Handgun to carry while rifle hunting Alaska

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I definitely understand the thinking of saving the weight. I decided to leave the pistol at home on my moose hunt after talking to several people who had done the hunt before. There was a low chance of needing it and I could spend the weight better elsewhere.

This trip I think I have more weight to spend. I also see myself possibly doing some fishing in waders and packing meat further. I might not want to pack a rifle either if I tag out early and am going with my buddy, but I still want to have something. Both the caribou options I'm looking at are pretty generous on weight limit.

It might sound crazy but bear spray seems more limited to me. I know that it's much better to not have to shoot the bear and that bear spray is the best option in many ways. What worries me is that I won't have practice using it in a hurry. That and if the wind is wrong it might do more harm than good. I grew up shooting a Ruger Single Six. Working for Dad on the ranch I got $10 a week in allowance and that bought me a brick of 22's that I put through the rifle and pistol every week. I was conserving ammo by the weekend each week. A handgun, especially the revolver, is something I'm familiar with and practice with on a regular basis. Bear spray is not. The handgun is also a back-up to my rifle for hunting if I have a failure making it a multi-purpose item.

What I'm leaning toward is me having the handgun and the buddy I hunt with having bear spray. That way both options are available to us but neither of us is trying to decide which to use in a hurry. We will both have 300 win mags also and hopefully none of them are needed for bear.

A third option I just looked up is the S&W 69. It's a 5 shot 44 on a smaller frame at 37.4oz with a 4" barrel. That with the lower recoil Buffalo Bore ammo might be pretty darn close to ideal for me. It would have similar ballistics to the 41 magnum but in a stainless revolver. It would also take common ammo in the situation that my ammo didn't make it on the trip with my gun. Not a likely scenario but one that I would like to avoid. When I take my 264 win mag on hunts in the states I always have my 270 win or 300 win mag along as back-up just in case. I know anywhere that sells ammo has it for them.

Yes I know I'm overthinking it. I figure all the things I'm looking up might be a good resource for someone else looking for a handgun too. Winter is long and I have to have something to keep my mind busy!

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Last edited:

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
I was bitten by the 10mm bug but I went with the Glock 40 MOS instead of the 20SF. Got it with the intention of putting a small red dot on top (and did for a while), but I really enjoy shooting a handgun with a properly long sight radius, so I took it back off after a while.

I love wheel guns and still shoot USPSA revolver matches when I can, but the G40 has become my permanent hunting companion. It's just easier to shoot quickly and accurately, inexpensive/tough enough that I'm not the least bothered dragging it through whatever I encounter, and the numbers the 10mm puts up with proper Underwood ammo or handloads (especially with the longer barrel) are all I'd ever want. Plus I can throw my Surefire X300 on for nighttime at the ranch.

Tons of inexpensive trigger and sight options as well, I'm just about to replace my rear with a plain serrated black sight (not a fan of the 'cup' on the stock rears) and have a set of fronts for every occasion, flat black for target shooting, fiber optic for the occasional match, tritium for hunting. Tritium sight was $37.50, other two were ~$20 each, wish all my firearm spending habits were this reasonable!

howl

WKR
Shot placement trumps displacement. Spend on getting extra good with the .357s you already know you enjoy.

S&W 69 is pretty sweet, though.

I have a Glock 20’with a KKM barrel, I carry it in a gunfighters inc kenia chest holster loaded with underwood 220g hardcast. Love that thing.

If I’m not carrying that it’s either a SW 625 mountain gunnin 45lc or a Ruger redhawk 44mag. I don’t go anywhere without a sidearm.
Does the barrel make a big difference?

Larry Bartlett or Luke Moffatt may chime in here.....PM them and see what they carry. Also call AK Fish and Game and ask what pistol and ammo most of them carry. I did this several years back and ended up with a 10mm Glock 20 as others have mentioned.

Note: Be aware Glock's position on hard cast bullets and factory barrels.....talk to there tech support.

Last edited:

Shraggs

WKR
Went thru same decision because I wasn’t able to get 2 rapid shots off with my S&W 629 44 in 4” barrel. My second shot was always high and right.

Did some math and figured it would take $1000 in ammo and time I didn’t have to improve my shooting.

So I bought glock 20. Out of the gate I can shoot as well as my other semi autos. I have also carried it with 9 rounds to save a little weight.

Improved trigger, installed a lazermax and plan to change sights out for better low light options.
John

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not trying to rain on your parade if you want an excuse to buy a new handgun, but I wouldn’t carry both if I was already rifle hunting. In fact we’ve done a number of hike in caribou hunts where two hunters shared one rifle between them. Same with summer backpack trips for interior grizzly, ususally just one rifle between the two of us. Long summer thru hikes where we aren’t hunting Luke carries a .44 and we stay close together. Heck, after I killed my kodiak brown bear, we only took one rifle back the next day when we went to skin it out. Best defense in AK bear country is making a lot of noise and staying aware. It’s been my experience remote bears don’t want much to do with people, and as long as you let them know you are around they stay out of dodge.

I would be looking for a mid sized revolver chambered in 44 Special or 45 Colt running a 250 grain hard cast cast around 1000 fps.
Another option for a 10 mm would be a Tangolio. Pretty heavy, but Carrie's nice in the right holster. Great trigger and holds more rounds than a 1911.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Sidebar here.. has anyone looked at aftermarket slides for glocks to further reduce their weight?

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
I bought and carry a Glock 20 Gen 4 for this very reason.

UNDERWOOD AMMO OR BUST! Even far superior to Buffalor Bore by FAR! I shoot 10mm and 460 S&W Mag. Only in the 460 do I still shoot buffalo bore, but also Underwood ammo. Underwood makes a 10mm 200gr High Tek poly coated hard cast that is cruising @ 1350 out of my new Springfield 1911 TRP 6" long slide. Its barely busting through 64" of ballistic gel. Its put bears down easy, mountain lions, badger, deer and elk. Those are my go to calibers.
64" of gel, eh? Substantial

Another option I saw that might work for me when looking last night is the Ruger Blackhawk 41 magnum. I have owned a Super Blackhawk in 44 and it was a bit big framed for my hand. I have a regular Blackhawk convertible in 357/9mm and it fits my hand well. The 41 looks to be on the same frame as my 357 but I plan to email Ruger to be sure.

The 41 magnum offers a decent jump in performance over the 10mm or 357. Using the same Buffalo Bore examples as above, the Heavy Outdoorsmans highest energy load shows a 230gr bullet at 1450fps for 1074 ft/lbs of energy. Underwood shows exactly the same.

That 41 load is right in line with the load for the 44 magnum they call their "reduced recoil" load and recommend for the S&W 329PD handguns. It's below their heavy 44 magnum loads, but still in the ball park energy wise. Their 305 grain heavy 44 magnum load shows 1,325 fps/M.E. 1,189 ft lbs. It's a bigger diameter and much heavier bullet, but the 41 is no slouch.

Worst part about the 41 is that it looks like it's only currently available in blued. Probably not a deal breaker for me where it would only be on occasional trips but it still takes more care. The 4.62" barrel version is 38oz and the 6.5" barrel is 41oz. Not as light as the Glock or Springfield 10mm, but right in the ball park of 10mm 1911's. Loaded weight with six 41 mag rounds might not be much different than a 10mm with 15 rounds either. Looks like they can be found reasonable on Gunbroker too is a guy is patient and not real picky on finish. I fit both of those.

With what's available today, I'd think they LAST thing you'd want is a Single Action revolver for SD

With what's available today, I'd think they LAST thing you'd want is a Single Action revolver for SD
I can understand this point of view, but I usually end up carrying one. I feel like I can get the first shot off faster than an other type of gun. Also, I can point shoot one handed more accurately with a single action. I practice drawing and shooting an auto from above the waistband concealed carry style. Drawing close to the body and, getting on target, and pushing out with butterfly thumbs. I'd have to change this muscle memory to get it to work with a backpack. Practicing drawing a single action from a low riding holster (cowboy style) seems to work better with a backpack for me. The design of a single action is from a time when people point shot with one hand. It's very fast into action, and seems (to me) practical in a charge situation.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
Sidebar here.. has anyone looked at aftermarket slides for glocks to further reduce their weight?

I think that's a trip down the rabbit hole of diminishing returns, and potentially not a desirable one from a slide velocity standpoint if you're going to be using stout loads

PA Hunter

WKR
I love my Ruger Alaskan .454 Casull with 405 gr hard cast in a Diamond D Guides Choice holster. I think it is pleasant to shoot.

If I did the semi route it would be Gloac 20 10 mm hard cast also.

I had a Springfield xds worst pistol I ever owned made in Croatia.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I understand the philosophy against a single action revolver. I guess I'm just used to them and figure that I'm only going to get off one or maybe two good shots before things to go h**l anyway. I am not a guy who shoots a striker fired handgun a lot, and honestly won't be unless I end up buying a 10mm. Revolvers and 1911's I already shoot regularly. I find that a good consistent trigger pull on a striker fired handgun is slower for me than a hammer or 1911 safety and crisp single action trigger.

It's a far cry from a bear attack but as a kid I shut down charging badgers, racoons, and a feral dog with a single action 22. As a kid I did stupid stuff and should not have been in those situations. Only thing I'm trying to say with this is that I can run a single action pretty fast.

This is by no means me saying one action is better than the other, just me saying what I shoot best.

I plan to shoot the 10mm Glock that was generously offered to me my TeamKabob and see how I do with the higher recoil striker fired handgun before making a decision.

Becca is far more experienced than me and I respect her opinion. I do want an excuse to buy a new gun. I should just save the money for more tags or points instead. I still might.

howl

WKR
Single actions are my favorite kind of handgun. I don't own one, though I used to have a few.

All my handguns, except the doomsday 9mm, are double action revolvers. The reason is that's the one kind you could stick into the side of whatever is bothering you and have good odds of firing all rounds on board. Also, .44 magnum.

Shraggs

WKR
I also agree with Becca, although haven’t been to Alaska yet. But if I’m carrying a rifle I have bear defense no need to add another 2-4 lbs or weight. But always do when archery hunting.

Sled

WKR
For the weight, it's hard to beat the Glock 10mm. I have a 20 and wish I had the compact version for packing. At the range the full size is nice. I doubt you'd notice the trigger pull if you really need to use it in bear country.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I don't think you can beat the weight of the Glock 10mm from what I've seen. The only way might be the S&W 329 44 magnum but I bet that sucker kicks with hot loads! I think I'll stay away from that one for my use, I shoot better with less recoil. When reading Buffalo Bore's stuff on their site it looks like they developed the light recoil 44 load they make for that 329.

I agree with people about probably not packing the handgun and rifle at the same time, it makes sense. I think having one handgun in camp makes sense too if I have the weight for it. Especially if one of us tags out early, we fish in our waders etc. If I tag out early I might decide I'd rather pack the 44 than my 300 while helping him fill his tag or vice versa. The more open the country is the better idea just the rifle seems like to me too.

The handgun wouldn't be necessary but might be more convenient than packing a rifle at all times if we have the weight to spare.

I still have a Winchester 94 trapper lever action in 44 mag. It seems like I should also have a handgun to go with it at some point. Since selling the Redhawk I have thought several times about getting another one. I want to shoot the 10mm Glock before deciding between anything.