Grinders

huntsd

WKR
Looking to buy a grinder to make deer burger. Any recommendations on brand/power?

PNWGATOR

WKR
Get at least a 1hp model regardless of brand. We’ve had good luck with a Cabelas carnivore, but with the state of Cabelas and their change in business model and quality you may try elsewhere.

rayporter

WKR
i have a pair of 3/4 hp grinders that do an awesome job. grind as fast as you can feed it. one has done 5 deer and an elk in a season.

i have burned up 2 half hp units. up in smoke!

keller

WKR
I stepped up to the cabelas carnivore 1hp. From a 350 watt.WOW. that thing will grind some meat.i did 50 lbs the other day in minutes.they also have ice packs that strap onto the grinder head to keep things cool and they work. Cabelas sucks but that grinder works

I’m a fan of LEM due to quality. I invested in the big bite #8 grinder and had no issues processing two deer within a week of each other this season. If you need a bigger grinder, go bigger. LEM has outstanding products.

Trial153

WKR
The biggest consideration is neck to motor ratio.
Sizing down work fine, sizing up not so much.
When you see .5 and .75 motors that are going to push through size 12 and 22 necks your asking for crappy performance especially on second grinds
size 8 neck stay with .5 hp

Size 12 neck, .75 or 1 hp

Size 22, 1hpm min and 1.5 is even better.

If your on a table top or free standing unit with 32 neck, you better be looking at a minimum of 1.5hp

Also keep in mind that the smaller the neck the less waste you have per grind, something to consider if your using the grinder mostly for your home kitchen applications.

I have a 1hp table top with a size 22 neck for the house. And in my shop i had free standing commercial Hobart that had size 32 neck, it was probably equivalent to about 2hp

I need to look at what I have.
Its little 500 w #8 maybe its a #5?

I've never really powered it out but its slower as heck.
I was under the impression I needed to step up neck size.
And that a high horse #8 wouldn't really cut it.

That you need to get up to #22???

Legend

WKR
Just ground 160lbs yesterday through a #12 on a 3/4hp. Works fine for first grind. Don't bother trying a second as it sucks with the small neck. I will be buying a 32 or nothing next.

Check out the prices at meatyourmaker.com
I have a LEM 3/4 hp and love it but if I were purchasing one now I would seriously look at them. As far as having trouble with the second grind, if you keep your meat cold and loose it will feed just fine. It creates a vacuum seal when you try to stuff the feed tube. Keep your meat loose and crumbly and you can feed it just as fast as the first grind.

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
Since the BPS take over Cabelas has refused to honor the lifetime warranty on Cabelas branded gear. Avoid them.

Weston is doing 25% off with promocode MeatEater25. I'd start there
Also check out LEM and MEAT.

RS3579

WKR
I have a LEM #12. I got a deal on it that’s the reason for a #12. I did 40lb of deer and 50 lb of elk this year. It worked flawlessly. Good luck in your search.

Gbrecka

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 3/4 HP Weston for a year now with no complaints. Goes through a deer fast.

We burned up one cheap flea-bay Chinese grinder, and two Cabela's grinders. I found an OLD grinder on Craigslist, and I think it will grind anything that will fit down the throat.

I've found there seems to be a relationship between the weight of a grinder, (or cuber, or slicer), and how good it is. The grinder portion of this one is a Hobart #22, and the motor/gearbox is a Hoover/Simpson and weighs 143 lbs. Best $50 I've ever spent! Keep looking, they are out there, and will probably be running when we are all gone. Just make sure you have a designated place for them, so you aren't having to move them before and after each use.

Outlaw99

WKR
I’ve had this one for 3 years now. https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-commercial-grade-1-1-2hp-carnivore-meat-grinder
The first one, the threads stripped out on the end in the middle of grinding an elk. It was less than a month old. I called bass pro and said I was on my way in, and they exchanged it no questions. I’ve done somewhere around 35 deer on the replacement with zero issues. You literally cannot feed it fast enough on the first initial grind. I can literally grind out a whole boned out deer in less than five minutes on the first initial grind. The second grind and stuffing takes a little more time as you spend more time and effort stuffing. Make sure you invest in a foot pedal no matter what. Honestly, the most time consuming issue with this grinder is cleaning out the 2 different grinding plates when you’re all done. I’m not a fan of anything Cabelas since the buyout, but this grinder is an absolute beast.

JFK

WKR
LEM 3/4hp big bite grinder is what I have. I’m sure there are better grinders out there but the one I have works very well. I typically only grind once through a medium plate, and it grinds as fast as I can drop meat into it.

keller

WKR
i recently bought a cabelas grinder the older model.oct 1 2020.they now changed the grinder,i used it twice the gearbox shaft seal started leaking so i called to return it they were on the fence about taking it back less than 90 days later. finally spoke to someone who agreed to take it back. got my refund.goodbye cabelas never again.