Hallux Rigidus

I have bilateral hallux rigidus which explains my 1st MTP pain. Right > left. I can't blame my boots although it does bother me more when I wear my hunting boots.
For those who have had a cheilectomy what was your recover time? Did you still have residual pain or was it gone after surgery? Were you able to resume full hunting activities or did you have limitations? I hunt Idaho mountains for elk and deer.

Thanks

Arthritis causes narrowing of the great toe joint space, resulting in limited motion of the toe. Narrowing of the joint space can cause jamming of the bones in the joint, resulting in a spur or excess bone formation. The excess bone formation causes increased jamming. Jamming causes pain.

The procedure removes the excess bone or spurring. Removal of some of the bone frequently allows better motion of the joint which often improves or completely alleviates the pain. Removal of the spur doesn’t address the underlying cause of the arthritis within the joint. Removal of the spur doesn’t improve the arthritis within the joint. If the pain is caused mostly from the spurring and jamming of the joint, you should do well with the excess bone removal. If pain is caused from generalized arthritis within the joint, the procedure will have limited benefit. If pain is caused from generalized arthritis in the joint, you may still have pain after the surgery due to the arthritis within the joint. Concerning your question about residual pain, its hard to say. You may not have residual pain. Residual pain can be present during the healing process for a few months after the surgery. The pain may not go away resulting in limitations. The above is based on the experience of a number of people I know who had the procedure done.

Recover time is a month or two for light to more normal activity. For more strenuous activity like elk hunting, figure about 4 months, plus or minus, if all goes well.

gdog

Lil-Rokslider
Bringing this back up as it was just recommended that I get surgery to fuse my big toe due to past injury/arthritis. Looking for some folks who have gone through this and the outcome in regards to backpacking and hiking. Reading other posts, the healing process looks like it’s gonna suck.

I didn’t get mine fused but I did have cheilectomy in December of 2020. The recovery time was roughly 10 weeks before I was really able to run. Now it feels great.. this past hunting season was great no pain at all. My doctor said he didn’t want to fuse it yet, wanted to try this surgery first.

OP
Mule3006Elk
Update: 9 months post op. Left toe nearly pain free. Right toe is still improving but a TON better. Right was much worse compared to the left.

With the right toe, if I put a cotton spacer between the 1st and 2nd toe keeping in place with KT tape I have nearly no discomfort. With my condition, I also had a minor bunion deformity that was starting. Due to this, I had a procedure to straighten the big toe.

I also changed my boots. I was in Kenetreks but due to a smaller toe box which slightly pinches my toes I decided to stop wearing these. I could go up a half size which would help the toe box but the boot feels sloppy big at that point. I have Crispi Guides but they have a fairly significant toe rocker which keeps my toe in extension and is not great for the said condition either preop or postop.

I switched to Meindl boots (Comfort Fit Hunter) which have no perceivable toe rocker and the toe box is generous when compared to Crispi Guides and Kenetrek. With my foot issues these are by far the most comfortable and probably the best moving forward. I don't anticipate these boots will aggravate the joint, again, due to flat/no toe rocker and generous toe box. They're not as snug so I will have a little more give side hilling than I would like. BUT if my toes don't hurt I don't care.

Humbling experience. I'm in my mid 40s and otherwise in really good condition. Hike up the hills with the best of them but this condition slammed on the brakes. I never took my health for granted. This experience nearly sidelined this outdoorsman, bad feet, very difficult to hunt mountain elk/deer here in ID. Very much looking forward to hitting the hills again.

I'm going to sell my Kenetreks (ME 400) size 9, Crispi Guides Size 8.5, Crispi Guides Size 9. If anyone is interested send me a PM. In the next week I will be posting the sale items.