Have cancer. Going to Seattle for medical reasons. Fishing? Hiking tidbits?

Seeknelk

WKR
So I have to go to Seattle for a bone marrow transplant. I have cutaneous t cell lymphoma. (an extremely rare type)
I just finished 10 months of targeted chemo and am in remission but this is an aggressive disease that likes to come back.
I'm 44 with 6 kids , 14 years to 11 months.
I'll be there for 4-6 months. I'm sure there will be a wide range of conditions that I'm in but IF and WHEN I'm feeling ok and I'm cleared to do so, I'd like to venture out.
Steelhead with spey rod, saltwater for things that pull really hard, clamming, crabbing and good hikes with elevation would be my main interests. Possibly I could get on a charter when I'm doing fine but usually my immune system will be low so I'll have restrictions on that at times I'm sure.

Im going to order a rower and bring a few kettlebells. I've been following Starting Strength to put on all the muscle and strength I can before this but will change to aerobic base building and do what I can with KB.
I should explore making a living online in ways I don't even know exist. I'm a plumber by trade.
Anyway, this can be pretty open ended, just gunna be tough sledding for a bit.

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry to hear that, definitely not good circumstances. I don’t have a lot to offer advice wise, other than I would say that if you are doing well enough to hike then go hit up some trails in the Olympics. There’s lots of good ones that the family can do with you. At least the west side is beautiful, you’ve got that going for you.

OP
S

Seeknelk

WKR
Sorry to hear that, definitely not good circumstances. I don’t have a lot to offer advice wise, other than I would say that if you are doing well enough to hike then go hit up some trails in the Olympics. There’s lots of good ones that the family can do with you. At least the west side is beautiful, you’ve got that going for you.
Thanks a lot!
Yeah I'm obviously hitting up the old Google machine and finding trails etc.

OP
S

Seeknelk

WKR
Oh, I'll be going soon here in April and be there thru the summer into Sept maybe oct. Is there any steelhead runs that fall into this window? Maybe on the Olympic peninsula? I'm sure there's some summer fish around. Again I haven't done too deep on this stuff but will

MarkOrtiz

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know how it works for what you have, but we personally know 2 people that have cured their cancer (colon and pancreatic) using ivermectin and naltrexone. There are more and more studies being done. Might be worth it to talk to your Dr. about.

Elkangle

WKR
There's a never ending list of things to do with in a few hours of Seattle, if you make a way point on your onX on the "a" of Seattle, set the radius to about 45 miles..that would be a good minimum distance to get from Seattle..set another radius to about 95-100 miles and then explore any cool looking topography in-between those two radiuses...stay away from parks during peak tourist times.. be creative to get away from people and this is a pretty awesome state

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
Scope out the fishing opportunities on the Olympic Peninsula. I did it once many years ago during a weekend break from a business trip, but I was there in February. Good luck.

Elk97

WKR
Best of luck on beating the cancer, you've got a great attitude.
There's lots of fishing opportunities, both salt and fresh water. I'm sure there are charters close to Seattle or on the Olympic peninsula for ling cod and halibut (ling opens May 1 here in the San Juans and halibut is open now 7 days/week). Salmon doesn't start until July sometime and we should have a pretty good Coho run later in the summer and Sept. If you can try to work in a trip over the North Cascade highway (20) to Winthrop and down through Chelan for a great weekend round trip. There are also daily Orca whale watching trips out of Anacortes and other places if that's of interest. As others have said there is great hiking up in the Cascades and Olympics.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I'm guessing you'll be at the Hutch for treatment. World class. Good luck. The easy/fun button is jigging for squid on the Seattle waterfront in the evenings in the summer. After that, it's looking for guides. Hood Canal and the San Juans are great. Also consider floating/fishing the Yakima. It's a day trip from Seattle. Lot's of Cascade day hikes close by. There used to be a book series called hiking the cascades, but the web should be just as easy to find great hikes. It's a nice place to not do much either if you're low on energy. Even taking a ferry ride to Bainbridge is nice or driving around Widbey Island. Good Luck!

2ski

WKR
I have no ideas for dishing but want to wish you the best man. Good luck and be strong. May God heal you.

MP.hunter

FNG
Good luck with your fight! My dad is dealing with cancer in the brain and it sucks. I live south of Seattle about an hour. Lots of razor clam digs coming up which can be a lot of fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

Seeknelk

WKR
Thanks so much guys! The support is always overwhelming and needed for sure but we are doing quite well considering.
Yes I will be at the Fred Hutch Center. And we have a friend helping find us an apartment that is close enough. We do have a great support system of many wonderful friends so feel very blessed.
This is a one in millions type of rare so sample size is tiny. And the drug that worked wonders is really the only one in the toolbox so far besides a full immune system swap.
But yes I have been working and living life as usual just with lots of appointments. Ok well you all gave some good ideas and I appreciate it!