Goretex trail shoes and gators??

Kebler

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone use this setup, I'm a ultra trail guy, and use this system to run trails, anyone use them hunting. I'm thinking about using them for high country mule deer hunt. The lack of ankle support for hauling meat is my only concern. My pack in will weight 35 to 40 lbs.

Well if ya run ultra's then I bet you have rolled your ankles enough to be able to take minor spills, and you shoul have fairly strong ankles. But I used my trail shoes to do a three day scouting trip, and I said not for me. When I started to side hill with any kind of weight for a period of time my ankles had no support and that also somehow transferred to my instep getting really tired and sore. I am going to look for a mid height gortex boot that is light weight. Probably will start off at REI and then look else where if that doesn't work out.

OP
K

Kebler

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, I'm thinking a Salomon hiking boot, the side hilling with with weight is a recipe for disaster.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I do most of my summer hiking and bear hunts in trail runners for several years. Packing 80 plus pounds in trail runners isnt' as nice as a full shank boot no, but its doable and I don't mind it so long as its not a constant side hill for miles on end, 2 or 3 miles is ok but not forever with that weight. I find it builds my ankle muscles for the fall. So by the time fall rolls around and I put my feet in full shank boots for packing and have all those strengthened muscles it feel very confident on the hill. Its a good way to build those stabilizer muscles and save some weight on the summer/scouting/hunting hikes.