Handgun to carry while rifle hunting Alaska

my buddies a surveyor for the government in Alaska. Been at it 17 years.

He's got a saying about 44 revolvers:
Need just one bullet. makes it quick for the bears.

A J Frane Smith and Wesson 340PD in 357 Mag. Stays on my Stone Glacier Hip belt in a black leather Black Hawk holster. I honestly don’t know it’s there.

I guide/sheep hunt/grizzly hunt with this set up for close to 50 days in the field yearly. It is my go to rig. I’m never going into the backcountry without a small pistol with me. It is nearly impossible to negotiate a rifle inside a tent if a bear where to attack while you were inside.

If you were to be knocked off stride by a charging bear while “on the trial”, most likely your rifle will also be thrown away from where you can get to it. A neatly tucked out of the way revolver will most likely still be attached to your pack if that scenario were to happen.

Arctic grizzly are our smallest of the grizzly species though more aggressive in my experience. Most shots would be “close contact” type shots and a stout loaded 357 is more then capable.

Less then 17oz this entire set up weighs fully loaded with five extra back up rounds. That will not make or break your trip weight I guarantee it. If so there is other less important items that need to go.

The chances that you would ever need it for these types of bear charging situations is so very low. I’ve never needed mine. But the amount of weight it is for the comfort and preparedness it’s foolish not to bring it along. Same goes with my first aid kit. About the same weight, never had to use it once but I would never think of going in the backcountry without it.

Last edited:

KJH

WKR
I've carried quite a few different handguns in different calibers while hunting in AK, but now its either a .460 S&W 2.5" barrel or a Taurus Raging Judge 3" with .45LC+P or 454 Casull ammo and a handful of shotshells along for a bird or rabbit. When fishing its a short pistol grip 12 ga. with buckshot.

When I'm packing meat back to camp, I only carry a handgun so I can use my arms for balance and poles .I've never had a situation where I've needed to shoot a bear with it so I can't say that my choice is correct.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks everyone for the replies.

I have that S&W 386XL Hunter 357 I carry now that isn't to heavy. I just threw it on the scale. In the holster I use with 14 rounds of 158gr JSP ammo it's 2lbs 9oz. Empty it weighs 28oz, it's lighter than I remembered.

It might still be my best bet. It's light, it's a full size gun I know I can shoot well, and I already own it. Nothing but some heavier 180gr ammo needs purchased if I stick with it. I've packed it a lot of miles already on scouting trips and know the holster doesn't bother my with my pack. I have not needed it, but sure felt better having it a couple times. Last year in Wyoming a black bear cub ran across the old logging road in front of us as we were walking out. We never saw mama and never had an issue, but I was still less nervous with the gun on my hip than I'd have been without it.

After seeing we didn't draw for Wyoming elk just now it's time to decide on our back-up plan for this year. It might be Kodiak island for blacktail which is another hunt I'd probably want a handgun along on.

I also use trekking poles when packing meat. In the past I've not been in big bear country. I attach my rifle to my pack first load and go back without a gun or with the 357 on other loads depending on where the animal is. We still pack the quarters away from the carcass and hang them if possible, but it probably wasn't as important in the past as it will be in the future.

The saying that I like best about firearms and bears: "the best gun is the one your partner is carrying". Will you have a hunting partner?

Anyways, I think any of the mentioned options are fine. Whatever you enjoy the most and will become most proficient with will be the best. If you do have good revolver skills, I might steer you that way. I think the biggest reason why the 10mm has been successful is that the platform is easier to shoot than a powerful revolver, so if that isn't necessary . . .

OXN939

WKR
Glock 20 was what saved that guy who was attacked by a Kodiak Grizzly while elk hunting on Afognak a few months ago. Give the podcast a listen, it'll inform your perspective on this issue a lot. The handgun you're carrying is much more likely to save your buddy's life than your own.

I'm all about some wheelguns, but for a lot of reasons, G20 is my go to out west.

dla

WKR
S&W329pd is a top choice. I like Glocks, but the G20 in 10mm isn't that interesting cause you aren't going to be able to use 15 rounds in a bear attack. So you end up carrying much more weight than the 329 - for nothing.

FlyingScot

Lil-Rokslider
S&W329pd is a top choice. I like Glocks, but the G20 in 10mm isn't that interesting cause you aren't going to be able to use 15 rounds in a bear attack. So you end up carrying much more weight than the 329 - for nothing.

Nothing says you have to top the magazine off! I rarely put more than 10 rounds in mine.

MFS

FNG
I'm in the process of planning a caribou hunt in AK. The area I'm looking at is said to have a fairly large population of arctic grizzly by the transporter I'm looking at using. It sounds to me like it might be a good excuse to get another handgun.... It's the time of year I have to much time to think of this stuff while feeding cows every morning.

I will be taking a 300 win mag rifle to hunt with in AK probably shooting the 180gr Nosler E tips again. I won't be taking a bow.

I have had Ruger 44's in single and double action in the past. I could handle the recoil fine with good grips, but I never felt like I shot them as well as I did other guns when I tried to shoot quick. Even with the smallest grips I tried they seemed just a bit big for my hands. I always shot the 357 revolvers I had enough better that I eventually got rid of the 44's.

My favorite handgun and the one I carry in the woods now is a S&W 386XL Hunter. It's pretty light for full size 6" 7 shot revolver, I think around 30oz. It weighed about the same as the 5 shot SP101 4.2" gun I had for a while. It fits my hands very well and I shoot it very well.

I have been considering getting a 10mm semi-auto. I have shot a Glock 19 and a Springfield XD in the past and never cared for the striker fired pistols trigger pull. I'm used to worked over revolver and rifle triggers I think is part of the problem. I shoot them decent but not as well as revolvers or 1911's.

For concealed carry I mostly carry a Sig 938 9mm but will carry a Commander size 1911 at times. I like the 1911's very well and shoot them well. I can shoot them well quickly too when practicing carrying them cocked with the safety on.

That's the back-ground of what I like and what I have experience with. Now for the 10mm options I'm considering:

Springfield XD 10mm 5.25” barrel, 32.8oz empty, fiber optic front adjustable rear sight, rail, 3 mags $550

Springfield 1911 10mm 6.25” barrel 45oz empty, tritium adjustable sights, rail, 2 mags, $1535

Glock 20 10mm 4.6” barrel, 30.7oz empty, tritium sights, rail, $600

The striker fired guns are much lighter than the 1911 and easier to take down in the field. A Glock with a 15 round magazine loaded is lighter than the 1911 empty. I really like the features of the Springfield 1911 but I could see the weight causing it to be left in camp the time I needed it. The Springfield is the only one without an option of tritium sights. I like the idea of a rail in case I wanted to bring the little light off the Sig 226 I keep in the nightstand to put on the handgun at night.

The other option is not buying a 10mm and taking the 357 I already have. It weighs like the striker fired 10mm's and I know I shoot it well.

I compared Buffalo Bore Heavy Outdoorsmans loads also:

The 357 with Buffalo Bore 180gr ammo shows 1400fps and 783 ft/lbs of energy

The 10mm with Buffalo Bore 220gr ammo shows 1200fps and 703ft/lbs of energy

Not a lot of difference in the numbers, but the 10mm has a heavier bullet and larger diameter.

What would you guys do? Take the 357 I'm already familiar with or teach myself to be better with a striker fired gun? Stop being a puss and pack the heavy 1911? Until I tag out I'll have my rifle with me at all times too so that can be considered.

Thanks for the replies. If nothing else it gives us something to discuss in the slow time right now!
Glock 20 with 220gr ... I like the idea of the chestrigs but I usually have my bino harness on so have it on bag strap— that being said I wouldn’t go anywhere without my bear spray

DocD5150

FNG
64" of gel, eh? Substantial
Yeah. The only other hand guns I've seen do that are the 460 and 500. I'm sure there might be some 357 Mag loads that will do it. Its always the good old hardcast though. Shear, raw energy.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
MCSeal, I have two you can test out. 10mm Glock 20 and Smith 500 4”. Both have gone to Alaska with me and are great when on chest holsters!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got to shoot this Glock today when teamkabob was out turkey hunting at my place. It is a darn nice gun. I can't say I'm in love with Glock or striker fired pistols still, but I can say I shot it well. It's a significantly better feeling trigger than my Kahr CM9 or Ruger LCP striker fired guns. I ran my rolling ball target that's probably 5" or so in diameter from 20 to 45 yards shooting it deliberately. I then brought the target back to a starting point of 15 yards and shot some rounds drawing and firing a single shot. I wasn't trying for a speed record with an unfamiliar gun, but was going as quick as I felt safe. I shot it well that way to making first round hits and pushing the ball further out each one. I finished with a few shots seeing how quick I could regain the target after a hit and put another round on it. It bounced and moved every shot but I was able to keep it moving pretty quick. I wasn't using hot ammo but the gun was very controllable and quick to regain the target with. Recoil was not any worst than the hotter 45 loads I shoot in my 1911 for home defense. Even with the hotter loads I don't think I will have a problem with it.

I might have to buy a Glock 20 with night sights if I decide to get a new gun. Even if I don't love the feel or trigger as much as my 1911's or revolvers, it's light and it seems effective at the job I intend it for from my initial experience. Also holsters and accessories are as plentiful as they would be for any option I could find. I see why they are so popular.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
I got the Glock 20 Gen 4. I like it so far, about 50 rounds down the barrel. I started some other threads on it since, everyone probably knows already.

ReinsuranceShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I was bitten by the 10mm bug but I went with the Glock 40 MOS instead of the 20SF. Got it with the intention of putting a small red dot on top (and did for a while), but I really enjoy shooting a handgun with a properly long sight radius, so I took it back off after a while.

I love wheel guns and still shoot USPSA revolver matches when I can, but the G40 has become my permanent hunting companion. It's just easier to shoot quickly and accurately, inexpensive/tough enough that I'm not the least bothered dragging it through whatever I encounter, and the numbers the 10mm puts up with proper Underwood ammo or handloads (especially with the longer barrel) are all I'd ever want. Plus I can throw my Surefire X300 on for nighttime at the ranch.

Tons of inexpensive trigger and sight options as well, I'm just about to replace my rear with a plain serrated black sight (not a fan of the 'cup' on the stock rears) and have a set of fronts for every occasion, flat black for target shooting, fiber optic for the occasional match, tritium for hunting. Tritium sight was $37.50, other two were ~$20 each, wish all my firearm spending habits were this reasonable!
So I picked up a g40 also and plan on adding a red dot. Chest holster was the preference for working and having it but when hunting with a bino harness, that is not good. If any one can comment on using a tactical type thigh strap while hunting that would be appreciated. I am torn on the thought of wading through brush with it strapped to the leg.