Hardest units to draw CO

cnelk

WKR
Maybe you're right. So.....What is your point? In 29 years the point creep has increased and things have changed through out the state and so have my questions. I am not a resident like you. I don't have the inside scoop and advantages like you.
With 29 points I still can't get an elk hunt in the NW corner of the state. I am 61 years old now. I am told by Colorado wildlife agents and outfitters that because of the point creep. That I will most likely be in my 70's before I would draw a NW corner elk tag. (Keep in mind I started collecting points when I was 31)
With that said, I decided to cash in this year in a lesser unit. I am tired of giving the state of Colorado $115 each year just to collect preference points. I will be muzzleloader hunting unit 61 come this September.

Well, nothing wrong with using your PPs in 61. Probably not much difference in the NW units these days.

Good luck - 61 is fun

OP
T
Hey congrats!! I honestly had no idea that a whole second conversation went on lol, but I appreciate you going to bat for me.

For all the other comments here’s some answers/info for them:

Back then when I was reading through I missed the point only code part, so I thought that you applied for units that were high to build up the points for lower point units.

I have no interest in the high point units, I just want to get at least one bull and I want to do it diy. I was thinking a 3-5 point unit will be the best unit I’ll ever try for. I also figure that OTC will eventually go away, so I wanted have some points for a chance in the future.

I’m from Ohio, not texas. I made that username because I have the same username for so much stuff I figured I should switch it up. Now that I’ve been on here enough I can see that anything with texas is a bad username choice to have when it comes to anything Colorado…

Ohio has a very simple license system even compared to neighboring states. The license is good for the whole state. The majority will of draws we have are for youth, veterans, and handicapped, and you draw for specific hunts on a specific week. I also know ohio wanted to try to introduce elk, but I believe the prelim studies showed that the human population in the Appalachian area was too dense to keep elks safe from car traffic.

I didn’t apply last year, I have my own consulting forestry business and March-May is my busy season. I did enjoy the comment that I shouldn’t be running around in the woods! I’ve done forestry and wildfire work in California, Wyoming, Colorado, Montana, Indiana, West Virginia, and Ohio. I’ve also worked for the Forest Service, Weyerhaeuser, and 2 DNR’s.

I did end up applying this year for tags in low-no point units for elk and mule deer. And grabbed a point for pronghorn and bighorn for fun. I was one of those employees that benefited from the fees, so I don’t mind applying for a hunt I may never get to go on.

Good luck with points to everyone this year!

Del Gue

FNG
Hey congrats!! I honestly had no idea that a whole second conversation went on lol, but I appreciate you going to bat for me.

For all the other comments here’s some answers/info for them:

Back then when I was reading through I missed the point only code part, so I thought that you applied for units that were high to build up the points for lower point units.

I have no interest in the high point units, I just want to get at least one bull and I want to do it diy. I was thinking a 3-5 point unit will be the best unit I’ll ever try for. I also figure that OTC will eventually go away, so I wanted have some points for a chance in the future.

I’m from Ohio, not texas. I made that username because I have the same username for so much stuff I figured I should switch it up. Now that I’ve been on here enough I can see that anything with texas is a bad username choice to have when it comes to anything Colorado…

Ohio has a very simple license system even compared to neighboring states. The license is good for the whole state. The majority will of draws we have are for youth, veterans, and handicapped, and you draw for specific hunts on a specific week. I also know ohio wanted to try to introduce elk, but I believe the prelim studies showed that the human population in the Appalachian area was too dense to keep elks safe from car traffic.

I didn’t apply last year, I have my own consulting forestry business and March-May is my busy season. I did enjoy the comment that I shouldn’t be running around in the woods! I’ve done forestry and wildfire work in California, Wyoming, Colorado, Montana, Indiana, West Virginia, and Ohio. I’ve also worked for the Forest Service, Weyerhaeuser, and 2 DNR’s.

I did end up applying this year for tags in low-no point units for elk and mule deer. And grabbed a point for pronghorn and bighorn for fun. I was one of those employees that benefited from the fees, so I don’t mind applying for a hunt I may never get to go on.

Good luck with points to everyone this year!
I hunt Ohio as well. Mostly whitetail archery. We hunt Scioto county. Between Portsmouth and Piketon.
Where abouts you located?

OP
T
I hunt Ohio as well. Mostly whitetail archery. We hunt Scioto county. Between Portsmouth and Piketon.
Where abouts you located?
I’m now in the Northwest part of the state where I grew up, but when I moved back to Ohio I managed brush creek, pike, scioto trail, and Shawnee’s timber. So I know the area well!

sneaky

"DADDY"
I’m planning on going out to elk hunt in 2-3 years. I just want to get some points but I have no way I can hunt this year or next. What units should I apply for points that almost guarantee I won’t draw? Unless I’m totally wrong on how points work and they are only for the unit you apply?
The western system is incredibly confusing, just look at Ohio’s rulebook if you want to see almost extreme simplicity and I think you’ll understand why I’m lost.
Ohio doesn't have a simple rule book. Literally every county has different regulations on doe harvest lol

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
And every WMA has different regulations. There's isn't any different than any other state. Clear as mud. I've hunted Ohio many times, it's alright, but still stuck with those stupid straight walled rifle cartridge regulations. At least it's cheaper than Illinois.

OP
T
And every WMA has different regulations. There's isn't any different than any other state. Clear as mud. I've hunted Ohio many times, it's alright, but still stuck with those stupid straight walled rifle cartridge regulations. At least it's cheaper than Illinois.

The straight wall thing is more because the northwest part of the state. It’s so flat (and it’s populated) that you can see houses 4-5 miles away. Southern ohio I don’t see much difference what you use.

I will agree the WMA’s can be all over, and the maps they have for them need a serious update. Once you get to the WMA they usually have sign’s posted to clear up a lot though.That doesn’t have to do with applying for a tag itself though. You buy an either sex permit and you can hunt wherever you’d like in Ohio as long as you have permission or are within the huntable portions of public ground.

OP
T
Ohio doesn't have a simple rule book. Literally every county has different regulations on doe harvest lol

They made some changes in the last 5-10 years, they did away with the antlered/antlerless and went to either sex. Doe tags used to be really cheap. I don’t mind that we can only get one buck a year now though.

The main thing is to always check the county that year because they’ll change the amount based on population and harvest records. Northwest used to all be one buck one doe and that’s went up over time, the southwest used to be like 2 bucks and 4 does.

I think the Cleveland/Toledo/Cincinnati/Columbus areas will always have the highest amount of deer you can take. They have some serious issues with deer density in certain areas.

Del Gue

FNG

Ohio is one of the best mid-west whitetail states to hunt. Over the counter license and buck tags. Generous doe tags. They aren't doing anything out of the norm with the straight wall cartridges. It's what most the mid-west states are doing. I can shoot my 45-70 out to 300 yds. Doesn't seem like much of a disadvantage to me.
Keeping long range centerfire rifles out is what helps produce the big trophy whitetails in most mid-west states.
I could not draw an archery tag with 4 preference points in Iowa last year. I had a buddy who's group did not draw with 5 points as well in Iowa. Once drawn in Iowa it will cost about $700 for the opportunity to hunt deer there.
On the other hand, you can hunt every year in Ohio and the opportunity only costs about $250.

OP
T
Ohio is one of the best mid-west whitetail states to hunt. Over the counter license and buck tags. Generous doe tags. They aren't doing anything out of the norm with the straight wall cartridges. It's what most the mid-west states are doing. I can shoot my 45-70 out to 300 yds. Doesn't seem like much of a disadvantage to me.
Keeping long range centerfire rifles out is what helps produce the big trophy whitetails in most mid-west states.
I could not draw an archery tag with 4 preference points in Iowa last year. I had a buddy who's group did not draw with 5 points as well in Iowa. Once drawn in Iowa it will cost about $700 for the opportunity to hunt deer there.
On the other hand, you can hunt every year in Ohio and the opportunity only costs about $250.
Hey now don’t let everyone here know our worst kept secret. I mean we literally have the yearly and total amount of “Ohio big bucks” taken listed by each county right in the rulebook…

I will say though, the walleye run is pretty intense. Guys are shoulder to shoulder and fist fights happen. Also the game wardens are undercover fishing right beside people. So if you come here for that be prepared.