Good books????

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
Another series I’ve been reading here and there are the Pickett novels by CJ Box. Curious what others opinions are? I’ve only read the first three or four. For me, so far, pretty pulpy and difficult for me to hold interest. That guy is crazy prolific, more power to him either way.

On another note, not “western” but I’m near done with Mile Marker 0 by William McKeen. Intersecting stories of Jimmy Buffett, Jim Harrison, Jerry Jeff Walker, Tom McGuane, etc, down in Key West. It’s a fast read, very funny. Warning though, if you know a little about that those folks, then it’s a little coarse in narrative. And rightfully so, that you get the feel for that particular place in time. Entertaining book for sure

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Almost anything by Cormac McCarthy :)

Not generally "man I feel great after reading this" novels, but so descriptively written; if he's not the best 21st century American author, not sure who is.

Another series I’ve been reading here and there are the Pickett novels by CJ Box. Curious what others opinions are? I’ve only read the first three or four. For me, so far, pretty pulpy and difficult for me to hold interest. That guy is crazy prolific, more power to him either way.

On another note, not “western” but I’m near done with Mile Marker 0 by William McKeen. Intersecting stories of Jimmy Buffett, Jim Harrison, Jerry Jeff Walker, Tom McGuane, etc, down in Key West. It’s a fast read, very funny. Warning though, if you know a little about that those folks, then it’s a little coarse in narrative. And rightfully so, that you get the feel for that particular place in time. Entertaining book for sure

I’ve read the Pickett series a couple of times. Wasn’t bad at all! His other series Hoyt/Dewell was pretty good too!

The next step up in my opinion though was the Longmire series. It was dang good, it’s even better if you’ve never watched the Netflix series because the show butchered it haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dboone3

Lil-Rokslider

I like the Pickett novels a lot. I've read the first 10 so far. They are easy reads and I like the settings.

I like the Pickett novels a lot. I've read the first 10 so far. They are easy reads and I like the settings.
I agree that they are like dumb guilty fun. I keep reading them despite the two things that bug me:

1) The bureaucratic villains are kind of comical. I’ve worked in government most of my working career and the depictions are so unrealistic it’s funny.

2) the depictions of firearms and long range ballistics are COMICALLY bad. Like Nate’s long range prowess with a revolver is just dumb sci-fi stuff.

For non fiction - I'm reading the Big Burn by Timothy Egan right now, it's a fascinating look at the history of the conservation movement started by Theodore Roosevelt including the start of the forest service.

Blood Ties by Ted Kersote is also an awesome book about hunting.

Looking to get into some CJ Box for fiction here soon.

Wmsc

FNG
If you are looking for fiction Tony Hillerman writes great page turners.

taskswap

WKR
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson is freaking hysterical, at least to me.

Hunting High Country Mule Deer by Eastman was very helpful for me when I started getting into Muley's.

The Big Burn by Timothy Eagan is quite good for a non fiction title, and set right in the middle of of the West.

I also really enjoy reading Thomas McGuane, total trout weenie at times but the essays are short and enjoyable.

awhit13

FNG
Looking to add to the collection. Anyone read or currently reading any really good western/Alaskan type books?
One Mans’s Wilderness - Sam Keith
Curl - Dwight Killpack
The Great Wild Sheep Adventure - Leonard Hansen

Haven’t read these yet but they are on my list;
Wild Men, Wild Alaska - Rocky McEleveen
On Caribou - Duncan Gilchrist

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
+2 for Undaunted Courage-Stephen Ambrose. (About Lewis and Clark and Corp of Discovery) Fantastic detailed account.

awhit13

FNG
Following up on my previous post. On Caribou wasn’t as great of a read as I hoped. Most of the book felt like a high school report on caribou. There were a few stories mixed in but not enough to warrant a recommendation.
Wild Men, Wild Alaska however was a great book. Filled with stories from an old Alaska hunting and fishing guide. Each was very well written. I would highly recommend that book.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Good Cowboy by Edward Abbey- not the author you'd guess for a Western, but it's a dandy- set in New Mexico just after WWII

bpa556

FNG
I’ve got nothing original to add but for fiction:
“Lonesome Dove” is probably my favorite novel and it’s got a great western them. I also like a lot of McMurtry’s other books like the ones from the “Last Picture Show” set of books. (Duane and Sonny series???) set in a small oil town in west Texas. Cormac McCarthy was my other favorite contemporary novelist and “Blood Meridian”, “No Country for Old Men” and the Border Trilogy Set are all just amazing boos with western themes.

As for Non-Fixtion: “Undaunted Courage” about the Lewis and Clark voyage is fantastic. I’m currently re reading it. “Crazy Horse and Custer” by the same author, Stephen Ambrose is also excellent. I can also highly recommend “Empire of the Summer Moon” about the Comanche Nation. Just absolutely fantastic storytelling and doesn’t hold back on the sheer brutality of both sides.

One book I haven’t seen mentioned is “Blood and Thunder” by Hampton Sides. It’s a really well written history of the settling of New Mexico focusing on the Navajo Nation, along with Kit Carson. I really liked that book.

This is just about verbatim what I would have written.

I’ll add, if you enjoy narrated books, Lonesome Dove is probably the best narrated book I’ve ever listened to (I’ve also read it at least 4 times). I’m sad all of the series weren’t narrated by the same man.

At nearly 37 hours, it’s a great road trip listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vaultman

WKR
A few books about Alaska based Pararescue men:

Never Quit - by Jimmy Settle and Don Rearden
Warriors Creed - by Roger Sparks and Don Rearden