Has anyone done a drop test on Leupold Vx5hd?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
"Mixing it up" is a figure of speech I use and includes agreeing and/or disagreeing with a post.

No, mixing it up does not mean, nor did you intend it to mean- discussing ideas like an adult. You show what your version is in nearly every post. Almost every one of your posts has nothing to do with the OP, giving factual information, or trying to correct poor information- it’s smack talk, snide remarks, ad hominem responses, off the cuff irrelevant comments and general teenager behavior.

You're much more thin skinned than I previously thought. No wonder you left the 'fire.

Not behaving like an immature teenager in responding to, nor caring to discuss with people that do so is “thin skinned”? I no longer post on the fire because the posters act just like you. I do not care about your views on Covid in a technical discussion, nor how many big bucks you, or anyone else has killed in a discussion about equipment as it has no relevancy. Nor do I care how long you have been doing something because it’s used an appeal to authority, nor do I care about “it works for me” statements as “evidence” in a discussion. Those are all fallacies.

Research is great. I don't consider throwing your gear around like that idiot Big Stick as research, however. You keep bringing up asinine and ignorant things......made me think of a MT elk hunt you posted over there. "Entertaining" to say the least.

Neat. Your point about a hunt over a decide ago? Feel free to post where I have ever given how to hunting advice. In your personal experience with hunting elk in ID/CO/MT it was incorrect? I mean since you like fallacies, you have killed an elk backpacking in a western state on your own with no one else helping, right?

It's not an "issue" as to how many game animals you've killed, but I've never heard anyone else here claim "thousands,plural".

I can’t help that you haven’t been around people that have killed a lot- whether as part of their vocation or because they wanted you too. In the group of serious cullers and depredation people I know, my “experience” (numbers) is rather low- I just hunted with someone that has killed as many or more bison than I have all game animals- so what? To a soccer mom flying a crop dusting plane might seem like a big deal. To an F15 pilot it’s rather lackluster.

Curious what you consider "asinine' and ignorant?

The poster was asking for information, because that is one way intelligent people learn. This is ignorant-

IMG_6527.jpeg

This is asinine-
IMG_6528.jpeg

This is your behavior in almost every post you make.

OP
Jfjfrye

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
Wondering if you usually let other people tell you if your scope/equipment works correctly?
Just looking for some reading material that backs the Leupold bashing I see on the forum. Other than forms test one a vx3 I wasn’t able to dig anything up. I thought maybe I had missed a large thread and wasn’t using right words in the search to pull it up. Still haven’t seen anyone suggest an actual test that’s been performed on the higher end leupold vx5 vx6 or mark scopes. 🤷🏼

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Just looking for some reading material that backs the Leupold bashing I see on the forum. Other than forms test one a vx3 I wasn’t able to dig anything up. I thought maybe I had missed a large thread and wasn’t using right words in the search to pull it up. Still haven’t seen anyone suggest an actual test that’s been performed on the higher end leupold vx5 vx6 or mark scopes. 🤷🏼

There are 2x VX3HD evals and 2x Mark 5 evals. Leupold states that the mechanics (erector systems)are identical in VX3/5/6 scopes. I have used quite a few VX5 and VX6 scopes and their behavior is the same as the VX3HD’s. If you want a posted eval, I cannot help you until someone’s sends one in. Ryan won’t buy one for the eval because it’s a waste of money- they behave just like all the VX series do.

Tom-D

FNG
Every scope brand has failed at some point. My buddies March took a dump, Ive seen NF fail, Swaro fail, I had a Zeiss V6 fail, of course vortex fail , Burris , Bushnell, etc. If you have a good one enjoy it . Its the companies with good CS that is where you put your money and trust to resolve it. My leupolds over 30 plus years have been reliable with a couple I had to send back and they were fixed. Zeiss got fixed too. We shoot and dial more than any generation ever. Keep shooting and stop bitching
While i do appreciate good customer service it really doesnt help when your away on a 10 day hunt You have been waiting all year for and you miss your shot because you slipped over walking the day before

OP
Jfjfrye

Jfjfrye

Lil-Rokslider
There are 2x VX3HD evals and 2x Mark 5 evals. Leupold states that the mechanics (erector systems)are identical in VX3/5/6 scopes. I have used quite a few VX5 and VX6 scopes and their behavior is the same as the VX3HD’s. If you want a posted eval, I cannot help you until someone’s sends one in. Ryan won’t buy one for the eval because it’s a waste of money- they behave just like all the VX series do.
Thank you form…. I will check out the mark 5 evals. I missed those. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. This post did not go anywhere near where I thought it would. Never meant to stir shit up.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Go to a different forum and you'll have lots of people who would bet there once in a lifetime hunt on a leupold scope. I've personally never had a problem with leupold

This isn’t an argument, I believe that bolded statement. What is missing with the “mine have always worked” is any sort of data or details on how they are checking correct function other than “I killed a deer”.

Could you offer some information on your use- what Leupold scopes, how are they zeroed- round count per group and is it POA/POI or some version of “X distance high at 100y”? How many rounds have you shot using them and how many times have they been dialed to for long range? How often are you checking zero? Have you shot a 7-10 shot group that was zeroed, then dialed up and down a few hundred MOA between shots and checked return to zero for another 7-10 shot group? If so, what were the results? Have you zeroed them, then dropped them on purpose and rechecked zero? If so how did you do it? What were the results?

I would greatly like for the people that say they don’t have any issues ever do the above. Just zeroing with a 10+ shot group, then not touching the zero, but have the rifle riding in the back seat of a farm truck on top of gear without a padded case and check zero every few days. Do this for a few months and take pictures to document. Don’t change ammo, or hold off- just shoot it and track it with some semblance of purpose.

But we can’t get anyone to do it- people claim they shoot all the time, check zero all the time and never have any issues at all, yet they can’t or won’t take pictures of a group that’s actually zeroed, then snap a pic of the zero check groups. They post pictures animals and pretty rifles, and they argue- but they can’t snap a pic of a group each time they shoot?
The reason is very simple- people aren’t shooting enough to actually know what their scopes are doing, nor are they doing anything with their rifles and scopes other than going from a padded safe, to a padded case, to a padded seat, to a padded bench, back in a padded case, to a padded seat, to back in the padded safe. Every time someone posts a picture of their “insert whatever scope“ that supposedly works great through their “hard use”, it’s brand new without a speck of dirt or dust on it, nor a scratch to be found.

but I will still hunt with a wood stocked rifle so I'm probably just loony toons

So do I- prefer them actually.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thank you form…. I will check out the mark 5 evals. I missed those. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. This post did not go anywhere near where I thought it would. Never meant to stir shit up.

It’s hard to have a direct, technical discussion online. As I have stated multiple times- no one does overall scope design as far as ease of use, looks, size, etc. as well as Leupold. If they made a modern scope as reliable as their old Mark 4 fixed powers, they would be all that I used.

JGRaider

WKR
This isn’t an argument, I believe that bolded statement. What is missing with the “mine have always worked” is any sort of data or details on how they are checking correct function other than “I killed a deer”.

Could you offer some information on your use- what Leupold scopes, how are they zeroed- round count per group and is it POA/POI or some version of “X distance high at 100y”? How many rounds have you shot using them and how many times have they been dialed to for long range? How often are you checking zero? Have you shot a 7-10 shot group that was zeroed, then dialed up and down a few hundred MOA between shots and checked return to zero for another 7-10 shot group? If so, what were the results? Have you zeroed them, then dropped them on purpose and rechecked zero? If so how did you do it? What were the results?

I would greatly like for the people that say they don’t have any issues ever do the above. Just zeroing with a 10+ shot group, then not touching the zero, but have the rifle riding in the back seat of a farm truck on top of gear without a padded case and check zero every few days. Do this for a few months and take pictures to document. Don’t change ammo, or hold off- just shoot it and track it with some semblance of purpose.

But we can’t get anyone to do it- people claim they shoot all the time, check zero all the time and never have any issues at all, yet they can’t or won’t take pictures of a group that’s actually zeroed, then snap a pic of the zero check groups. They post pictures animals and pretty rifles, and they argue- but they can’t snap a pic of a group each time they shoot?
The reason is very simple- people aren’t shooting enough to actually know what their scopes are doing, nor are they doing anything with their rifles and scopes other than going from a padded safe, to a padded case, to a padded seat, to a padded bench, back in a padded case, to a padded seat, to back in the padded safe. Every time someone posts a picture of their “insert whatever scope“ that supposedly works great through their “hard use”, it’s brand new without a speck of dirt or dust on it, nor a scratch to be found.

So do I- prefer them actually.
LOL.......I'd rather kill/cull deer/hogs/aoudad than sit at the bench shooting 3-10 shot groups personally. I check zero before every hunt just because. I hunt 100+ days out of the year, so it's easy to tell when my scopes quit working as they should.

JGRaider

WKR
Formid, I'm admittedly not a diehard Western hunter, and have only killed 2 elk in my life (not hundreds like you). Everyone who read and commented on your MT elk hunt knows it was an exercise in ego. Mr Magoo could see it.

kkp005

WKR
At one point I had 3 Vx5hd’s in 3-15 because dang the “glass” looked so good and that made in Merica gold ring sure looked pretty on my rifles…. I felt like I was constantly chasing zero and just attributed it to taking my suppressors on and off and it slightly affecting my POI. Got paranoid about the vx5s after reading about them on here and sold them. Purchased 4 Credos for the price I sold my 3 vx5s for
2 in 2.5-10x56
1 in 4-16 x 50
1 in 2.5-15 x 42

Put them on rifles and miraculously everytime I’d take screw a suppressor on one they’d still be dead on.

I linked a vx5 fail thread on page 1. There are also a bunch of vx6 fail threads floating around here and lrh. If you're not finding them it is a selective reading issue.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Formid, I'm admittedly not a diehard Western hunter, and have only killed 2 elk in my life (not hundreds like you).

Please point out a single time I have stated I have killed hundreds of elk?

This is the behavior I wrote about- you don’t addressed lints made or even write the truth, just innuendoes and as above- outright falsehoods and lies.

JGRaider

WKR
Your schtick gets old with regards to posters who don't worship the ground you walk on, and sometimes disagree with you. Upon disagreement, you'll ask for 46 target pics, fingerprints, affidavits of authenticity, and misc other nonsense to "prove" the disagreements. After I posted about the 60+ head of African game, hundreds of hogs/deer etc killed with my VX6, I'm surprised you didn't ask for a TEAMS meeting with the Namibian outfitter to verify.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Pretty sure you didn't get my drift in regards to my last post

I’m guessing you are correct.

and you never did answer my question in regards to testing the mark 4hd.

Apologies, I missed the question.

I personally can't see the point in you testing any more leupold scopes unless they state they've changed the internals, do you?

In more VX3hd’s- no. In VX5 and 6’s, as well as Mark 5’s- yes. The new Mark 4 is unknown and I want to see them used.

And fwiw I'm not trying to start a pissing match with you, yet it seems from your last post that you are thinking I was.

No sir, not my intent at all. My relsimse was two part- one for saying I don’t disbelieve you- can you describe what you are doing. And, two- people aren’t being intellectually honest, or truly don’t understand why saying “I killed a deer with it, but haven’t actually checked it” doesn’t provide any useful information.

I'd be happy to post targets of groups with one of my leupold scopes after driving with my rifle in my truck day after day on some of the worst gravel roads in MT. I do that pretty much every day anyway as I live 12 miles up a shitty gravel road. Come summer time I could shoot and post targets once a week. That said are you going to believe my pics without being here in person? If my scope fails I will happily tip my hat to you.

It’s the internet- and I generally try to take people at their word. You haven’t behaved irrationally here, so yes- I would like to see what yours does. Hell if it works I will ask for you to meet Ryan and I to shoot and see it in person. We’ll buy multiple of that same scope to eval when we come.

I won't be dropping any of my guns but I'm happy to bounce them around in my pickup for you.

May I ask why not? They have a great warranty, Leupold will repair them if damaged, and it’s a data point.

Even still just a continuous log of one being shot and used that doesn’t look like it’s spent its life in a museum would be good.

Also if you read my previous posts it was your testing that convinced me to buy another nightforce as the only scope that ever failed me to the point my hunting trip was over was a nx8 that fogged up internally. I seen countless Atacr scopes that had the same issue but not first hand, just on the internet and you know what that's like...lol

I’m not addressing anything personal- or that isn’t my intent unless specially stated, just the information or points made. As for multiple ATACR’s fogging internally…. I know the source that’s sponsored by another company, and the people it supposedly happened to- they are still using ATACR’s by choice. As I am just some unknown person, take it as any other info.

Do you ever test any scopes for intense temperature swings? Just curious as that's my only doubt in terms of nightforce durability. By intense temperature swings I mean going from -30 without windchill to 70 above as those temp swings are not totally uncommon for me.

Nonstop. Thats mainly the environments I am in every year. I get that there is a lot of posts, but my posts are littered with use from extremely dry, hot and dusty, to multiple feet of snow and -20°F or lower.

Sorry this post took the wrong path. Feel free to delete my posts or whatever would like to do.

I’m not sure what you are getting at? I am not a moderator, I do not delete or alter posts, nor do I talk with the moderators. I only have mod permission so that I can pick the scope eval threads.

UpNorth89

Lil-Rokslider
Just because a certain scope has been used to kill a bunch of animals doesn't mean that it hasn't failed. I've seen many people with what they consider great setups that have killed animals have to make adjustments from let's say 1-3 MOA before ever season when they check zero.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Your schtick gets old with regards to posters who don't worship the ground you walk on, and sometimes disagree with you. Upon disagreement, you'll ask for 46 target pics, fingerprints, affidavits of authenticity, and misc other nonsense to "prove" the disagreements. After I posted about the 60+ head of African game, hundreds of hogs/deer etc killed with my VX6, I'm surprised you didn't ask for a TEAMS meeting with the Namibian outfitter to verify.

And you did it again- you didn’t address the falsehood or lie- because I know you know that I have never stated I have killed “hundreds of elk”.

And, no it isn’t a schtick- it’s asking for more information beyond that you shot a massive target at close range and it died at some point. When you or anyone else asks about gear, use, numbers or experience with that item, or just what to argue with no real desire to discuss- I answer almost across the board bluntly and directly. I have zero issues showing targets, use, or anything else that’s pertinent.

ddowning

Lil-Rokslider
Saying scopes work because you can kill game with them is ridiculous. I dropped a burris xtr2 when I slipped on ice calling coyotes. The fall cracked the wood stock. I shot 1 shot at a 1" dot at 100 yards and hit the center of it. I kept hunting. I didn't check zero for awhile. I shot 10 coyotes from 80 to 276 yards with that scope without missing. I went to find a load for a different bullet. The scope was broken. The "groups" were roughly 3" at 100 yards. For some guys hunting deer, that would have been 10+ years with "no issues." Who knows how long my streak of luck would have lasted?

JGRaider

WKR
Saying scopes work because you can kill game with them is ridiculous. I dropped a burris xtr2 when I slipped on ice calling coyotes. The fall cracked the wood stock. I shot 1 shot at a 1" dot at 100 yards and hit the center of it. I kept hunting. I didn't check zero for awhile. I shot 10 coyotes from 80 to 276 yards with that scope without missing. I went to find a load for a different bullet. The scope was broken. The "groups" were roughly 3" at 100 yards. For some guys hunting deer, that would have been 10+ years with "no issues." Who knows how long my streak of luck would have lasted?
When you get to Africa, you are required to check zero in front of your PH and trackers. It's not an option. It will be very apparent if you have a problem, quickly. Your rifle will take an absolute beating in the back of a Landcruiser truck, much worse than a 4 wheeler or ATV. Same thing goes for Mexico. Also, I specifically stated I check zero before every hunt.

Form, you're right, you never said you killed hundreds of elk. I just figured it was buried somewhere in that "thousands, plural" number. Don't take disagreements so serious. There's a serious and very successful bench rest competitor of on the 'fire who has the opinion that most scope problems start with piss poor mounts/mounting procedures. I know that doesn't pertain to you Form, but I would very much agree as it relates to the vast, vast majority of hunters and shooters out there.

JGRaider

WKR
I will make a point to do some shooting this summer and post results, even though I'm sure some on here will turn it into a shit show again.

Form, my leupolds are mostly old vx3i but I'd be happy to shoot with you and show you if are out my way. No doubt you guys could give me lots of pointers to improve my shooting.

As for your question as to why I won't be dropping my guns I guess it's because I was taught to take better care of my stuff and quite honestly when I have taken falls unexpected while out hunting I will always check zero as I feel I owe it to the animal I am after. I also primarily archery hunt and feel that my compound bow is far more fragile than my rifles and I'm used to babying my bow and suppose it's made me do similar with my rifles.

By babying I mean I don't lash my weapon onto my backpack, I pretty much always have it in my hand and when sidehilling I keep it in my hand towards the downhill side as if I fall it's usually falling backwards. If I go ass over tea kettle forwards the last thing I'm going to be worried about is my weapon....lol.

I've hunted most of montana including the unlimited sheep units to Alaska and if im being honest ive only taken a couple of hard falls in the last 35 years, lucky I guess

I was just being honest as to what I would be willing to do and post results.
Great post! You only have yourself to please Jolley, keep that in mind. That, and have some fun with it.