to me is a master chev tech.they flush these things all the time for similiar concern. They replace fluid with I believe valvoline synthetic fluid.good success rate on the flush. I am a 32 year dodge tech so we go back and forth on brand issues.

OP
cardiac5

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
I drive a 2013 Silverado. Just curious if your truck has the original transmission fluid and transfer case fluid? Does your 2014 have the 6sp or 8sp transmission?

It was done before I owned it. Then around 100k two of my friends had theirs flushed and both started having transmission problems so I decided not to do mine after reading into it a bunch on the GM forum. It’s the 5.3 6spd.

I know at least 3 people that's have experienced this on similar year/miles Silverado's. 2 Traded them before they got bad enough they couldn't slip them by a dealer, one got stuck putting a new trans and torque converter in for $5k+. I'm not well versed in those trucks, but I'd do the research on displacement on demand related valve train failures in your year/model truck. If the magic lube doesn't cure the shudder in the trans and you end up replacing it, you might be doing a motor in another 20-30k as well. Sucks cause I'm a GM guy, but I haven't seen anything about those trucks that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling after 120K.

OP
cardiac5

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
I know at least 3 people that's have experienced this on similar year/miles Silverado's. 2 Traded them before they got bad enough they couldn't slip them by a dealer, one got stuck putting a new trans and torque converter in for $5k+. I'm not well versed in those trucks, but I'd do the research on displacement on demand related valve train failures in your year/model truck. If the magic lube doesn't cure the shudder in the trans and you end up replacing it, you might be doing a motor in another 20-30k as well. Sucks cause I'm a GM guy, but I haven't seen anything about those trucks that gives me a warm fuzzy feeling after 120K.

That’s not good, I’ve been reading on it since you posted that. He said his computer caught two misfires on number #7 but that the truck wasn’t registering it. I had enough time to change all the plugs and wires on that side tonight and it was fouled. Makes me wonder if it’s just the beginning.