Has anyone done a drop test on Leupold Vx5hd?

Dixie

FNG
Can anyone point me to a thread talking about leupold Vx5hd and why they are not reliable and any posts about drop testing on this scope….. the search bar has left me with no success.

Likely hear"sell that junk and buy a SWFA" ...then find out people are waiting a year+ for warranty replacement on them..go figure?

Tom-D

FNG
I know a guy who took his scope off and tried to shoot down the barrel like a shotgun on a bedded buck that wouldn’t budge after a lot of shooting… it didn’t work, but may be worth practicing if you decide on a leupold

I bet 100 rounds shooting down the barrel, you could make it work inside 50😏

That’s a true story btw, which makes it funnier. I recommended next time, leave the rings on and use them like a peep sight, and made sure he knew I was kidding
Maybe mount a red dot on top 😂

Decker9

WKR
Many many hard mountain miles over the last handful of years, and ALOT of dialling on our 1000 yard range, my vx5 has never skipped a beat.

No offence to anyone, but until I personally have one fail, or someone I personally know and trust has one fail, it’s all internet here-say.

Dixie

FNG
That’s a neat sounding bullet, can you tell us more about them?

And how much shooting with that 300 ultra mag did you do?
My bad 190 LRX... just picked up some 212 and 220 eldx and had that on my brain

About 75 rounds so a small sample size.
Verdict still out,will do a few minor drops and see how it holds up.

Been using VX's since I got my first one around 1980 and have been using them since with very few problems .

My new Tikka build (7 PRC) will likely have an SHV or NX8. Using the NX8 2.5x20 on my.338 ultra and it's definitely a better aiming device.

Macintosh

WKR
To me It’s all just jealous posturing until multiple people document and post their drop test pass. Where my personal experience overlaps with the drop tests, it matches very closely, so Im a believer until a better alternative comes along. I’ve posted my leupy fails previously, 2 vx3’s and a vx5 consistently failed to hold zero under normal range and field use—of my personally owned leupold scopes I have a 75% failure rate, generally a shift of about 2moa, but at times as much as 4moa. One I didnt know better and sold the rifle/scope before I swapped scopes to verify that was the culprit, but it manifested exactly the same as the others that leupold verified were not functioning properly. I have no doubt lots of people have great luck with them, also no doubt plentynof people (most scope owners?) arent shooting in a way that they’d be able to notice and document a 2moa shift. For thise folks it also might not matter.
whatever it is Im doing apparently doesnt jive with the leupold scopes Ive owned, so I wont use them any more.

Last edited:
Here’s the thing, there are leupold scopes out there and always have been that are reliable and work. There also are way too many unreliable and failing scopes out there. Vortex gets shit on too, but from my personal experience and others I have seen when they fail they lose zero by .1 or .2mil which is a fail but not catastrophic. The leupold failures I’ve seen have been double or triple that, sometimes even worse.

People get their undies in a bunch from failures, and trying to defend their optics. If you are at all skeptical of your optic like the OP is…that should tell you all you need to know. Move forward how you please but your decision has already been made.

mule man

Lil-Rokslider
Every scope brand has failed at some point. My buddies March took a dump, Ive seen NF fail, Swaro fail, I had a Zeiss V6 fail, of course vortex fail , Burris , Bushnell, etc. If you have a good one enjoy it . Its the companies with good CS that is where you put your money and trust to resolve it. My leupolds over 30 plus years have been reliable with a couple I had to send back and they were fixed. Zeiss got fixed too. We shoot and dial more than any generation ever. Keep shooting and stop bitching

If you're referring to me, I've got nothing against Forms testing. In fact it even convinced me to purchase a nightforce, an nxs 2.5-10x42, even though my only previous scope failure was a nightforce nx8 that fogged up internally ( I know that must have been my fault because a nightforce can't fail). So far I do like the nxs but I definitely won't be getting rid of my leupolds.

All said I find it comical that every damn scope thread on this forum turns into a nightforce lovefest.

And yes I also find it comical how every leupold scope loses zero just from driving down a gravel road in a padded case , often by so much that it can't hit a 2 foot target at 100 yards.
Your last paragraph…that exact thing literally happened to my buddy with his VX5HD….

I get what you’re saying though. I’m not a fan of nx8 scopes, but nxs and atacr I’d run any day of the week. They get a love fest for a reason. And no scope is safe, anybody will have a defect at some point. I think the point a lot of people overlook is count the number of nightforce failure claims compared to leupold and the hate come into perspective.

jfk69

Lil-Rokslider
If you're referring to me, I've got nothing against Forms testing. In fact it even convinced me to purchase a nightforce, an nxs 2.5-10x42, even though my only previous scope failure was a nightforce nx8 that fogged up internally ( I know that must have been my fault because a nightforce can't fail). So far I do like the nxs but I definitely won't be getting rid of my leupolds.

All said I find it comical that every damn scope thread on this forum turns into a nightforce lovefest.

And yes I also find it comical how every leupold scope loses zero just from driving down a gravel road in a padded case , often by so much that it can't hit a 2 foot target at 100 yards.
I didn’t refer to anyone specifically. Odd you felt slighted.

No one mentioned Nightforce in this thread until you.

Use whatever you want, I don’t care. The premise of my first post still stands lol.

bigmike23

Lil-Rokslider
What I've learned in my time here, is don't bother hunting unless your scope weights 2lbs +, has a reticle that was pulled right off the USS Ronald Reagan, could survive a nuclear blast Indiana jones style, cost minimum 1500$, have a minimum 5-25 zoom, 56mm bell, and come with a sandwich on the side.

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
Wondering if you usually let other people tell you if your scope/equipment works correctly?
I do! All the time.

It's why I own Stihl instead of Poulan chainsaws. DeWalt instead of Black and Decker. Toyota pickups instead of anything else. It's why I don't smoke cigarettes or do meth. It's why I believe that the earth isn't flat.

I trust people who do objective testing and publish their results. I trust the experiences of others when it's backed up with data. I suppose I could spend all that money and do all that testing myself, or I could find the best information available and use that to make an informed decision.

Then I use the equipment and track how it performs. It's very rare to have wildly different results than I find in pre-purchase research.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

CorbLand

WKR
What I've learned in my time here, is don't bother hunting unless your scope weights 2lbs +, has a reticle that was pulled right off the USS Ronald Reagan, could survive a nuclear blast Indiana jones style, cost minimum 1500$, have a minimum 5-25 zoom, 56mm bell, and come with a sandwich on the side.
You should definitely do some more reading.