Gov Shutdown: Wisconsin DIY Public Land Archery Hunt

Hi Guys,

I'm a federal worker that appears to be staring down an impending government shutdown...I figure what better way to use that time than deer hunting? After quite a bit of research over the last week or so, I've settled on making the drive to Wisconsin (all the way from here in central Florida). Specifically, I'm looking at Waushara and Marquette counties. I understand these areas get quite a bit of pressure from neighboring Oshkosh, but I'm hoping that between it being bow season and hunting during the week I'll be able to get away from the crowds. I'm hoping to target the smaller parcels of public land such as fishery areas to try and get close to ag fields, but I'm open to suggestions. My goal for the trip to experience what an actual mid west whitetail hunt is like and just set eyes on a big deer, which is so rare down here in Florida. If I come home with a decent buck, that'd be a bonus. If we stay shutdown for a while, I'll be hoping to get about 8 days of hunting in starting Oct 3. I'd appreciate any incite, motivation, tactics, or horror stories you'd be willing to share.

Thanks!

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I grew up not far from there. If it were me and driving that far I'd look a bit to the west. Look up the Meadow Valley Wildlife Area. A crap ton of state land that you can get way off the beaten trail. Great bucks in there.

OP
B
Huge thank you for the suggestion. For whatever reason I breezed over Meadow Valley, but was considering Jackson and Clark Counties for a bit. Meadow Valley looks like a lot of marsh, is that true? I'm not afraid to get my feet wet to get away from people...been doing it all my life down here in FL. It looks like camping somewhere like Warrens could give me easy access to a lot of land in Jackson County too.

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
I would not count on the woods being empty just cause it's archery. Still think about the overlooked areas. Pay attention to community scrapes this time of year. If you can find tore up ones you'll find the bucks

i think the youth gun hunt is near your window of being out here. just know the dates cause your suppose to use orange then. also verify if any fisheries you want to hunt are actually open to hunting, On xhas corrected the ones i know are closed but would hate for you to get a ticket not realising they are a lot of times closed to hunting. the WI DNR website usually has a map making it clear if you can or cant hunt as a secondary confirmation.

We have land in Waushara county thats not too far from public. I usually see cars parked there on the weekend but I think you will have alot of places to yourself during the week. As mentioned, the youth deer hunt is 10/07-10/08 amd you will need to wear orange.

OP
B
Thanks guys, I missed the youth deer hunt dates. I'll pack an orange vest for those dates. I really like Wisconsin DNR's GIS map. Makes it easy to see what areas are open/closed. Much easier than combing through brochures here in Florida.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
The Meadow Valley WA is quite marshy, lots of cranberry bogs, but there is a lot of timberland too. My buddy's place is about 15 NE of Warrens, hunted that area almost my whole life. Just don't try to be anywhere near Warrens this weekend as it is the Cranberry Festival. That is quite the zoo.

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
I would look at farther north, for a more enjoyable experience. Might not be what you quite picture for Midwest whitetail, but I think it would be a lot more fun.

I lived over there for a few years after growing up out west, the southern WI/MN thing didn’t do it for me. I loved being up north, and much less pressure.

OP
B
Thanks again for all the suggestions! Right now, I'm still looking at Meadow Valley/Jackson County area as NRA4LIFE suggested. I thought about a north woods hunt, but I think I'd prefer to stay further south. I know there will be more pressure, but I like the idea of higher deer densities. That being said, I'll be camping so I will have the flexibility to move around as needed.

As for looking further west as Forestryguy mentioned, I didn't see nearly as much public available to hunt along the river. Unless you're speaking about the river bottom itself? Access looked difficult and I won't have a boat to get to the hard to reach places, sadly.

KHNC

WKR
Did you post an update for all the people that gave you advice? How was your hunt?

ScottP

WKR
The gov didn't shut down, so maybe the dream died. But surely the possibility of another shutdown will happen again, and maybe during the rut!

To the OP: I can't comment on your locations per se, but I lived in WI for 30 years. Shot deer on private and public. Sounds like you have some great starting points. I hope you get to go do that hunt. Archery season on the public lands can be good. Sometimes the squirrel hunters will booger a hunt or two if you're in the oaks.

Lots of opportunity across the state, and great hunting can be had if you're resourceful. Deer density is higher in the southern/agricultural areas of the state. Bigger public blocks are in the north and generally have lower deer numbers. Guys kill big bucks in those public areas where you could also be duck hunting.