Grizzly hunter killed in BC

OP
todd kelly
"........A U.S. woman says her husband was the 59-year-old Washington state hunter who was shot and killed Monday during a bear hunt in northern B.C.

Shirley Cooper told the Longview Daily News that her husband, Jeff Cooper, had been hunting a grizzly bear with guides at the time of his death.

The man’s family told the newspaper he wounded a grizzly Sunday night and tracked the bear down the next morning with two guides.

The bear charged the group and everyone fired. A bullet struck and killed Cooper......"

Bar

Banned
That's terrible. I would rather of been killed by the bear than the guide. Not a good way to go.

Stid2677

WKR
I almost had the same thing happen to me. Changed how and who I hunts bears with...

Shrek

WKR
Terrible tragedy ! I can't even imagine the pain of the family and the guilt and second guessing the guides are going through.

Bighorse

WKR
Your best bear guides have a tracking dog and insist on going in solo. If your a client, you better have your shooting skills tight. I just did a solo coastal Brown Bear hunt that didn't go smooth. I tracked him for two days. Finally found him and he wasn't dead or anywhere near it. My dog was essential in the recovery. Without him I could have just as easily stumbled on him laying in wait. Bears are tough, tough, tough if you hit them wrong!

Dido on the sentiment from Stid. Choose your bear hunting companions well. It's not the environment for a mentorship. Two well trained hunters with good tracking skills, marksmenship, and experience could save you from serious injury or death.

60x

WKR
Sadly it's not the first time. It happened here in alaska some years back. Lots of lives were changed. Prayers for the family..

Wow, I started to panic when I began reading this thread thinking this could be someone I knew. My good friend (who is in his fifties and from Washington State) has also been on a grizzly hunt for the past week in BC and haven't heard any updates from him as they are way back in (same area we do our summer fly fishing trips). My prayers go out to this mans family.