Hard to beat the 7mm-08ai?

For a non-magnum rifle with an 18-20" barrel is the 7mm-08ai one of the best options for an elk/deer rifle? The 7-08 is one of those that does really well out of a short barrel. Going to an ai gives us a little more, not much, but if we want to squeeze everything we can out of a short rifle maybe worth it? Build it on a medium or long action and you could load it long with 160's.

N2TRKYS

WKR
What kind of speed would you get out of the ai version shooting 140 grain Partitions and Accubonds from a 20” barrel?

OP
MuleyFever
Maybe someone that has one will chime in. If I remember right a few years ago I had a Savage LWH and I was getting 2900+ with factory Federal 140gr ammo out of a 20" barrel using a Caldwell crono.

Last edited:

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Always wanted a 7-08 AI 700Ti to go with my 270. Hard to beat that in a short action.

OP
MuleyFever
Always wanted a 7-08 AI 700Ti to go with my 270. Hard to beat that in a short action.
That would be a sweet rifle. I am looking for a new 7-08 for my wife to shoot suppressed (she has a 7-08 Howa but its heavy) and thinking of building one off a Tikka. The thought just came into my mind why not go AI to get a little more juice?

I’m getting 3150 FPS out of my 22 inch barrel 280 ackley with 145 grain bullets without pushing it very hard. What’s the advantage of a 7-08ai? Hard to get brass and ammo I would bet also.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
My first deer rifle was a 7mm-08 Browning BLR. That was pure death on deer…that was when I was concerned with quantity rather than quality. Superb deer cartridge and a little extra juice couldn’t hurt.

Rambler

FNG
An 18-20" 7 Saum will still outrun an 18-20" 7mm-08 AI, just sayin'. I've never had either in those barrel lengths but having owned both in barrels from 22-24, I'd say there is no short barreled magic in the AI. Im certianly the biggest proponent of the 7mm-08 and AI in my circle of friends, with the AI being the better case design but there is no "magic" there.

OP
MuleyFever
An 18-20" 7 Saum will still outrun an 18-20" 7mm-08 AI, just sayin'. I've never had either in those barrel lengths but having owned both in barrels from 22-24, I'd say there is no short barreled magic in the AI. Im certianly the biggest proponent of the 7mm-08 and AI in my circle of friends, with the AI being the better case design but there is no "magic" there.
You may have missed the non-magnum part.

OP
MuleyFever
I’m getting 3150 FPS out of my 22 inch barrel 280 ackley with 145 grain bullets without pushing it very hard. What’s the advantage of a 7-08ai? Hard to get brass and ammo I would bet also.
If using the 140 class projectiles I am guessing the 7-08ai would be about right there in a short action with less powder in a 20" barrel. Cut that 280ai to 20" and your cutting it back more.

Fire forming is no big deal. Great reason to practice shooting.

Rambler

FNG

You may have missed the non-magnum part.
Same goes for .284 Win, not labeled a magnum but pretty darn close to 7mm SAUM (a magnum?)...Pick your poison. Doing well in a shorter barrel is some crap regurgitated online.. Horsepower is horsepower, no getting around it. I'm a huge fan! The 7mm08 AI is a fine round, better than the original but not suddenly magical or more efficient or whatever BS just because you put it in a shorter barrel.

Last edited:
If using the 140 class projectiles I am guessing the 7-08ai would be about right there in a short action with less powder in a 20" barrel. Cut that 280ai to 20" and your cutting it back more.

Fire forming is no big deal. Great reason to practice shooting.
I have no problem fire forming. I’m just failing to see any real advantages of 7-08ai over a 280ai. I guess short action and burning slightly less powder at the expense of slower speeds, having to fire form, no factory ammo, brass or guns. I’m with you on the short barrel suppressed route as that’s what all my rifles are(including my 280 ackley). Not trying to rain on your parade. It will probably be a cool project. Good luck, should be fun. Sorry if I came across as a Debbie downer.