Hammer bullets

muzz

FNG
How many of you use or used the Hammer bullets? I’m loading the 143 hh this year for elk in my 7mm. Getting 3390fps and 5/8” groups with them. I’m curious as if they are better then the Barnes line up? I’m not a fan at all of the Barnes form past experience with them. Are these the same or better?

They are worse. Google hammer failures. There were several threads on LRH about them. Len probably deletes them because hammer is a sponsor over there. There are better options for elk, do you use monos because the state you live in requires it?

I've had good luck with then in a 30-06, albeit with a small sample. Have seen Barnes pencil a few times, but then again that was doing a post mortem so I guess they got the job done.

Sykes

WKR
I've had no issues with them on several elk in a 280AI and 300 wsm. Fast and accurate, killed everything I've shot with them just fine.

OP
muzz

muzz

FNG
They are worse. Google hammer failures. There were several threads on LRH about them. Len probably deletes them because hammer is a sponsor over there. There are better options for elk, do you use monos because the state you live in requires it?
No I am using a bullet that is available.

MT257

WKR
I am currently working with a 124 Hammer Hunter in my 6.5 PRC. I could likely get more velocity, but I found a charge that is dime sized. Only thing I don't know that I am a fan of with the hammers is they shed the petals unlike a barnes.

OP
muzz

muzz

FNG
How are they worse?

OP
muzz

muzz

FNG
I am currently working with a 124 Hammer Hunter in my 6.5 PRC. I could likely get more velocity, but I found a charge that is dime sized. Only thing I don't know that I am a fan of with the hammers is they shed the petals unlike a barnes.
I get the shedding petals to create wound channels. In my opinion Barnes bullets are not worth using from my experience. Pencil hole in and pencil hole out. I was not impressed with them.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Every shot is going to be different. The farther the shot the more issues you are going to see with monos that break apart. A couple of animals shot with hammers that I have witnessed have been Ok. The animals were dead. But the shots were perfect, so you would expect the bullet to kill. The wound channels were not impressive. I guess if I had to shoot copper bullets, I would not want my bullet to break apart like a lead cup and core bullet. I would want it to mushroom as big as possible but keep its mass. Like a Barnes or, better yet, a McGuire bullet.

Last edited:

Northpark

WKR
I use hammers in several rifles. Very happy with in game performance on everything from small pigs and feral goats with the 64gr out of my AR to oryx and elk with the 199gr out of my .300 win mag. They have been easy to load for except for in one rifle. I have a 7-08ai that is struggling a little with the 140 absolute hammers. I can get group sizes consistently down to .75 MOA but I’m wanting sub .5 MOA. Shot about 20-25 animals with them so far and have been pleased. Better than my experience with Berger’s.

MT257

WKR
I get the shedding petals to create wound channels. In my opinion Barnes bullets are not worth using from my experience. Pencil hole in and pencil hole out. I was not impressed with them.
Were you using tsx or ttsx? I’ve never used barnes only reason I ask. I’m a big accubond fan, but figured I could try the hammers out as everyone seems to have good things to say accuracy wise.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Yea what barnes bullet were you using? The LRX out of my 6.5 x284 is a killing machine at almost any distance on deer, elk, moose. Always get large expansion and 90% + weight retention with animals never moving more than 20 yards give or take. I really want to try to load hammers but I keep reading bad things and the youtube videos against them are pretty convincing.

JFK

WKR
I’ve used the Hammers. Very easy to load up and most accurate bullets I’ve ever shot out of several rifles. Only killed one animal with them and and performance was decent. Shot a little further back than I intended to and hit liver. Lungs were damaged as well. That said I have also been happy with Barnes. If you are shooting a 7mm check out the McGuire bullets.

OP
muzz

muzz

FNG
Were you using tsx or ttsx? I’ve never used barnes only reason I ask. I’m a big accubond fan, but figured I could try the hammers out as everyone seems to have good things to say accuracy wise.
I have used both. Very accurate shooting bullet but piss pore results on game

92xj

WKR
I shoot 181s at 3150fps in my 300wm. The 4 deer and one rather large bear died pretty dead within feet of impact. I plan to take this gun and load to BC for moose in a few weeks and hope I get the same results.

OP
muzz

muzz

FNG
I’ve used the Hammers. Very easy to load up and most accurate bullets I’ve ever shot out of several rifles. Only killed one animal with them and and performance was decent. Shot a little further back than I intended to and hit liver. Lungs were damaged as well. That said I have also been happy with Barnes. If you are shooting a 7mm check out the McGuire bullets.
From what I see with McGuire bullets is the same thing as a Barnes.

SDHNTR

WKR
This was true with the Barnes X Bullet 15+ years ago. It’s not true with the TTSX or LRX at all, at least not with adequate velocity. And kills I’ve had or witnessed with them number in the hundreds. They work fine.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
Op, I shoot Hammers and have zero issues with on game performance. I’m was on the fence about the shedding petals thing but everything I’ve shot with them has died within a few steps. Very easy to work up a good load with. And yes, they are available, and have attentive customer service too. An owner will usually respond. I’m a fan.

FYI, I think the bullet deviation stuff seen on YT and talked about negatively is a side effect of not enough bullet stability. Hammers need a lot of twist!

DuckDogDr

WKR
2/3 of my rifles I’ve loaded them for, they have been tack drivers. The 3rd is finicky with everything except factory ammo oddly enough.

Small sample size. Whitetail through the heart was dead on impact (100 yards)
Cow elk I just harvested was at 275 yards.. spine shot complete pass through.
Shooting the .30 181 Hammers