Harvest vs Kill Poll

Harvest or Kill, which is a better term for what we do?

• Harvest

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • Kill

Votes: 150 82.9%

• Total voters

Gumbo

WKR
I have to admit that I cringe a little every time I hear a hunter use the term "harvest" as a euphemism for "kill". I believe it removes the significance of taking an animal's life. And I don't buy that antis or those on the fence give two hoots about what we call it. I think we should acknowledge the significance of the act and not treat it like it something wrong or bad that needs to be forgiven or that we need to put a thin veneer on so that we don't offend those who don't agree with our lifestyle.

Am I in the minority or majority????

Words cause reactions in the human mind. There are very good reasons that things like war efforts are called "Operation Enduring Freedom" instead of "We're going to occupy your land forever and kill 100,000 civilians" (not a judgement on the war, just using hyperbole to make the point).

I think it is wise to use the term "harvest" when discussing hunting with non-hunters, the media, etc. Humane harvest is even better, as we can point out that the animals we hunt experience perhaps the most humane deaths possible compared to those who are taken by predation, disease, or starvation.

The same thing applies to the term "Wildlife management". For big game, it could just as accurately be called "Making sure we have plenty of animals to kill on a regular basis for eating and trophies!"

Last edited:

jhm2023

WKR
When you physically do something to cause a life to end then you KILL it. When you pick a fruit or vegetable from a vine, bush, etc. then you harvest it. It's that simple really. I'm not going to reduce the significance of taking a life to feed my family in fear of offending some overly sensitive person. Hell maybe some of that high fence shenanigans can almost be called harvesting, but even then it's still killing.

When you physically do something to cause a life to end then you KILL it. When you pick a fruit or vegetable from a vine, bush, etc. then you harvest it. It's that simple really. I'm not going to reduce the significance of taking a life to feed my family in fear of offending some overly sensitive person. Hell maybe some of that high fence shenanigans can almost be called harvesting, but even then it's still killing.

For the vegans you can tell them that at least you don't eat your food alive. :ROFLMAO:

SWOHTR

WKR
Can’t remember the last time I killed a crop of tomatoes...

So, I use “kill” or “take” (most often, kill) to describe taking a life. Harvest for what you do to a field or garden. I do not want to diminish from the meaning of taking an animal’s life and feel there is an important distinction.

PC needs to die!!!

Broomd

WKR
I use both interchangeably. It's really more for the person I'm talking with than myself.
Well said. I don't go out of my way to make enemies of acquaintences. Many people don't necessarily like hunting, but they tolerate it and guys like me who do it. For that reason, I use 'harvest'....

I guess I've never really given it too much consideration. Sometimes I say that I "killed", sometimes I use the term "took" (meaning took it's life), sometimes "shot", and sometimes I say harvested. For me I just think it depends on the context of the conversation and just my preferred choice of words at the time.

Oh, and I was also fortunate enough to HARVEST a decent mountain goat last week as well. :D

Neither, I usually say that I got a doe or I shot a buck. Harvest is for plants but I see no reason to use the most direct adjective their is to describe what everybody knows is happening. Especially when talking to people that are neutral on hunting. We have too many hunters that are only worried about the "kill" and glorify that portion rather than the preparation, the time viewing nature, and time with friends and family which should be more important.

Northernpiker

WKR
Classified Approved
I usually say " I didn't kill anything today but hopefully I harvest a fat fawn tomorrow ".
I think we all get a little tired of Politically Correct but there is a time and place for it.

TheCougar

WKR
“Harvest” is a politically correct term to disguise that you indeed are killing something, with the goal of disguising the nature of the act through semantics, thereby attempting to gain respect in the eyes of your adversary, while losing respect in the eyes of your own community.

I’ll pass.

I hunt animals, I kill animals, and I eat them.