Have cancer. Going to Seattle for medical reasons. Fishing? Hiking tidbits?

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
If you can get a hookup with a boat and crab pots, I’d highly recommend the crabbing and fishing in the puget sound. I worked up there for a few months and we slayed the crab. Good luck with the transplant! I know the hospitals up there are pretty stellar.

mcr-85

WKR
Good luck! A good attitude helps stay in the fight and your attitude seems great.

My mom just got through beating cancer. She's still doing preventative/maintenance treatments for a few more months but things are looking good.

I really hope the best for you and your wife and kids. Kick its ass!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Hoping for your continued remission and beating this.

For hiking lurk on the NWhikers.net hiking forum. Seattle based hiking is epic and probably the best in the west. Look at the Alpine Lakes Wilderness area.
Steelhead fishing in the PNW is excellent but Im not familiar with Wa rivers.

JohnB

WKR
Best of luck on beating the cancer, you've got a great attitude.
There's lots of fishing opportunities, both salt and fresh water. I'm sure there are charters close to Seattle or on the Olympic peninsula for ling cod and halibut (ling opens May 1 here in the San Juans and halibut is open now 7 days/week). Salmon doesn't start until July sometime and we should have a pretty good Coho run later in the summer and Sept. If you can try to work in a trip over the North Cascade highway (20) to Winthrop and down through Chelan for a great weekend round trip. There are also daily Orca whale watching trips out of Anacortes and other places if that's of interest. As others have said there is great hiking up in the Cascades and Olympics.
I'm in Winthrop. Shoot me a PM if you wind up doing this drive and I'll get out trout fishing with you. Or there are a couple of short walk in evening bear spots if you wind up hunting.

Blacktocomm

Lil-Rokslider
Do you know specifically where you will be staying? If you stay a bit further out on the Eastside you could have pretty direct access to trails in Issaquah area.

Tiger Mountain has a few pretty flat trails like tradition lake plateau that on low energy days you could still get outdoors. Further East in North Bend at Rattlesnake lake there is pretty mediocre fishing, but also a nice flat trail to walk around with good views.

You should also check WDFW website because they have an annual trout derby and I've always thought it would be fun to try and catch a derby fish in all the lakes around Seattle.

Good luck with the treatments.

So I have to go to Seattle for a bone marrow transplant. I have cutaneous t cell lymphoma. (an extremely rare type)
I just finished 10 months of targeted chemo and am in remission but this is an aggressive disease that likes to come back.
I'm 44 with 6 kids , 14 years to 11 months.
I'll be there for 4-6 months. I'm sure there will be a wide range of conditions that I'm in but IF and WHEN I'm feeling ok and I'm cleared to do so, I'd like to venture out.
Steelhead with spey rod, saltwater for things that pull really hard, clamming, crabbing and good hikes with elevation would be my main interests. Possibly I could get on a charter when I'm doing fine but usually my immune system will be low so I'll have restrictions on that at times I'm sure.

Im going to order a rower and bring a few kettlebells. I've been following Starting Strength to put on all the muscle and strength I can before this but will change to aerobic base building and do what I can with KB.
I should explore making a living online in ways I don't even know exist. I'm a plumber by trade.
Anyway, this can be pretty open ended, just gunna be tough sledding for a bit.
First and foremost, I’ll pray for you. Second, I’ve been there and done that. People handle chemotherapy different. It really hammers some folks and others do ok with it. And, that has everything to do with how much and often they hit you with treatment.

the chemo is going to effect you more then the radiation. I’m assuming since you are staying they intend to keep you in the hospital. Just be realistic with what you do. And know how you feel is directly correlated to your treatment schedule.

If they hit you hard with the chemo, you aren’t going to be chasing steelheads. You won’t be doing anything except surviving. It’s going to be a long road with some bumps in it. But, you can do it. Just hold on. You ain’t driving anyway. Keep the faith. Fight scared and don’t give up. Put it all in Gods hands.

Good luck and God Bless.

OP
S

Seeknelk

WKR
First and foremost, I’ll pray for you. Second, I’ve been there and done that. People handle chemotherapy different. It really hammers some folks and others do ok with it. And, that has everything to do with how much and often they hit you with treatment.

the chemo is going to effect you more then the radiation. I’m assuming since you are staying they intend to keep you in the hospital. Just be realistic with what you do. And know how you feel is directly correlated to your treatment schedule.

If they hit you hard with the chemo, you aren’t going to be chasing steelheads. You won’t be doing anything except surviving. It’s going to be a long road with some bumps in it. But, you can do it. Just hold on. You ain’t driving anyway. Keep the faith. Fight scared and don’t give up. Put it all in Gods hands.

Good luck and God Bless.
Thanks so much! Yeah I already did 11 months of chemo but it wasn't hardcore shotgun approach chemo. It was a very targeting drug and I had almost zero side effects.
Now to prep me for BMT they WILL chemo me hard for a few days to delete my white blood cells and any left over cancer. Transplant is two days later I think. I'll be stuck right in the hospital for about a month after transplant day. So I know that won't be perfect.
But I know God has a plan and many are praying for me, I've physically felt those prayers come thru. Hard to explain.
We have to stay within 30min drive of the hospital so it'll be an apartment right down town.

SWOHTR

WKR
Sorry to hear!

I live on the west side and have spent the last 3 yr exploring. It’s never ending! Presently live in Arlington (an hr north).

A great family fun place for hikes of all abilities is the Mountain Loop Highway between Granite Falls and Darrington. I’ve spent a lot of time out that way - the old Monte Cristo railroad bed has been made into a lot of trails. Super cool.

Thanks so much! Yeah I already did 11 months of chemo but it wasn't hardcore shotgun approach chemo. It was a very targeting drug and I had almost zero side effects.
Now to prep me for BMT they WILL chemo me hard for a few days to delete my white blood cells and any left over cancer. Transplant is two days later I think. I'll be stuck right in the hospital for about a month after transplant day. So I know that won't be perfect.
But I know God has a plan and many are praying for me, I've physically felt those prayers come thru. Hard to explain.
We have to stay within 30min drive of the hospital so it'll be an apartment right down town.
You got this. It sounds like you’ve got a good plan. If they only nuke occasionally with the chemo, that’s a good thing. Hold on and God Bless.

snowburns

FNG
I’ve been there. In 2016 I was 30 and diagnosed with ALL (Leukemia). We live in Anchorage, AK and at the time had a 2 year old and a 4 year old. There’s not a lot of resources for that up here and I was medevaced to UW in Seattle immediately. I started treatment there for the first few weeks and then everything (except a few hospitalizations along the way) was outpatient at SCCA/Fred Hutch for the next 8 months. Almost daily chemo/blood draws and lumbar punctures every 10 - 21 days. My wife’s company had a furnished apartment a block over from Pikes Place Market that we stayed at for three months and then moved up to Ballard for the rest of the time down there. While in Seattle we found ourselves going on drives just to get out of the apartment. I couldn’t physically do much but I did what I could. After 8 months I was able to transfer to a doctor in Anchorage; still on daily chemo pills and monthly injections and lumbar punctures.

It was hell. I hated it. But my time in treatment forced me to slow down and appreciate every little thing along the way. Grateful to be alive and to enjoy my family, even if it was difficult to keep up. My career at the time was in EMS and I was no stranger to the good and bad of the healthcare system - nor was I a stranger to watching people suffering. It was one day at a time. Every day. Eventually when we came home I couldn’t work and I was a stay at home dad for almost three years while I finished treatment and recovered enough to go back to work. Some of the best days of my life were hanging out with my kids then. I tried to get involved with the local young adult cancer support group but most of the folks there were women in their 30s/40s going through breast cancer treatment. I never felt like I fit in. We had a strong support structure through coworkers, family and our church.

I don’t know if any of that helps or provides another perspective. Reach out if you want to talk more, or I can be of any help. In the end, I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

Not in Washington, further south. The west coast fisheries have had some tough years, you'll need to watch for closures. I know WA closes rivers to protect steelhead but have heard the state fish and wildlife mobile app is good.

As far as online jobs - customer support jobs seem plentiful. Sales and meeting setting as well, be careful as there are a lot of shady companies out there. Don't let the office geeks (like me) fool you. If you're polite and halfway personable, you can kill it on the phones.

Maybe look into IT certifications that can be done online. I know guys who jumped from the trades to IT or programming by doing online classes.

Maybe contact some technical schools in your area, WA, and honestly anywhere given video conferencing. Your experience may be valuable. Paid or not, helping the next generation of your trade will make you feel good. Keeping busy is good.

You should look into government assistance, you may qualify. It's not a hand out, it's what you've paid your taxes and worked hard for.

Fight the good fight, catch some fish!

Divide93

FNG
I would hit the Olympic P as mentioned. Maybe take a drive over to Leavenworth, beautiful little town. Our mountain training camp was there when I was stationed at Ft. Lewis! Some beautiful country and hope you do not have to spend any time there in the winter! I pray you can kick this cancer in the rear!