GMU 591 Colorado

Sitting here on GoHunt going over some potential elk hunts OTC, anybody familiar with unit 591 Ft Carson? looks like there is good potential. I would love some insight on the area from anyone with some knowledge. thinking archery or perhaps first rifle. I have been hunting 18,181 last couple of years and while I have been successful I think there are better units. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated!

colomark

FNG
There are a lot of hoops to jump through to hunt Carson. You have to attend a meeting which is only offered certain days/times, then you need to buy a recreation pass, you must register the guns you will use with the base, then they have a special sign in procedure when it comes time to actually hunt. The range is split up into many units some will be open to hunting and some closed. This can change frequently. There are extra rules, of course, which isn't the biggest deal in the world, but they are very strict. Also of note is that they can close the area to hunters at anytime. So if you are coming from a considerable distance, you could show up and they tell you that there are no areas open to hunt. I live in Colorado Springs and have taken their course and even bought the recreation pass, but I've found it to be a bit of a hassle when it comes time to hunt so I haven't for many years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk