Go to knife

With rifle season a few weeks away, what's your go to knife or knives for a post successful hunt? Fixed or replaceable blade?

Personally I use a buck knife for skinning fixed blade, but use an outdoor edge replaceable blade after the thick hide.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

OP
Sbarrera185
How do you like that havalon? I've seen it pop up a few times on camofire

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the Dark Timber combo from Outdoor Edge. If it's sharp going in you can get through an elk pretty easy and if it dulls it's super easy to touch up the blade with a little pocket sharpener.

Thedeerfarmer

Lil-Rokslider
I've been liking the Tyto original one (before they got too big) for most everything. I'm a big fan of the replaceable blade knives but the havalon and OE got real gunked up real quick doing 6-12 whitetails a year. I haven't found a fixed blade I've loved yet but trying more this season so maybe I will!

Anozira

WKR
I tried a Tyto and havalon and went back to my replaceable blade outdoor edge, you can't beat them. The onyx lite is only 2oz if I recall and earned a permanent spot in my pack.

OP
Sbarrera185
I really like the Dark Timber combo from Outdoor Edge. If it's sharp going in you can get through an elk pretty easy and if it dulls it's super easy to touch up the blade with a little pocket sharpener.

What are you using for sharpening out on the field?

robtattoo

WKR
Depends what I'm doing.
Regular, normal, run of the mill deer/hogs/elk/antelope out of camp, I have this 4½" O1 carbon hunting knife that I build about 10 years ago (when I still had the time to do such things.....) It's been everywhere with me & I still think it's the perfect knife.
20190917_190815.jpg

If I'm trying to be all backcountry cool & ultralight-backpacky (not so much these days) I have a Tyto/Victorinox/tinytool combo set that's been outstandingly reliable

20190917_190934.jpg

These Victorinox paring knives are remarkable! They'll take a great edge (although you'll need a way to touch it up, real quick) and at under $10 & I think maybe an ounce weight (?) They're an ultralight dream!

Cutco double D drop point hunter. Will field process several elk, deer, bear, you name it in a season without needing sharpening. No need to cary extra weight of a stone. I just send mine in over the summer, back in a week, for sharpening. Going on 10 years with it. It must have been out of spec last summer as they sent me a brand new one. They are scary sharp. Nice bright orange rubber handle that is nice and grippy even with bloody, fat covered hands.

Lawnboi

WKR
I have a hand full of customs, some bark river and a couple Benchmade, and some Japanese kitchen knives.

The knives I almost always have in the field are LT Wright.

Small northern hunter with a blaze handle does it all.
Frontier first in a magnetic pocket sheath for small stuff.
Swoop for boning.

I have a bunch of others but the above 3 are my favorite.

Best thing about LT is they are more affordable than some other options. And their work has been Much more consistent imo

Tried a couple havalons a while ago and didn’t care for the replaceable blade knives at all. Also I try to avoid folders, just preference

Ratbeetle

WKR
My favorite is a Shaerk Little Mook. Perfect size for backpack hunts. The one I have now is plain old 1095 but I'm going to get another in s30v.

I like sharp pokey things.

Havalon for skinning.
Winkler hunting knife or a zero tolerance folder for general use
Some kind of multi tool for fixin things.

OP
Sbarrera185
For those using a fixed blade, what are you using to sharpen out on the field? Rock or another method? I've been looking at the work sharp. Any feedback on that?

For those using a fixed blade, what are you using to sharpen out on the field? Rock or another method? I've been looking at the work sharp. Any feedback on that?

I run a Cutco double D so I don’t need/can’t field sharpen it. One less thing to pack.

WKR
Ingram for general stuff, havalon for caping. Those little Victorinox maybe something I look at though.

Works in the field or similar lansky one is what I use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk