gun safes

I suggest getting a safe that has a decent fire rating, waterproof to a certain degree and has a total lifetime warranty on the entire safe. The better safes have a good rated lock. I would stay away from biometric and go with a standard combo or electronic code lock. I say this with experience. For a 40 gun about 60 inches tall gives enough room to move the shelves around. Quite a few models to choose from like Liberty, Sports Afield, Champion are popular safes that have “series” that have different features and quality levels which span a wide price range. There are quite a few add-on features you can get. I like the motion activated lights, power outlet with USB ports and audible wrong code alarm. Depending on where you live you may want to plug in a good dehumidifier. I would place the safe somewhere out of the way in a room where the temperature and humidity doesn’t change very much.

You can spend whatever amount you want to spend just like anything else. But a decent 40 gun safe will be at least 600 lbs plus. If you buy a safe from a “big vendor” like Home Depot or Cabelas they will only deliver your safe to your curb on the street. If you try to install that size safe yourself without specialized equipment you could easily damage your home or yourself. I did it once with a 600 lb safe because it was level into the room where I installed the safe and a short distance. But I had ramps and a heavy duty appliance dolly with a helper that was used to moving heavy appliances. I would suggest buying the safe from a large and reputable local safe shop that has a good selection that you can go in and swing the doors, check the layout. They will deliver and install the safe in your home with the proper equipment. It is well worth it believe me. I suggest taking the time to look around and figure out exactly what you need and want.

Just to make a few comments, my Graffunder 24 gun (too small it turns out) is just shy of a ton. The walls are filled with fire proof brick, exterior is 1/2" hardened steel. Fire rating is as good as any. The door itself weighs more than most safes this size. If you can slip more than a few pieces of paper between the door and structure, you bought junk. Nobody's walking away with this one. Floor had to be shored up a bit. They are not cheap.

To edit, if you are anywhere near Seattle, check out Northwest Safe in Enumclaw, best around.

Last edited:
Interesting stuff, I've seen all video's of guys cutting into cheap safe's with cordless tools. It's true they are made of small gauge sheet steel not laminated steel panels. I personally built mine into a small stairway chase. Only one way in and you would have to demo half the house to get it out. Stand alone safe's are cool but 1 ton on the floor does not sound like my thing. There is no reason they can't make a good solid safe for a reasonable price. The old saying is true(If they really want it they will get it) I live very rural so fire is a concern, but if you live in suburbia the fire dept will be there within minutes , 30 min rating should be fine. Food for thought. In my former life, I could get into a GSA approved safe in under 60 seconds. If their pro's their getting it.

I had a big safe at the last house. 1400# and about 50 gun I think. Wasn't moving it across the country so I sold it. I have always kept a collectors insurance policy on my firearms so I realized that I don't really care about theft or fire when I stopped to think thought about it. The policy is super inexpensive.

I ended up taking a section of the basement in this house, putting an exterior door lock with an electronic code on it and outfitting the entire thing with shelves, benches and racks. Now I have a great spot to do gun and bow work and just hang out and tinker with my hunting stuff. And I can close the door and it is 100% secure from my kids and anyone else casually in the house.

As people have hinted to above, without spending WAY more than you think, regular safes do not prevent fire damage and certainly do not keep them from being stolen.

I get way more enjoyment and convenience from my little man cave than I ever did having a huge safe sitting out and having to mess with the cramped disaster it became was my collection grew.

Update your insurance policy is a better spend of the $. Then again I went with a dual purpose design. Walk in storm shelter/home made gun safe. Mine is 40"W x 84"L X 74"T. Bolts to concrete floor and will hold the entire family + Guns. Line it with sheet rock if you want fire barrier.

Not a safe, but I was doing a basment extension, and took the opportunity to add a vault. Since the basement work was already being done, most of the extra expense was just for the vault door. Not cheap, and obviously overkill for just 20 guns, but for those who have a larger collection, it is well worth the cost.

Last edited:
I'd sure hate to stuff 20+ scoped rifles in a fatboy!

It depends on how you set it up. It's a 60 gun safe and easily holds 20 long guns scoped. It doesn't sound like the op will be pulling out more than the front row too often either. All things considered I'd rather have a safe room than just a safe. But 20 guns in a Fatboy doesn't bother me in the least.

It depends on how you set it up. It's a 60 gun safe and easily holds 20 long guns scoped. It doesn't sound like the op will be pulling out more than the front row too often either. All things considered I'd rather have a safe room than just a safe. But 20 guns in a Fatboy doesn't bother me in the least.
Yeah, no I’m not really going to do too much with most of them. I’ll reload the 340 and shoot coyotes with the 22-250 but I have my set up that I’ve been using for years that puts meat in the freezer and since I stickbow hunt 99% of the time these just need to be stored and kept protected.

Not a safe, but I was doing a basment extension, and took the opportunity to add a vault. Since the basement work was already being done, most of the extra expense was just for the vault door. Not cheap, and obviously overkill for just 20 guns, but for those who have a larger collection, it is well worth the cost.

Did you put in a concrete ceiling as well? I'm thinking about doing the same thing, have a space with four poured concrete walls...just need to figure out the "roof"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you put in a concrete ceiling as well? I'm thinking about doing the same thing, have a space with four poured concrete walls...just need to figure out the "roof"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Q deck and a few I beams, pour a 6" deck with rebar on top. Similar to bridge construction.

Devils advocate here. Do you guys put all of this effort and money into securing your vehicles from fire and theft? Boats? ATVs? Campers? Most of us have way more money into those than our firearms. (I realize some of you guys drive junkers and own lots of 10k custom rifles...) Insurance against theft and fire is super cheap for a gun collection.

They are just things that can be replaced for the most part. Secure them from kids and visitors into your home and move on is my opinion.

Devils advocate here. Do you guys put all of this effort and money into securing your vehicles from fire and theft? Boats? ATVs? Campers? Most of us have way more money into those than our firearms. (I realize some of you guys drive junkers and own lots of 10k custom rifles...) Insurance against theft and fire is super cheap for a gun collection.

They are just things that can be replaced for the most part. Secure them from kids and visitors into your home and move on is my opinion.
Agreed on some of it. The only problem is there are alot of non replaceable firearms out there. So insurance is great but can't replace whats not available anymore. I am the same everything is insured, only have a few heirlooms.

Agreed on some of it. The only problem is there are alot of non replaceable firearms out there. So insurance is great but can't replace whats not available anymore. I am the same everything is insured, only have a few heirlooms.
That would be the only thing that I'd put in a fireproof safe honestly. And I'd find the absolute least likely to burn part of the house to put it in. A corner outside wall away from the garage or something. Everything doesn't have to be in the same spot.

Too bad you're not closer to me, OP. I have a Browning Silver Series that I'll be putting up for sale this week.

Like someone already said, go to a safe dealer. I started off buying junk from Sam's Club, twice. Then a slightly better piece of junk from Tractor Supply. Then, I finally went to a local safe dealer. It's a world of difference. I wouldn't say the Silver Series is a great safe, but it's far better than the crap from Sam's & Tractor Supply.

Back