Gun Targets

Bucky

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any home made fun target ideas? Looking at building my own without going through 3 sheets of plywood. Or should I be? I do have a large pile I’m shooting into however I want to hear some ideas before half ass making targets. Thanks

JMDavies

WKR
I have a steel target at my house that I use. I started with a softer steel that didn't hold up. I stopped I to the local welding/fab shop and they set me up with some hardened steel. Large calibers barely scuff it. A little expensive, but a one time purchase.

I shoot steel when I'm just looking to verify hits at longer ranges. Make sure you get a proper steel.

Can't beat paper on a left over political yard sign for finding zero.

11boo

WKR
Once I’m dialed in on paper, steel is the way. I’m not interested in looking for tiny holes in paper when I can get instant feedback from a hanging steel target. Hit the target with spray paint once in a while, your hits will be visible.

Many ways to hang this stuff, plan on destroying the hangers eventually. Old fire hose or conveyor belt will be the most durable. Hang them so they tilt down about 10 degrees and all the spall will go right into the ground.

00ECC602-F6FF-4C8C-B375-FD4BD38B1D36.jpeg

Print off free pdf paper targets at work for load development.

Shoot AR500 steel at longer range. My favorite hanging system is https://hangfasttargets.com/ you don’t need to worry about shooting the hanger or making a rack, t posts are cheap, they offer good movement with impacts and ring nice and loud.

OP
Bucky

Bucky

Lil-Rokslider
good ideas fellas; some reason didn't even think of steel. Put some good ideas in my head. Thanks!

I built two portable paper stands out of PVC pipe and use surveyor sticks to place the cardboard on with my target. I recycle old cardboard boxes for it.

For steel I have some old tracks from a caterpillar dozer.

BuckSnort

WKR
I highly recommend these targets made by @Brock A .. I bought a couple last year and have been shooting them a lot.. The way they hang on a T-post and are their own T-post driver is very slick..

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a big fan of steel plates.

I shoot 12” and 8” round plates. I paint them fluorescent orange over bright white, hits are pretty easy to see through the spotter if there aren’t too many to keep track of.

I use bicycle inner tube material to hang them from rebar held together with these brackets...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slm9s

FNG
I'll stop at safeway and grab a few generic 2 liter soda bottles. They can be challenging targets at 800+ yards and are a lot of fun to see explode in your scope when hit.

JRMiller

WKR
The easiest and one of the most robust budget target stands is taking a 48" length piece of 1/2" rebar and bending an S on one end to create a hook.
Its easier if you heat it.
Stake it into the ground. Hang a steel gong on the hook.
The rebar itself is a very small target plus it deflects most bullets well as its round shape tends to glance bullets off.
And if you do hit it, it just bends it. Just bend it back.
The rebar is $3 around here.