Guide to First Elk Hunt

TN731

FNG
Hey guys, I’m new to the forum and so far, I am really enjoying the threads and articles. I have been interested in doing a diy backcountry elk hunt for years, and I’ve just now gotten to the point in my life where I can manage it. I am from Tennessee and I don’t have any contacts out West, nor do I have any experience hunting elk. I have hunted everything under the sun in TN, and I would consider myself an avid hunter.

Does anyone know of a “guide” for first timers? I have done a ton of research through the internet, forums, Eastman’s taghub, and huntwise and I don’t know that I’m any closer than I was when I began. Mainly, what I’m looking for is the best place for a first time hunter and how to go about draws. I am not picky on the state I hunt. However, I bought a preference point for Montana 2020 this year to go ahead and get a start on a hunt in MT.

And yes, before anyone suggest to search the forums. I have extensively searched, and I still don’t have a clue!

Thanks guys for any and all help!

Currently solo
I don’t have any info on guides, but if you’ve spent time in the mountains and are comfortable up there you can do it solo. I’ve never even hunted anything before until this elk season. I live in CO so I’m comfortable solo in the mountains, but I’m currently in the midst of my first hunting season and solo and have had no issues. But hiring a guide as long as it’s a decent one probably wouldn’t be a bad choice either.
Just saying don’t be afraid to tackle it solo if you think you can handle it.

OP
TN731

TN731

FNG
I’ve been trying to talk my brother and a buddy into going. I wouldn’t want to go into grizz country solo.

You can actually hunt any state including Montana and Wyoming without being in grizzly country.

Time of year plays a big part as well. Are you hunting early season Archery or oct-nov rifle. big difference in equipment needed between 40-80 degree days and 0-40 degree days.

What i have done and seen is making lists of each component of the hunt. gear, area, weather, food...etc. research each area, dial it in like that... eat the elephant one bite at a time per sey.

also get in great shape...notice i didnt say good. i mean great. 9-10k feet will kick your behind if you dont live and work in it 24/7. get in what you think is the shape you need to be in and then get in better shape yet.

I wish you good luck in your journey, it will be an experience you will not soon forget.

Poser

WKR
My advice? Don’t overthink it. You need experience hunting elk and backcountry experience out West in general. The only way to do that is to hunt. Choose a weapon, pick an available unit to you with that weapon that looks like country you’d fancy killing an elk in and go for it. In the meantime, spend as much time camping in the manner you intend to hunt as possible, be it trucking camping, base camping or backpacking. That learning curve needs to be out of the way so you can effectively focus on hunting. If there is anyway possible for you to do a dedicated scouting trip George the season, you’re learning curve will be pushed ahead considerably. This cannot be emphasized enough. You really need to make that happen.

Caveat Emptor: I headed out west from Tennessee to hunt elk for the first time 6 years ago and I decided that I had to move out here shortly thereafter.

OP
TN731

TN731

FNG
Thanks a lot for all the replies and helpful information. I plan to hunt with a rifle on my first trip. Yes, I plan on hitting the gym hard as soon as my gym at work opens back up. I was going regularly before it closed for covid and I felt like I was in decent shape. My farm in Tennessee has steep hills and hollers, I know it’s not comparable, but I think it will help me train as well. Definitely will try to do a scouting trip if work and family allow. I have made a spreadsheet of all the gear that I think I will need broken down by cost and weight. It has allowed me to get an idea of the weight I will be carrying, and the cost of equipment that I have left to buy. Again, thanks for all of your help. I look forward to more advice.

Carrera72

FNG
Look at reservation hunts. I have been able to apply for reservation tags after state results were posted (Unsuccessful in state draw). This gives you more chances of getting a tag and being able to hunt.

closer/cheaper
Omg man those are not at the top of my list for a successful elk hunt. It’s closer and cheaper to stay home! A bit more driving and a few more bucks for less hunters and better hunting would be my suggestion.

My farm in Tennessee has steep hills and hollers, I know it’s not comparable, but I think it will help me train as well.

I started out with no hunting experience outside of Georgia, so I have a good idea of where you are at. My advice: Go to Home Depot and get a bag of sand. Separate in half using yard bags, and wrap them in duct tape. Put it in your pack, starting out with 1. Work your way up to both before you leave for your trip. And make sure you go on some long walks with your pack on, with weight, wearing your boots you will take on your trip.

Hike your hills and hollers, but if you have access to a gym, as a first step, get on the stair stepper two or three times per week with your tennis shoes, for 20-30 min at a time. As your trip gets closer, use the stair stepper with your pack on. Another alternative is if you have any stadiums or parking garages with stairwells nearby, you can use those with your pack on, and wear your boots. Don't have to be fast, just keep moving. For the stadiums and stairwells where you might rest every once in awhile, I would aim for 1 hour.

Another thing that I found useful is a wobble board (link below). Helps to strengthen the lateral muscles as well as improve balance. I stand on it while watching TV sometimes.

You can't be in too good of shape for a backpack hunt, but if you are also lifting weights, try to focus on your legs (squats, lunges), and cardio. Check out Mountain Tought Fitness as well:

Last piece of advice: Don't plan the trip with anyone who isn't going to physically work/train as hard as you will, willing to get the proper gear, and put the time in at the range to be proficient at longer ranges. I have lots of (southeastern whitetail hunting) friends who I see each fall and during the holiday season who always talk about going out west (usually an "archery DIY") on their 10th beer, but that's as far as it goes.

Last edited:
I’m really interested in this thread too. I’m planning a first time elk hunt out west somewhere, Colorado, Wyoming, or Montana. I do have a preference point for Montana and Wyoming. Out of the 3 states which one would be a good choice for a September archery hunt for 2 rookies? I have a buddy going out too, who’s never been elk hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk