Looking for a gun safe for my hunting rifle!

DavidReed

FNG
The BFX and BFII are the high water mark for gun safes. To exceed the burglary resistance and fire protection you need to move into TL class safes which are a quantum leap in those protection area's but present a new set of challenges concerning moving and placement of the safe.

More thoughts on the subject:

1.) Have you really thought through and made a security assesment to determine what that translates to for physical security for you and your family?

2.) Don't get your husband a gun safe as a surprise. Instead get him involved in the decision.

3.) Find a dealer that only sells, moves, and services safes. Especially when you get into the heavier RSC's and TL rated safes. If the dealer isn't equipped to move a safe they're selling or can't/doesn't move the product they sell, find a different dealer (there's a few exceptions to this).

4.). Any gun safe, RSC or a real safe, has to have a UL listing. So does the lock. many of the discount store safes don't satisfy this. In fact to get a compliant UL listing requires a UL listed lock.

5.) Most fire ratings are simulations not a real test (read the fine print in a Ft. Knox catalog). Amesec is the only manufacture I'm aware of that offers independently tested RSC's.

6.) No gun safe carries a UL listed fire rating. And very few Real Safes carry both a UL rating for Fire and Burglary, usually its one or the other.

7.). AMSEC if the only company in the gun safe market that is a manufacture of real safes (ok, maybe Graffunder does too).

TaperPin

WKR
100% agreed

Plenty of great suggestions what about the floor safes then? I can hid it in a few spots around the house and I can make the room myself no problem at all. The main thing for me is the price as I want to make sure that it's within 1-2k and it fits at least a rifle if not maybe 2. Idk if the floor safe is big enough for that so can you recommend something from that store^? I have seen others recommend Liberty or American security. I personally like American security as I know my granddad had one and it worked well for him.
I’m not familiar enough with any brand to make a useful suggestion.

robtattoo

WKR
omg I never thought about Searching it up. I will stay away from these guys and go for safeandvaultstore!
Given the amount of scam sites there are nowadays, especially targeting gun owners, (it seems) literally the first thing I do is take the physical address from their site & punch it into Google maps. It's saved me from being bitten a few times.

AndrewD

FNG
My parents gave us their Liberty Safe when they moved; and then bought a new Liberty for their new home. The quality is for real; now when I look at the cheapos at the box stores, it's like looking at something made from recycled cans compared to the Liberty. It's a 700 pound pig though, and my wife and I moved it three times by ourselves, but it took some planning. The first move was from our garage into a cargo trailer for 1000 miles. Rented a two-piece dolly and used an 8:1 block and tackle to get it in the trailer, then built heavy wood cribbing all around it inside the trailer to lock it in for the drive. Had no problems but it was a project to move it.

After that, it sat in an old shop for a year. The last half of that year, we no longer lived on the property. We hated to leave it there, but we just didn't have anywhere better to put it yet. After winter we came to find out that the shop's roof leaked a lot. Had mold all over some furniture we had stored there, but the Liberty had zero rust and the inside and contents (multiple firearms and ammo, paperwork) were in perfect shape except for an old Mossberg 500 that already had some rust pitting before hand; rust pitting was a little worse on it, but nothing serious.

Next move was to our property, but we still didn't have an indoor spot for it yet, so it sat in our shelter logic carport/tent thing (which also had some leaks) for another 6 months, including a fall/winter/spring melt. Because it was now on our property where we lived, we were able to keep it tarped and plugged in (it comes with an electric trickle heating element that keeps condensation from happening) and check on it every once in a while. Again, no problems despite the abuse.

Finally got it moved into our house after that and it is basically like a new safe. I have no experience with other safes, but I know Liberty is good.

As far as safes surviving fires, it would take a severely built safe to protect the contents for any length of time. I have worked in multiple residential areas that burned due to wildfires and seen thousands of homes completely disintegrated by fires. There are a few common items that tend to be the last thing standing: pot belly stoves, Weber kettle barbecues, propane tanks, and gun safes. I have seen all kinds of gun safes still standing in the wreckage, but that doesn't mean the contents weren't completely destroyed. I spoke with a wealthy guy at his property once, which was a total loss. He lost several classic cars along with the house and shop. He showed me his gun safe, which was in the shop with the cars. It was still standing, and it was a high-end safe, but all the guns were destroyed. What had caused most, if not all, of the damage was all the ammo in the safe. It all cooked off and sent brass casings bouncing all over the safe, and I'm guessing the oxidizer in the powder might have allowed the wood stocks to combust.

OP
feliciabeauty2000
Hey guys! I just wanted to inform you that I took your advice and asked my husband, he really appreciated the idea that I get him a gift. We got a safe he really liked which was the amsec bf6030! I appreciate your help and support in this. Thanks so much 🥰