Gunwerks 375 H&H Build Questions

SDHNTR

WKR
375 is one of those cartridges that often gets built heavier than it needs to be. When choosing between a Winchester and Remington, I bought both and shot them for a good 6 months before selling the Winchester to a friend. Remington used the same magnum barrel profile as the 7mm, 300, and 338, so with a 3/8” hole in the middle it was light and much faster to handle. It wouldn’t surprise me if Winchester used the same barrel profile for both the 375 and 458 - just right for the 458, but too heavy for a 375 to be carried a lot. That’s all I can add about that.

The more offhand practice the better to get familiar with the gun and recoil. It was great fun to set up 12 gauge shotgun hulls and do fast shooting drills with two shots to go from waste high safety on to shouldered. A box of ammo once a week for two months and the speed and accuracy improvement is dramatic - becomes a lot like shooting a shotgun. Start close in and move the distance out as you get better. It’s safe to say if I was ever charged by a shotgun hull it would be in trouble. 🙂
Funny how people are different. I preferred the heavier barrel on the Winny. A .375 could be shot offhand regularly and that heavier frontal balance made it more steady and faster to get on aim for me.

Spoonbill

WKR
D’Arcy Echols is now using an action of his own design instead of reworking M70 actions. If it is in your budget then I would take a look. I haven’t handled one but I have also never found a bad review.

Wapiti1

WKR
For custom, Joe Smithson, or Stuart Satterlee. Both make top notch rifles and they make their own custom composite stocks if that is your cup of tea. No flies on D'arcy's work, but he doesn't alter his Legend stock to fit you beyond LOP.

That said, an American Hunting Rifles reworked CZ would also be hard to argue with.

Jeremy

TaperPin

WKR
Funny how people are different. I preferred the heavier barrel on the Winny. A .375 could be shot offhand regularly and that heavier frontal balance made it more steady and faster to get on aim for me.
You are sure correct about that - my friend that bought the rifle really liked the extra heft out front. At the time I‘m sure it felt funny because it was the middle of my lightweight rifle craze and all of them were very light at the muzzle.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
375 is one of those cartridges that often gets built heavier than it needs to be. When choosing between a Winchester and Remington, I bought both and shot them for a good 6 months before selling the Winchester to a friend. Remington used the same magnum barrel profile as the 7mm, 300, and 338, so with a 3/8” hole in the middle it was light and much faster to handle. It wouldn’t surprise me if Winchester used the same barrel profile for both the 375 and 458 - just right for the 458, but too heavy for a 375 to be carried a lot. That’s all I can add about that.

The more offhand practice the better to get familiar with the gun and recoil. It was great fun to set up 12 gauge shotgun hulls and do fast shooting drills with two shots to go from waste high safety on to shouldered. A box of ammo once a week for two months and the speed and accuracy improvement is dramatic - becomes a lot like shooting a shotgun. Start close in and move the distance out as you get better. It’s safe to say if I was ever charged by a shotgun hull it would be in trouble. 🙂
That is exactly what winchester did with the barrels.