Gunwerks 375 H&H Build Questions

RickNold

FNG
I'm looking to build a 375 H&H for a Yukon Moose & Grizzly hunt. I'm leaning towards a Gunwerks. I'm partial to a Swarovski scope, particularly with a larger objective (40-50mm).

Will Gunwerks put a scope on the rifle with a turret if it's not listed as an option on their website to build?

Wrench

WKR
My experience on the 375 and Swarovski scopes...

375h&h is one of the easiest rounds to make very accurate. It's more rare to see a non shooter than sub moa gun.

Swarovski would not make the list for durability on any harsh recoiling rifle. I puked one on a 300rum in very short order and my experience with getting it fixed has to be the worst customer service experience shy of just not talking to me.

If you want to shell out big dough for a gunwerks rifle...go for it, but don't think any other quality rig won't match it on target.

Basically any 270gr bullet and 72grs of rl15 is going to be a shooter.

SDHNTR

WKR
Neither.

.375’s deserve CRF. Build on a M70 Classic. Put a known durable scope on it that can take some knocks. Absolutely not a Swarovski!

A well made Dangerous Game rifle and a finely tuned precision long range gun are two different things. Select the right builder and the right parts for the right tool.

Jim Kobe. Mark Penrod. Kevin Weaver. Hill Country Rifles. All good builders who know their way around a M70.

Last edited:

gbflyer

WKR
I have one built on a Remington 700. Feeds like a greased hot dog. I like the model 70 idea too but I would just buy one already in .375 H&H rather than build.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have one built on a Remington 700. Feeds like a greased hot dog. I like the model 70 idea too but I would just buy one already in .375 H&H rather than build.
I like my 700 more than my m70, I don’t even take the m70 out anymore.

SDHNTR

WKR
Feeds like grease until you try to do so upside down! Lol

Sevens

WKR
Feeds like grease until you try to do so upside down! Lol
If you’re upside down, odds are you’ll be working to bolt fast enough it won’t matter or, more likely, the rifle has been flung from your arms and you really just need to keep curling your head between your legs to kiss your butt goodbye.

Used to be a die hard CRF guy, but am no longer convinced it’s the end all be all for DG hunting. As long as your equipment has been tested, that’s the important thing. Figure out and correct any issues, know your rifle, then go hunting.

Wrench

WKR
375h&h feed and extract well in any rifle. Its a perfect case for feeding.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Neither.

.375’s deserve CRF. Build on a M70 Classic. Put a known durable scope on it that can take some knocks. Absolutely not a Swarovski!

A well made Dangerous Game rifle and a finely tuned precision long range gun are two different things. Select the right builder and the right parts for the right tool.

Jim Kobe. Mark Penrod. Kevin Weaver. Hill Country Rifles. All good builders who know their way around a M70.
Add D’Arcy Echols to the list.

SDHNTR

WKR
If you’re upside down, odds are you’ll be working to bolt fast enough it won’t matter or, more likely, the rifle has been flung from your arms and you really just need to keep curling your head between your legs to kiss your butt goodbye.

Used to be a die hard CRF guy, but am no longer convinced it’s the end all be all for DG hunting. As long as your equipment has been tested, that’s the important thing. Figure out and correct any issues, know your rifle, then go hunting.
Definitely, but for nostalgia’s sake, in my stable, if it’s got a belt, it’s got a claw extractor!

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
The smiths listed would definitely be on my list for a dgr. Guns by echols and the others bring quite a premium on the used market as well.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The smiths listed would definitely be on my list for a dgr. Guns by echols and the others bring quite a premium on the used market as well.
Maybe even a Heym, CZ or a MRC, 2 of the 3 are affordable. Never seen a Heym in a composite stock, but sure it's possible.

Wrench

WKR
Maybe even a Heym, CZ or a MRC, 2 of the 3 are affordable. Never seen a Heym in a composite stock, but sure it's possible.
I have an mrc wearing a hart in a brown pounder. It will be with me forever. It is from the days when mrc only sold parts and is a peach. Recoil without a brake is very manageable.

TaperPin

WKR
I have an mrc wearing a hart in a brown pounder. It will be with me forever. It is from the days when mrc only sold parts and is a peach. Recoil without a brake is very manageable.
I had a brown pounder stock on my 375 as well - made it very nimble to shoot quickly.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Ya a .375 Flanged or H&H does not have big recoil like a lot of people think. Super easy to shoot. MRC is going to be missed for sure.

TaperPin

WKR
375 is one of those cartridges that often gets built heavier than it needs to be. When choosing between a Winchester and Remington, I bought both and shot them for a good 6 months before selling the Winchester to a friend. Remington used the same magnum barrel profile as the 7mm, 300, and 338, so with a 3/8” hole in the middle it was light and much faster to handle. It wouldn’t surprise me if Winchester used the same barrel profile for both the 375 and 458 - just right for the 458, but too heavy for a 375 to be carried a lot. That’s all I can add about that.

The more offhand practice the better to get familiar with the gun and recoil. It was great fun to set up 12 gauge shotgun hulls and do fast shooting drills with two shots to go from waste high safety on to shouldered. A box of ammo once a week for two months and the speed and accuracy improvement is dramatic - becomes a lot like shooting a shotgun. Start close in and move the distance out as you get better. It’s safe to say if I was ever charged by a shotgun hull it would be in trouble. 🙂