Have I finally found the ultimate upland and small game outer layer?

Michael54

WKR
After shredding quite a few windbreaker's and sweating my butt off in heavy brush coats I finally decided to see what i could do to find the outer layer that worked for me. My requirements were that it had to be blaze orange, briar proof, waterproof, and modular enough that i didn't have to continuously shed and add layers while rabbit or bird hunting. The closest thing I found was a mule brand vented brush shirt.Screenshot_20201222-202408_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20201222-203440_Chrome.jpg
So I called and asked Okie Dog Supply if they could make some customizations for me. Asking for side zippers instead of the vents and a larger front pockets so that I could keep my phone in one. The response was sure no problem. My shirt showed up today in brown instead of orange which was probably more my fault than theirs, in the process of calling Mike and making the order we got to talking dogs and hunting for 20 minutes before hanging up the phone.received_199479545230031.jpeg
I contacted Okie Immediately and this was the response I got
Screenshot_20201222-204448_Messenger.jpg

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
So i wore it today on my pheasant hunt. 28° with a light snow rain combo and 6" of snow on the ground and a decent amount of wind. It was my outer shell paired with a swazi fleece hood and first light fuse top. This thing is more than water resistant. Going through snow laden pines on top of what was coming out of the sky it never soaked through. The wind didn't bother me at all and being able to manipulate side zippers and unsnap buttons to dump and contain body heat while walking instead of constantly having to stop and shed or add layers was nice. This thing is light enough that i can wear it year round when running my dogs and just simply adjust my layers underneath to what i deem necessary for the temperature, whether its a basic t-shirt or a few layers. The sizing is a bit big. I wear 2xl shirts and this very easily layered over my fuse and hood. It wasn't so big that it hindered me shouldering my gun to shoot though. I'm extremely happy with the end result and will definitely be ordering another one if i wear this one out.

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
Definitely an interesting find for sure.
I'm thinking about applications for me.😄
It was nice that when i called they were more than receptive to my input and willing to make exactly what i wanted. I was kinda shocked when they told me to wear the brown one until the orange one showed up with a return shipping label, and then i could return the brown one.

Superdoo

WKR
Looks nice. I haven’t bought Mule before, but I do like the stuff from Dan’s Briarproof. They don’t have a vented jacket though.

cgr1971

FNG
Okie dog supply is awesome, Mike and his wife are extremely nice and great to deal with. I get all my supplies for my dogs from them, collars, leads, wormers and meds.

We just bought a couple Garmin Alpha 200's and six collars off of them and they beat everyone else's price by a good bit.

I have been meaning to ask him if he could put a layer of light nylon on the sleeves of a Carhartt hoodie for me, the briars and roses tear the cloth to shreds. I always wear my bibs when it's cold so the main body of the hoodie doesn't get too beat up, but the sleaves take a beating.

cgr1971

FNG
Since Dan's and Okie/Mule gear has been mentioned, I should also mention Stone Creek hound supply. They bought up the plans and patterns for the Wick gear after Wick went out of buisness and are making the Wick gear with a Stone Creek label. It's identical to Wick, same pattern, same material. My Wick coats and bibs are still going strong after twenty years. I also have Stone Creek bibs, can't tell them apart from my Wick bibs other than the name on them.

Stone Creek can also repair the Wick gear. The bottom of the legs on my bibs were shredded, the zippers were broke on both legs, the back pocket was torn half off, the velcro on the chest pocket was worn out, and there were a few holes in the legs. The replaced the bottom section of the legs, put in new zippers, put on new velcro, put a new back pocket on, and patched the holes in the legs for a very reasonable price. Stone Creek and Mule are the best brush gear going in my opinion.

Stone Creek can customize fit on jackets also. I stopped at their house/shop and they measured me up to make a jacket fit just right for me. I typically wear an XL, but I'm to big in the chest and across my back and need a bit more room. They are able to adjust the body girth and taper on the jacket, and still give me the proper length arms on it.

Like Okie, Stone Creek are a little mom and pop outfit and the owners are super nice people. They come to the beagle field trials here in PA.

Last edited:
OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
Stone creek and dans are both great companies and i have stuff from both, but neither had nor were willing to make what i wanted.

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
So my orange one came today and its perfect. When i messaged them in regards to them not sending me a return label for the brown one they let me use since i've gotten it while i wait this is the response i got.
Screenshot_20210112-145557_Messenger.jpg

I can't say enough good things about this jacket or this company.

slick

WKR
After shredding quite a few windbreaker's and sweating my butt off in heavy brush coats I finally decided to see what i could do to find the outer layer that worked for me. My requirements were that it had to be blaze orange, briar proof, waterproof, and modular enough that i didn't have to continuously shed and add layers while rabbit or bird hunting. The closest thing I found was a mule brand vented brush shirt.View attachment 245112
View attachment 245111
So I called and asked Okie Dog Supply if they could make some customizations for me. Asking for side zippers instead of the vents and a larger front pockets so that I could keep my phone in one. The response was sure no problem. My shirt showed up today in brown instead of orange which was probably more my fault than theirs, in the process of calling Mike and making the order we got to talking dogs and hunting for 20 minutes before hanging up the phone.View attachment 245114
I contacted Okie Immediately and this was the response I got
View attachment 245115

Now that’s customer service! Going to have to give them an email.

Thanks for posting this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
Now that’s customer service! Going to have to give them an email.

Thanks for posting this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea not only did they make it right they let me keep the original. And responded immediately

Dented

WKR
I called Okie Dog Supply today and they called me back. I discussed the OP's custom shirt with Mike and I'll be ordering one at the end of the month. I havent dealt with ODS previously, but if the time spent on the phone with Mike today is any indication, they have a level of customer service that's almost unreal. Post COVID whatever, what an enjoyable experience. And I think this is exactly the shirt I've been looking for.

tgoode

FNG
Thanks for posting this information Michael54. For those that upland bird hunt finding suitable clothing that can stand up to to all the hazards in the fields are well worth it. Bonus points to Okie Dog Supply! Nice to hear that there are still retailers out there that offer this level of customer support.

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
I called Okie Dog Supply today and they called me back. I discussed the OP's custom shirt with Mike and I'll be ordering one at the end of the month. I havent dealt with ODS previously, but if the time spent on the phone with Mike today is any indication, they have a level of customer service that's almost unreal. Post COVID whatever, what an enjoyable experience. And I think this is exactly the shirt I've been looking for.
Did you order one? And how do you like it?

Dented

WKR
I did order one. Arrived about 2 week's ago and it's perfect! Heavy canvas, bright orange and zippers for venting. I'm anxious to take it through the brush and really try to tear it up. I rarely double up on gear but I think I'm going to order one in the light weight fabric also.

Okie supply was wonderful to deal with. I just can't say enough good things about them. I mentioned your shirt and they knew exactly what I was talking about.

Michael54, thanks for posting about this, I wouldn't have put this together myself.

OP
Michael54

Michael54

WKR
I did order one. Arrived about 2 week's ago and it's perfect! Heavy canvas, bright orange and zippers for venting. I'm anxious to take it through the brush and really try to tear it up. I rarely double up on gear but I think I'm going to order one in the light weight fabric also.

Okie supply was wonderful to deal with. I just can't say enough good things about them. I mentioned your shirt and they knew exactly what I was talking about.

Michael54, thanks for posting about this, I wouldn't have put this together myself.
I'm kinda glad i have one in brown and one in orange now. Now i have one for dog training and one for hunting :)