Ground up heart added to burger..?

Has anyone tried this? I've never eaten heart before but I am listening to a podcast at work right now and they mentioned there's a company that does this to their beef. Never heard or honestly thought of it before, but....

Hunting season is nearing and now I am curious. Tried it? How's it taste? How much meat (weight?) Do you get off a typical bull elk heart?

Trying to live extremely healthy this days and this has me very interested.

OP
Idaho4x4Bronco
Yeah, I thought that's what everyone did. It never really occured to me to add it to the burger for extra flavor and the health boost you get from eating the heart and liver. I'm super curious how it tastes and the flavor it adds now.

ChrisA

WKR
Boil then simmer until tender, cool, slice into 1/4" cross-sections, add to sweet pickling brine with lots of sliced white onions, let sit in fridge for 4 days, enjoy!

TSAMP

WKR
I'm with the dont grind it crowd. It seems kind of silly when you think of the amount of grind you'd typically get compared to the size of the heart. You get one strand of heart meat in your 1lb poly bag, assuming you mixed perfectly...

Berger024

WKR
I cut it into small cubes then cook it with bacon in a cast iron skillet. When it’s done I serve it with hash browns and a couple of over easy eggs on top 🤤
I usually soak in buttermilk overnight and then pepper and fry with bacon grease...I will definitely be trying your method this season. Sounds amazing, I'm a sucker for anything breakfast related.

The heart is a treat to eat. There are lots of great heart recipes out there.
I wouldn't add it to grind.

My personal favorite is heart tacos!

JakeSCH

WKR
My buddy grinds his heart into his burger. It's good...but like others i cut in strips and pan fry with steak seasonings.

Last year I made a ton of random cuts of elk steaks for a bunch non hunting church buddies. A few said they really liked the long strip pieces...asked what it was...face turned pale white for a second when i told them it was heart. They couldn't believe that was their favorite.

FLATHEAD

WKR
My buddy grinds his heart into his burger. It's good...but like others i cut in strips and pan fry with steak seasonings.

Last year I made a ton of random cuts of elk steaks for a bunch non hunting church buddies. A few said they really liked the long strip pieces...asked what it was...face turned pale white for a second when i told them it was heart. They couldn't believe that was their favorite.
Did the same with family and Whitetail heart. Was frying it up in the kitchen and it was
disappearing as fast as I could cook it. Till somebody asked what part it was, then it
all got returned.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I eat heart breaded and fried. It is too good for burgers in my opinion. But, burger is better than wasting it.

OP
Idaho4x4Bronco
Damn, this thread made me hungry.

Okay well, I guess that answers that. I've never tried heart before but do believe it's time!

Antares

WKR
I'm definitely in the "treat it as a delicacy and eat it on it's own" club, but I'd say adding it to your grind pile is a better option than leaving it in the field.

OP
Idaho4x4Bronco
I believe the podcast I was listening to said the company mentioned was grinding it into the burger to give the burger a lot more health benefits, but I would also assume they have more to go around then a hunter would.

Is the heart from say, a muley, just as packed with health benefits?