Grouse .22 pistol

taskswap

WKR
Have you tried the CCI sub sonic “semi auto” variation? I have no issues with that in my mark iv. I haven’t had any issues with mine cycling but I only shoot that or the CCI standards in mine.
No, but thanks for the tip, I will. I probably have 15 different brands and variants on the shelf here but I don't see any of those. Guess they never went on sale where I buy my ammo. :) I'll try some this year for sure.

wesfromky

WKR
No, but thanks for the tip, I will. I probably have 15 different brands and variants on the shelf here but I don't see any of those. Guess they never went on sale where I buy my ammo. :) I'll try some this year for sure.
I shoot Aguila 38gn subsonic hp out of my tikka t1x and mark IV. Very quiet, cycles fine and kills squirrels without issue. I could probably play around with other rounds and get something that groups slightly better, but these are good enough and easy to buy bulk.

mjh

FNG
22/45 or MK which ever one fits your hand better. I've had both, currently have a MK IV Hunter wouldn't mind a 22/45. A threaded barrel can be nice. With both models in the IV series it's now very easy to change barrels. I picked up a shortened and threaded barrel off of Volquartsen's clearance page. Thinking about a suppressor with the new barrel.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've got a 22/45 that I like BUT I'm not as good of a shot with a pistol and put together a different setup for grouse that I'm more accurate with and is still relatively compact. Cheap savage rascal, a folding stock and CCI "quite" which out of a 16" barrel sound like an airgun.

RrGlfxKl.jpg

PdIWxqTl.jpg

(The below photo was two hunters, I didn't exceed my daily limit)
n7OZzEcl.jpg

fmyth

WKR
I've got a 22/45 that I like BUT I'm not as good of a shot with a pistol and put together a different setup for grouse that I'm more accurate with and is still relatively compact. Cheap savage rascal, a folding stock and CCI "quite" which out of a 16" barrel sound like an airgun.

RrGlfxKl.jpg

PdIWxqTl.jpg

(The below photo was two hunters, I didn't exceed my daily limit)
n7OZzEcl.jpg
What does this rifle weigh?

TaperPin

WKR
I had a snub nose 22 outshoot my Ruger semi auto, so I bought the bull barrel version which wasn’t any more accurate. Maybe I’m the only one with bad luck with these.

Axlrod

WKR
A lot of folks have reported really liking the Taurus TX22. Pretty cheap and apparently cycles most ammo. I’ve been thinking about getting one. Comes with a threaded barrel as well.

I have one of the Tx22's it is not anywhere close to being in the same league as the Ruger Mark guns accuracy wise. I have a 22/45 Lite, a MKII target, and a couple Mark IV hunters, they all will out shoot the TX by a long way.

I have one of the Tx22's it is not anywhere close to being in the same league as the Ruger Mark guns accuracy wise. I have a 22/45 Lite, a MKII target, and a couple Mark IV hunters, they all will out shoot the TX by a long way.
That’s good to know. Which Ruger Mark model do you find to be the best bang for the buck (pun intended)?

I have a bull barrel mark IV that is a shooter but definitely wish it was a lite when it’s on my hip.

I forget what the barreled action alone weights offhand but this setup weights 3lb, 0.6oz with 10rds of ammo on my scale.

qeXY4IAl.jpg
That thing's pretty slick. I was planning to carry my 10/22 backpacker before I picked up the FN502. It's a little heavy at 4 lbs 2 oz with ammo and the reflex site and barrel mount rail but sure is fun to shoot.
Edit: That's with the suppressor also.

Attachments

• PXL_20240205_163228109.jpg
    PXL_20240205_163228109.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 22
  • PXL_20240205_163119471.jpg
    PXL_20240205_163119471.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 22

Axlrod

WKR
That’s good to know. Which Ruger Mark model do you find to be the best bang for the buck (pun intended)?
My MKII- I paid $119 for it in 1982 :D. It has north of 10k rounds through it.
I like shooting the heavier ones better, but the lites are great for hunting. And the lites are a little less money. I have a Holosun on my Hunter stainless, and it is very fun to shoot. I put Volqursten trigger kits in all of them.

If you really want to dive into the MK pistols go to Rimfire central.
They have 7 different sub forums, each dealing with the different models.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That thing's pretty slick. I was planning to carry my 10/22 backpacker before I picked up the FN502. It's a little heavy at 4 lbs 2 oz with ammo and the reflex site and barrel mount rail but sure is fun to shoot.
Edit: That's with the suppressor also.
That's solid too. My setup isn't gonna be as stout in the rip area but its good enough for a 22lr assuming I don't beat on it, the nice thing is it just unfolds and clicks into place so if its in a side stash in a pack you can grab it and open it up quickly.

That's solid too. My setup isn't gonna be as stout in the rip area but its good enough for a 22lr assuming I don't beat on it, the nice thing is it just unfolds and clicks into place so if its in a side stash in a pack you can grab it and open it up quickly.
So it's a hinge that just folds out? Yeah that's way faster than putting together a 10/22 takedown lol.

finner

Lil-Rokslider
Ruger MKIV with a TacSol barrel and suppressor. Stupid fun

Bama67

FNG
Interesting. My cheap Taurus TX22 is just as accurate as my 22/45 Lite, is also quite a bit lighter, and carries almost twice as many rounds. The Ruger is also susceptible to jamming and misfeeds.
I only ever shoot the TX22 now when we break out the .22's
That or my M&P .22 compact, which is also another sweet shooter.
I run a Liberty Kodiak TL on them.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So it's a hinge that just folds out? Yeah that's way faster than putting together a 10/22 takedown lol.
Yeah a hinge that is spring loaded to slide a tab in the grip portion sideways on the hinge pin so it pushes a section into place to lock it up once you open it, to fold it you have to slide the handle portion sideways on the hinge pin before you can fold it. (Look close at that first picture) Due to wanting to keep the whole thing slim there is a limitation to how stout that piece of the stock can be and what I'd view as the weak link if mishandled (if you flexed that "tab" hard I'm sure you could break it off). But for the use case I made it for it seems to work fine so far, worse case I make another one and/or switch up the material. :)

SharkDog

FNG
A lot of folks have reported really liking the Taurus TX22. Pretty cheap and apparently cycles most ammo. I’ve been thinking about getting one. Comes with a threaded barrel as well.

My TX22 shoots very well. I don't have a ruger to compare it it to, but I have been very happy with the accuracy. I started the wait on a Nyx in November.

mjh

FNG
I was going to say, I've also been know to carry an Ruger SP 101 .22lr 8rds while grouse hunting with a single shot 20ga in the north woods.

Carry what your happy to and competent with.