“Half Day” Pack

Rstien321

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a pack for half day hunts. Pack list:
  • DOES NOT need to pack meat
  • spotting scope (prefer to keep in pack)
  • tripod
  • 15x binos
  • Small first aid kit
  • Small kill kit
  • Rain gear
  • Jacket
  • Water (could be place to hold nalgene or bladder)
I have a Stryker XL, but it is honestly more pack than I need for this application. Pack is great for other use cases, I just get annoyed by how the pack carries when it’s not fully loaded. It tends to be a bit floppy and requires a lot of compression which then makes it a pain to access gear.

I don’t need a highly flexible pack (have a pile of job specific packs already), and would prefer a specific pack for this job. Used a Mystery Rach hip pack and it did well - just missed the ability to carry optics, water, or layers.

Two packs I’ve been looking at are Kifaru 14r and Sitka Apex.

Last edited:

Kenneth@Kifaru

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
14r is a great option. I would also recommend our Shape charge and the Antero. they are internal frame packs that you can put a decent amount of weight in. Obviously it wont haul like a frame pack but will good enough for quick hunts. Also you can use them as a EDC for your day to day.

tacsled

FNG
I've been happy with the Stone Glacier 2200 for years. Just right for me on day hunts. Can be used by itself or mounted on one of their frames. When frame mounted the load shelf comes in handy for things other than meat like tree stands.

For me personally, my half day pack would be the same as my full day pack. My Eberlestock F1 tall mainframe with two batwings and a lid can expand or contract to fit whatever I need. I've taken off the lid and just used the two batwings when day hunting whitetails before, and it compresses very small and light. It fits me so well, I hardly know it's there. After using it for the past three seasons, I wouldn't bother looking for a smaller pack.

OP
Rstien321

Rstien321

Lil-Rokslider
14r is a great option. I would also recommend our Shape charge and the Antero. they are internal frame packs that you can put a decent amount of weight in. Obviously it wont haul like a frame pack but will good enough for quick hunts. Also you can use them as a EDC for your day to day.
Shape Charge was one I hadn’t looked at! Looks like the lid would easily handle 15s?

Kenneth@Kifaru

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
yes no doubt. and also if you run a spotter and a tripod, you can strap them the the sides of the bag where the pouches are. and get the EDC waist belt if you want more support on your hips. you can also add onto the waist belt with a nalgene pouch and belt pouch.

SG Kiowa 3200 has treated me really well through consistent hard use. Has the internal spotting scope pocket and can strap a tripod to the exterior.

I put on a Kifaru EDC belt and had @pods8 (Rugged Stitching) sow a sleeve in to attach to a Kifaru frame when needed. Also switched the buckles to locking buckles for the exterior straps.

Forget about any Sitka packs...they don't begin to compete with Kifaru. I often hunt with a very light pack with dedicated "stops" for glassing. So I carry my BTX95 in a 24" rifle case with the tripod all ready to go. Then when I'm done I toss it back in the truck so I'm not lugging it around when actually hunting on foot.

scopecase.JPGscopecaseopen.JPG

Last edited:
Hill people gear Umlindi or the new AH3 that’s coming out would be great. I have the umlindi with their prairie belt and it’s very comfortable with all the items you have listed.

OP
Rstien321

Rstien321

Lil-Rokslider
Forget about any Sitka packs...they don't begin to compete with Kifaru. I often hunt with a very light pack with dedicated "stops" for glassing. So I carry my BTX95 in a 24" rifle case with the tripod all ready to go. Then when I'm done I toss it back in the truck so I'm not lugging it around when actually hunting on foot.

View attachment 475565View attachment 475566
Really like this idea!

It works particularly well for those hunts with designated high points that offer a long view so you can spot your game 1st thing in the morning and then drive someplace where you can cut em off. That pretty much describe hunts in Arizona. The rifle bag holds my Helinox chair, some double espressos and snacks too.

sivart

WKR
EXO 1800. My fav daypack. and it will pack meat if you need it to. It's lighter than the shape charge, and it's a full frame pack.

Mystery ranch pop up is worth a look In that price range. You will never notice the pop up stuff until you use it. Their 3dap and 2dap are also great options if you want less frame.

IMO for that packing list you mentioned you are gonna need 30-40 liters of capacity. Smallish ~20 liter packs will struggle to fit your optics and layers. FWIW I started with a 22 liter pack from tactical tailor and then moved to a pop up 28 and now a pop up 38 For the kind of use you describe + occasional meat hauling.

sndmn11

WKR
If I'm not planning on hauling a significant amount of meat, I'd take a Seek Outside Flight.

Cut literal pounds, better bag material than what's been mentioned, snugs up flat. Etc