Hanwag Trapper GTX Boots

Vandal 44

WKR
I wanted to post up how Hanwag handled an issues that I had with my Trapper GTX Boots

I was tightening up my Trapper GTX and I pulled one of the eyelets out, this is something you don't to happen as you are walking out of the tent to go hunting. Nothing I could do, so I laced them up and went out (no elk killed on this trip) When I got back to the house I googled what type of warranty Hanwag has on their boots (1 year warranty from date of purchase) I sent Hanwag an email, the next day I had a response; asking for a copy of the receipt showing date of purchase. I called Barney's Sports Chalet in Anchorage and the guy emailed my receipt right over.

I emailed the receipt to Hanwag, the next day I received an email back asking what size boot are the boots; a week later I received a new pair of Hanwag Trapper GTX with a FedEx return label for the damaged boots.

Hanwag are my go to boots and the way they handled the warranty makes them even better.

A big thanks to Hanwag and Barney's Sports Chalet in Anchorage, AK

Attachments

• Hanwag.jpg
    Hanwag.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 126

kiddogy

WKR
nice! always good to hear about a company standing behind their products

OP
Vandal 44

Vandal 44

WKR
BigCedarJack, the Hanwag Trapper GTX are my favorite boot. I have owned Lowa, Zamberlin, Kenetrek and few other top end boots.

The Trapper GTX is a stiff boot maybe a little stiffer than the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme. The Trapper GTX has great ankle support, the overall quality of the boots is top shelf (with the exception of the eyelet) warranty and customer is exceptional, these boots needed no break in time for me out of the box ready to go, the sizing is true. If there is a negative it’s the insoles, they are garbage.

I hunted North Idaho mountains in the Trappers for 12 days in September and another 6 days in October. I had zero foot issues.

I like the Hanwag so much a purchased a pair of the Alaska GTX this boots not as stiff as the Trapper but same great quality.

If you would like more specific information let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BluMtn

WKR
I wear the Tarta top GTX and have about 5 or 600 miles on them and they still have a lot of life left in them, I also have a pair of Alaskans that I wear a lot also. I like a stiff boot for hunting in steep country. When the time comes to replace them I will probably go with the trapper.

I have a pair of Trappers that are going on their 3rd full hunting season. I use them fairly hard on steep sidehill country in PA. With steep, rocky side hills, snow etc I have thoroughly enjoyed the extra support. I have yet to get wet feet even when hunting all day in 10in of wet snow and stream crossings. This boot is my first "mountain" boot and I do not see myself going back to a more traditional hunting boot for the terrain I hunt in.

Mosby

WKR
I have a pair of Trappers that are going on their 3rd full hunting season. I use them fairly hard on steep sidehill country in PA. With steep, rocky side hills, snow etc I have thoroughly enjoyed the extra support. I have yet to get wet feet even when hunting all day in 10in of wet snow and stream crossings. This boot is my first "mountain" boot and I do not see myself going back to a more traditional hunting boot for the terrain I hunt in.

I grew up in Lycoming County myself. I know the hills you speak of.

BigCedarJack, the Hanwag Trapper GTX are my favorite boot. I have owned Lowa, Zamberlin, Kenetrek and few other top end boots.

The Trapper GTX is a stiff boot maybe a little stiffer than the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme. The Trapper GTX has great ankle support, the overall quality of the boots is top shelf (with the exception of the eyelet) warranty and customer is exceptional, these boots needed no break in time for me out of the box ready to go, the sizing is true. If there is a negative it’s the insoles, they are garbage.

I hunted North Idaho mountains in the Trappers for 12 days in September and another 6 days in October. I had zero foot issues.

I like the Hanwag so much a purchased a pair of the Alaska GTX this boots not as stiff as the Trapper but same great quality.

How do the Alaskans fit compared to trapper? Do you run a different insole than what comes with the boot. My only small complaint would be when spending all day on flatter or hard ground my feet get a little sore/ fatigued. I wonder if a different insole would help?

My last pair of boots was the hanwag trapper tops. Great to hear about the warranty but mine havent needed it. Someone made a comment about them being stiffer then the kenetreks. I found the opposite. To me they feel waaay softer than the treks. I was very worried about them not having enough support in the sheep mountains. They have proven worthy though! Previously I have run through 3 pairs of kenetreks, 2 mountain extremes and one mountain guide. I never thought I would wear anything else but my last pair just never fit right. I ended up with some nasty blisters. I saw the trapper tops on sale and tried them. They have been very comfortable and I recommend them. Dont let the "soft" feel fool you, they support better than you would think.

OP
Vandal 44

Vandal 44

WKR
How do the Alaskans fit compared to trapper? Do you run a different insole than what comes with the boot. My only small complaint would be when spending all day on flatter or hard ground my feet get a little sore/ fatigued. I wonder if a different insole would help?
The Alaska GTX are not as stiff as the Trapper. The insoles in the Hanwag boots are garbage, I have a pair of custom orthotics that I run in all my boots. I go with the Alaska GTX if I am hunting flat to rolling hills very comfortable When chasing elk in the steep nasty mountains i wear the Trappers. Hope this helps

Kenai_dtracker

Lil-Rokslider

I'm reading through this old post on the Hanwag trapper boots, and I'm wondering how much more insulation the trappers have over the Tatra? The website says they are for colder weather, but I do not see much more than that. Are they a good fall boot, comparable to the Mountain Extreme uninsulated?

OP
Vandal 44

Vandal 44

WKR
I'm reading through this old post on the Hanwag trapper boots, and I'm wondering how much more insulation the trappers have over the Tatra? The website says they are for colder weather, but I do not see much more than that. Are they a good fall boot, comparable to the Mountain Extreme uninsulated?
I have owned both Han Wag Trapper GTX and the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme, I would say that both are very similar in warmth. I have used both in early archery season

I have the hanwag trappers which have 200 grams insualtion. I also have the kenetrek mountains which have 400 gram insulation. I actually find the hanwags a tad warmer but they also fit a bit looser which is probably why they feel warmers.

BCsteve

WKR
I have the hanwag trappers which have 200 grams insualtion. I also have the kenetrek mountains which have 400 gram insulation. I actually find the hanwags a tad warmer but they also fit a bit looser which is probably why they feel warmers.
Where did you find out that the Trappers have 200gr of insulation? I have a pair as well and was doing research before I bought them and nowhere could I find the insulation value.

OP
Vandal 44

Vandal 44

WKR
I didn't know you could get an insulated Trapper GTX, the HanWag and the Kenetrek I have owned where both uninsulated.

Where did you find out that the Trappers have 200gr of insulation? I have a pair as well and was doing research before I bought them and nowhere could I find the insulation value.
I am not sure where I got that info? I just looked at the box and it doesnt say anything there. I bought them last year and think maybe the sales girl might have told me that?
I didn't know you could get an insulated Trapper GTX, the HanWag and the Kenetrek I have owned where both uninsulated.
I just emailed hanwag to ask about the trapper tops insuation. Will report here when I here back from them.

BCsteve

WKR
I am not sure where I got that info? I just looked at the box and it doesnt say anything there. I bought them last year and think maybe the sales girl might have told me that?

I just emailed hanwag to ask about the trapper tops insuation. Will report here when I here back from them.
Cool, let me know. With the googling I did all I could find was that it was a Gore proprietary insulation but couldn't find a grams of Thinsulate equivalent. The girl at Valhalla in Abbotsford didn't know either.

They are definitely insulated and warm though.

I just heard back from hanwag about the insulation value of the trapper tops. They said " the trapper top gtx has insulation bonded to the goretex layer". They didnt offer up what value or grams this insulation was.

BCsteve

WKR
I just heard back from hanwag about the insulation value of the trapper tops. They said " the trapper top gtx has insulation bonded to the goretex layer". They didnt offer up what value or grams this insulation was.
Thats weird, you would thing that even if its not the typical Thinsulate insulation they would have an equivalent value to help their customers decide if its what they're looking for.

Thats weird, you would thing that even if its not the typical Thinsulate insulation they would have an equivalent value to help their customers decide if its what they're looking for.
Yes I agree totally! Insulation is an important consideration. Poor marketing in my opinion. At least here we can help each other figure this stuff out a bit.