Gun safe and contractors.... ?

TruckMonkey

Lil-Rokslider
About to hire some folks to frame my basement. The quote is too good to pass up.

The issue is I have my 900 lb gun safe and contents in the basement. I worry about who knows it’s there. It’s a decent safe, but I am sure it’s not impenetrable if someone made plans. Besides, I don’t want anyone to come and try even if they don’t get in. It is too heavy to move back up and then back down the switchback stairs. It was pretty sketchy getting it down in the first place.

What do I do?

I can cover it with moving blankets.

I could remove all the contents and leave it empty with the door open.

I could just leave it as is, locked up.

I could get some additional cameras and/or home security before the contractors come.

I could suffer through doing this project over a month that these guys will do for the cost of a couple extra shifts at work to avoid this concern.

Can’t decide what to do? Any suggestions?

Sell33

Lil-Rokslider
If I didn’t trust A contractor I wouldn’t want them in my house to begin with. Worst case I’d say leave it, bolt it down, and have them frame it in tight so only access is the door side. That side will be hardest to break in if it ever happens.

KBC

WKR
Why don’t you work a few extra shifts and do the work yourself over a month? Then you have extra gun money to put more fun things in the safe and the basement is nicer. Sounds like a win-win to me...

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
I’d try to hide the safe somehow and remove all indication that you have guns or valuables in a specific spot like the safe. People talk.

I had a guy do some work on my house once and this guy was recommended by a realtor. Long story short, I later found out he was a junky and had multiple felonies on his record. Luckily, I happened to be moving out when I found out this info so I was just paranoid that he had stolen from me.

Example: 5 years from now your neighbor’s kid or your nephew becomes a junky and tells his buddies or drug dealer about how badass your basement is and how you have all these cool guns in the basement safe. He also knows you’re on vacation. Maybe he doesn’t even do it intentionally. That’s how burglaries happen often times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first red flag I see in your post is “the quote is too good to pass up.” Also if you get a strange feeling from the contractor, walk away. Always trust your gut. As a drywall contractor I’ll get homeowners or generals who will say they’ve got a quote cheaper from other contractors and ask if I can do it for their price and I’ll pass on the job. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve got a call back to come in and finish the job cause they under bid it and walked off or done a piss poor job and I’ll get asked to come back and clean up a crappy job. I’m not saying they will, but I’m wary of super cheap people leaving a customer high and dry. Good work ain’t cheap and cheap work ain’t good.

Drenalin

WKR
I personally wouldn’t worry about it, but if I was really concerned I’d move the safe out until they’re done. Your post indicates it’s difficult to move - not impossible. If you feel that people knowing you have a safe is a security concern, then a little hard work doesn’t seem like it’d be too high of a price to pay for peace of mind. Before you put yourself through that, think about how many people already know it’s there - it doesn’t seem like much of a secret from here.

I’d be more worried about why this guy is so cheap. When something seems too good to be true, it is.

def90

WKR
Hmmm, I work residential construction and one of the things I do is install security alarms, if someone’s house gets broken in to I’m going to hear about it. In 28 years of doing this working in high end homes with safes, drawers full of Rolexs, high dollar artwork, and other high dollar stuff laying around I’ve never heard of anyone getting stuff stolen during or after a job. I think you are over thinking things. As others have said I’d be way more concerned about the price being to good to pass up, everyone is busy right now, I have a 2 month waiting list for new work and any service items that are not considered a life/safety hazard and if you have a guy that is ready to jump and is cheap I would run from that as fast as I could.

007hunter

Lil-Rokslider
If you are capable, I’d just do it yourself especially if there isn’t a big hurry. Are you planning on finishing it yourself after the framing is done?

Nomadx2

Lil-Rokslider
Check the online state court history for the person doing the work and their company. Hire reputable companies and ask for some local references.

As stated above, always leary with a lowed priced quote. AS the cost to fix can make it more to do it right the first time.

Good deals are typically found by the contractor using cheap labor and/or just getting started.

I have had contractors everyday in my house for the past two weeks. I can’t find a pack of lighted nocks that I’m pretty sure was just sitting out.

I looked for them last night. I say there is a 1/10 somebody took them and a 9/10 chance I put them somewhere and can’t find them lol

I don’t like having contractors in the house without me here but that’s just the deal when you work.

I have had beers with the guys working on my house now as I think it pays to get to know the workers. I have actually hired one to do a bunch of stuff on the side on his days off.

Awesome worker who can do just about anything around the house and I would have never known if I didn’t take the time to be nice and bs with him a few times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

TruckMonkey

Lil-Rokslider
What's the car that you leave out in your driveway worth? Do you feel the need to cover it with moving blankets at night or leave the doors open? :D
I don’t leave it in my driveway. But valid point. I just try not to advertise guns and valuables that are harder to track than a car. I have had 2 friends who have had their guns stolen and one of them had a safe that was broken into.
People do talk, and even reputable contractors have employees that may not be as reputable or have friends that are less than reputable.

OP
T

TruckMonkey

Lil-Rokslider
If you are capable, I’d just do it yourself especially if there isn’t a big hurry. Are you planning on finishing it yourself after the framing is done?

I had planned to do everything but drywall and carpet. It’s not that big of a basement so paying a few guys to come frame it on their days off was surprisingly more affordable than I thought.

You guys seem to have more faith in subcontractors not hiring ex convicts than I do

Like others have said, trust your gut. If you got a sketchy feeling, walk away.

We currently have work booked for 6+ months as do most of the good contractors I know. The guys who are cheap and/or available immediately are garbage. Their work is subpar and has to be torn out and redone.

If you are going to frame it yourself, you could hang the drywall too and just hire a finisher. Frame around the safe but drywall over the door opening. After the finishers are gone, cut out the opening and install the closet door.