Handgun to carry while rifle hunting Alaska

mcseal2

WKR
I'm in the process of planning a caribou hunt in AK. The area I'm looking at is said to have a fairly large population of arctic grizzly by the transporter I'm looking at using. It sounds to me like it might be a good excuse to get another handgun.... It's the time of year I have to much time to think of this stuff while feeding cows every morning.

I will be taking a 300 win mag rifle to hunt with in AK probably shooting the 180gr Nosler E tips again. I won't be taking a bow.

I have had Ruger 44's in single and double action in the past. I could handle the recoil fine with good grips, but I never felt like I shot them as well as I did other guns when I tried to shoot quick. Even with the smallest grips I tried they seemed just a bit big for my hands. I always shot the 357 revolvers I had enough better that I eventually got rid of the 44's.

My favorite handgun and the one I carry in the woods now is a S&W 386XL Hunter. It's pretty light for full size 6" 7 shot revolver, I think around 30oz. It weighed about the same as the 5 shot SP101 4.2" gun I had for a while. It fits my hands very well and I shoot it very well.

I have been considering getting a 10mm semi-auto. I have shot a Glock 19 and a Springfield XD in the past and never cared for the striker fired pistols trigger pull. I'm used to worked over revolver and rifle triggers I think is part of the problem. I shoot them decent but not as well as revolvers or 1911's.

For concealed carry I mostly carry a Sig 938 9mm but will carry a Commander size 1911 at times. I like the 1911's very well and shoot them well. I can shoot them well quickly too when practicing carrying them cocked with the safety on.

That's the back-ground of what I like and what I have experience with. Now for the 10mm options I'm considering:

Springfield XD 10mm 5.25” barrel, 32.8oz empty, fiber optic front adjustable rear sight, rail, 3 mags $550

Springfield 1911 10mm 6.25” barrel 45oz empty, tritium adjustable sights, rail, 2 mags, $1535

Glock 20 10mm 4.6” barrel, 30.7oz empty, tritium sights, rail, $600

The striker fired guns are much lighter than the 1911 and easier to take down in the field. A Glock with a 15 round magazine loaded is lighter than the 1911 empty. I really like the features of the Springfield 1911 but I could see the weight causing it to be left in camp the time I needed it. The Springfield is the only one without an option of tritium sights. I like the idea of a rail in case I wanted to bring the little light off the Sig 226 I keep in the nightstand to put on the handgun at night.

The other option is not buying a 10mm and taking the 357 I already have. It weighs like the striker fired 10mm's and I know I shoot it well.

I compared Buffalo Bore Heavy Outdoorsmans loads also:

The 357 with Buffalo Bore 180gr ammo shows 1400fps and 783 ft/lbs of energy

The 10mm with Buffalo Bore 220gr ammo shows 1200fps and 703ft/lbs of energy

Not a lot of difference in the numbers, but the 10mm has a heavier bullet and larger diameter.

What would you guys do? Take the 357 I'm already familiar with or teach myself to be better with a striker fired gun? Stop being a puss and pack the heavy 1911? Until I tag out I'll have my rifle with me at all times too so that can be considered.

Thanks for the replies. If nothing else it gives us something to discuss in the slow time right now!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a Glock 20’with a KKM barrel, I carry it in a gunfighters inc kenia chest holster loaded with underwood 220g hardcast. Love that thing.

If I’m not carrying that it’s either a SW 625 mountain gunnin 45lc or a Ruger redhawk 44mag. I don’t go anywhere without a sidearm.

LaHunter

WKR
If you like 1911s, may want to check into the 460 Rowland conversion. The Buffalo Bore ammo states 255 grain hard cast slug at 1300 fps from a 5” barrel.

MCSeal, I have two you can test out. 10mm Glock 20 and Smith 500 4”. Both have gone to Alaska with me and are great when on chest holsters!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4xlarsen

FNG
Look into the glock 29 10mm little lighter and smaller. You can run the 20 mags for higher capacity, but the 10 round with a pinky extension is enough for me.

I carry the Glock 20 for all of my hunts, shooting the Buffalo Bore 220 grain bullets listed by the OP.

I have it attached to my FHF Bino Harness for easy and out of the way access. I love the holster from Razco Gear (https://www.razcogear.com). The owner has the best customer service that I have ever seen. For my Elk hunt, he lent me HIS OWN holster as he also carries the Glock 20.

IMG_0684.JPG

BCD

WKR
That Springfield XD is sweet! I didn't realize they wre making it in 10MM. I was hoping they would eventually make the Smith and Wesson M and P in 10MM. I may look at that Springfield myself.

BCD and Mcseal2 if I’m not mistaken it is the XDm not the true XD. Not that there are many differences but there are a few. I have the original XD 40 cal and just upgraded to the XDm 10mm. There are some small differences between the two models but not huge. Still my favorite gun out there and the new 10 is going everywhere with me.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
MCSeal, I have two you can test out. 10mm Glock 20 and Smith 500 4”. Both have gone to Alaska with me and are great when on chest holsters!

Thanks, I'll take you up on shooting that Glock 20. Not sure I need to try the 500 hand cannon, it will have the same big grip problem for me my 44 did.

The 460 Rowland conversion looks pretty good but I'd read of reliability issues with it?

My 300 win is reliable, I trust it. Its a Rifles Inc custom off a WInchester 70 action. It has worked well since I got it a few years ago, no complaints of any kind. It was expensive but has been a great rifle.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I don't know that I have to have a new gun, but I always want one. Even if I get a caribou early I'd probably pack the rifle packing meat in case I get a chance at a wolf. Maybe I don't even need to take a handgun like some said but if I have the weight to spare I will. You all gave me some things to think about. Shooting the Glock 20 might help me make up my mind.

MCSeal,

c5278130d4869fa677033fc5d99dd00e.jpg

She’s a dream to fire!

Can you get by with the .300 or .357? Yes.
Can you get a new gun by the missus? If so, why not?!?

I really like the pistol for rafting and fishing. The rifle is too easy to just set down while you wade just a little bit further.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Yeah I think I'll have the weight allowance to take a handgun.

Writing this. laying it all out and reading the posts has got me thinking. I want to shoot teamkabob's Glock 20 before deciding anything for sure.

I have a FHF harness I use that would work with the Razco holster too. I've heard good things about those.

DocD5150

FNG
UNDERWOOD AMMO OR BUST! Even far superior to Buffalor Bore by FAR! I shoot 10mm and 460 S&W Mag. Only in the 460 do I still shoot buffalo bore, but also Underwood ammo. Underwood makes a 10mm 200gr High Tek poly coated hard cast that is cruising @ 1350 out of my new Springfield 1911 TRP 6" long slide. Its barely busting through 64" of ballistic gel. Its put bears down easy, mountain lions, badger, deer and elk. Those are my go to calibers.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Another option I saw that might work for me when looking last night is the Ruger Blackhawk 41 magnum. I have owned a Super Blackhawk in 44 and it was a bit big framed for my hand. I have a regular Blackhawk convertible in 357/9mm and it fits my hand well. The 41 looks to be on the same frame as my 357 but I plan to email Ruger to be sure.

The 41 magnum offers a decent jump in performance over the 10mm or 357. Using the same Buffalo Bore examples as above, the Heavy Outdoorsmans highest energy load shows a 230gr bullet at 1450fps for 1074 ft/lbs of energy. Underwood shows exactly the same.

That 41 load is right in line with the load for the 44 magnum they call their "reduced recoil" load and recommend for the S&W 329PD handguns. It's below their heavy 44 magnum loads, but still in the ball park energy wise. Their 305 grain heavy 44 magnum load shows 1,325 fps/M.E. 1,189 ft lbs. It's a bigger diameter and much heavier bullet, but the 41 is no slouch.

Worst part about the 41 is that it looks like it's only currently available in blued. Probably not a deal breaker for me where it would only be on occasional trips but it still takes more care. The 4.62" barrel version is 38oz and the 6.5" barrel is 41oz. Not as light as the Glock or Springfield 10mm, but right in the ball park of 10mm 1911's. Loaded weight with six 41 mag rounds might not be much different than a 10mm with 15 rounds either. Looks like they can be found reasonable on Gunbroker too is a guy is patient and not real picky on finish. I fit both of those.

I'm sure a lot of people will disagree. But rifle and bear spray for me in AK. Especially if you will be with a partner who also has a rifle, are extremely limited on weight, and you will be in the tundra and can see a bear coming forever and can give a bear your wind. If I’m in a situation where I can’t throw a tag on a bear, I’ll do whatever I can to avoid a DLP. A DLP will almost certainly ruin an expensive and time-consuming hunt. If we can tag a bear on a trip, then we just bring rifles. Sorry I didn’t answer your question – which is a conversation and topic I’m interested in so thanks for asking it. I guess I just wanted to throw out another way of thinking for the situation and you would be able to bring another 5 pounds of comfort items instead of another weapon. Good luck on your hunt man!

JohnnyB

WKR
Another option I saw that might work for me when looking last night is the Ruger Blackhawk 41 magnum. I have owned a Super Blackhawk in 44 and it was a bit big framed for my hand. I have a regular Blackhawk convertible in 357/9mm and it fits my hand well. The 41 looks to be on the same frame as my 357 but I plan to email Ruger to be sure.

The 41 magnum offers a decent jump in performance over the 10mm or 357. Using the same Buffalo Bore examples as above, the Heavy Outdoorsmans highest energy load shows a 230gr bullet at 1450fps for 1074 ft/lbs of energy. Underwood shows exactly the same.

That 41 load is right in line with the load for the 44 magnum they call their "reduced recoil" load and recommend for the S&W 329PD handguns. It's below their heavy 44 magnum loads, but still in the ball park energy wise. Their 305 grain heavy 44 magnum load shows 1,325 fps/M.E. 1,189 ft lbs. It's a bigger diameter and much heavier bullet, but the 41 is no slouch.

Worst part about the 41 is that it looks like it's only currently available in blued. Probably not a deal breaker for me where it would only be on occasional trips but it still takes more care. The 4.62" barrel version is 38oz and the 6.5" barrel is 41oz. Not as light as the Glock or Springfield 10mm, but right in the ball park of 10mm 1911's. Loaded weight with six 41 mag rounds might not be much different than a 10mm with 15 rounds either. Looks like they can be found reasonable on Gunbroker too is a guy is patient and not real picky on finish. I fit both of those.[/QUOTE

The SW 657 is an excellent choice for a stainless 41 mag. I had one and got rid of it when I was youn and stupid. I have always missed that gun and caliber. There used to be a wide range of commercial ammo from 175gn to 220gn.

That being said, I am more confident in my Glock 20. Both weight savings and ability to get back on target quickly make it an easy decision for me.