has tikka changed barrels lately?

Sled

WKR
I've had several tikkas over the years. most of them are stainless but 3 of them have been "blued". my most recent one came in looking rough, almost like it was finished on a belt sander with coarse grain sand paper. it's nothing that a little duracoat can't fix but it just looks cheap in general. i can't imagine it not rusting in a humid environment on its first hunt unless it were dipped in oil each day.

fwiw, the action looks great and in no way matches the barrel in finish or color.

OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
i haven't shot it yet and plan to send it off for a trim job & thread. i can take some pics tomorrow when im back at the house.

fwiw, it was one of the locked and loaded tikkas on sale. not sure if they get a different product than other dealers but it was the same product code. JRTXE382

i haven't shot it yet and plan to send it off for a trim job & thread. i can take some pics tomorrow when im back at the house.

fwiw, it was one of the locked and loaded tikkas on sale. not sure if they get a different product than other dealers but it was the same product code. JRTXE382

I bought three of those and all look good???

OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
I might be getting too picky with it but I don't recall any of my other blued barrels looking similar.

Attachments

• IMG_20200424_100907.jpg
    IMG_20200424_100907.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_20200424_100819.jpg
    IMG_20200424_100819.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 147
OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
I think you're picky. That doesn't look concerning, nor abnormal.

i agree. after looking at my other tikkas and removing the packing oil it looks much better. there were blotches where some hand contact made the barrel look thin and shiny. either way, i'll shoot it and be happy. i'll still likely dress up the barrel with some cerakote/duracoat and thread for a suppressor.

thanks for helping get my head straight.

Shane431

FNG
After looking at the pics I think the barrel looks normal. It looks just like the 308 I used to have

Mpmoody15

FNG
I have a blued CTR purchased brand new in 2017 that looked exactly like that. It rusts from fingerprints. The first time it got rained on, I had to remove the action from the stock to clean up all the rust. It's a nonstop battle. I'll eventually get the barrel recoated in something.

TxxAgg

WKR
Maybe they're getting a tad sloppy under Beretta's ownership. I received a new T3x today. My FFL let me do a "drive through" so it was a pretty quick exchange. Got home and realized they'd shipped the rifle with NO Magazine.

Bud's is absolutey worthless with customer service. I hope Beretta is better come Monday morning.

16Bore

WKR
Probably not much sense in gloss blue on a synthetic stock. Maybe they’d be better off to bead blast the entire thing.

I have a blued CTR purchased brand new in 2017 that looked exactly like that. It rusts from fingerprints. The first time it got rained on, I had to remove the action from the stock to clean up all the rust. It's a nonstop battle. I'll eventually get the barrel recoated in something.
Oof... I’m in the market and this has me thinking I should maybe wait for a stainless

pirogue

WKR
I got a Tikka T3X about a month ago. Was actually wanting a stainless barrel, but I wanted to use my Cabelas points, and Cabelas didn’t stock the stainless in .243. Was satisfied that it was probably closer to a matte finish, than a high gloss finish. But it does shoot nice.