Having a tough time with Weatherby Backcountry 2.0 Ti in .280 Ackley...

nobody

WKR
I'm not sponsored by them at all but I my PRS rifle has a Razor HD on it, and I have a 1-10x LPVO as well. I've had nothing but excellent performance on them.

The LHT FFP is nearly the perfect hunting scope on paper. I've got 2 now but admittedly haven't put a ton of rounds on them.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I've initiated an RMA with Weatherby and will let them sort this out. If it works when I get it back from them it'll be well worth the $200. I'd spend far more than that in time, ammo and parts to figure this out during a time when this ammo, in particular, is super scarce.

In the meantime, I'll look into new rings and potentially a new scope.
Just a thought, as cool as the 280 AI is, if you don't reload, any chance Weatherby would swap you for an easier to find cartridge or rebarrel it for you? Like to a 270 or something? Just throwing ideas out there...

OP
T

THellURider

Lil-Rokslider
Just a thought, as cool as the 280 AI is, if you don't reload, any chance Weatherby would swap you for an easier to find cartridge or rebarrel it for you? Like to a 270 or something? Just throwing ideas out there...
I frankly wish they'd make this rifle in like 7 PRC but they're not going to do that.

I'll see what they end up finding out - maybe I'll discuss a caliber swap....

Wrench

WKR
I shoot with a lot of people who can pound groups with low recoil 12 plus pound guns and can't shoot a group with my lightweight rigs.

When you think about the physics involved in the recoil event and the lack of consistency in the recoil.....it makes your groups look better than average. I have one 6# 270win that will shoot a single ragged hole for 5 shots if everything is done right. That same rifle in most of the people who don't own light guns is a 2 inch gun.

Ps, put me on the bandwagon for those who have trust issues with scopes.

OP
T

THellURider

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot with a lot of people who can pound groups with low recoil 12 plus pound guns and can't shoot a group with my lightweight rigs.

When you think about the physics involved in the recoil event and the lack of consistency in the recoil.....it makes your groups look better than average. I have one 6# 270win that will shoot a single ragged hole for 5 shots if everything is done right. That same rifle in most of the people who don't own light guns is a 2 inch gun.

Ps, put me on the bandwagon for those who have trust issues with scopes.

Yep - have thought about the LW rifle issue. This is easily, by several pounds, the lightest scoped rifle I own; however I'm not stranger to shooting hunting style rifles and shooting them well.

nobody

WKR
Yep - have thought about the LW rifle issue. This is easily, by several pounds, the lightest scoped rifle I own; however I'm not stranger to shooting hunting style rifles and shooting them well.
Did you shoot anything but 3 round "groups?" 3 rounds doesn't tell you much, any way you can shoot a 10 round group? More data points are never a bad thing.

OP
T

THellURider

Lil-Rokslider
Did you shoot anything but 3 round "groups?" 3 rounds doesn't tell you much, any way you can shoot a 10 round group? More data points are never a bad thing.
I didn't - I've basically expended what 280 AI ammo I was able to scrounge up.

SDHNTR

WKR
I'm not sponsored by them at all but I my PRS rifle has a Razor HD on it, and I have a 1-10x LPVO as well. I've had nothing but excellent performance on them.

The LHT FFP is nearly the perfect hunting scope on paper. I've got 2 now but admittedly haven't put a ton of rounds on them.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I've initiated an RMA with Weatherby and will let them sort this out. If it works when I get it back from them it'll be well worth the $200. I'd spend far more than that in time, ammo and parts to figure this out during a time when this ammo, in particular, is super scarce.

In the meantime, I'll look into new rings and potentially a new scope.
They charge you $200 to accept a rifle back that won’t meet their own claimed specifications?

OP
T

THellURider

Lil-Rokslider
They charge you $200 to accept a rifle back that won’t meet their own claimed specifications?
No - if you send it back, and they test it and it passes the sub-MOA guarantee without any work or anything. aka "the rifle was fine, it's the nut behind it" then they'll charge you $200.

If they take it back and identify that it's not performing to standard, the whole thing is free of charge.

So, at worst this costs me $200 and they tell me what factory ammo the gun likes and tell me it's my problem, not theirs. I can live with that if that's what happens. Still cheaper than trying to figure it out myself!

SDHNTR

WKR
No - if you send it back, and they test it and it passes the sub-MOA guarantee without any work or anything. aka "the rifle was fine, it's the nut behind it" then they'll charge you $200.

If they take it back and identify that it's not performing to standard, the whole thing is free of charge.

So, at worst this costs me $200 and they tell me what factory ammo the gun likes and tell me it's my problem, not theirs. I can live with that if that's what happens. Still cheaper than trying to figure it out myself!
Ok, understood. It all sounded good up until the last sentence. There’s a few more things you can look at (mentioned above) without costing you a dime.

SDHNTR

WKR
I’d also be very suspect of a single 3 shot sub moa group they report back with. Even a lousy rifle will eventually shoot a sub moa 3 shot group if you keep trying.

Unckebob

WKR
Bought this a while ago and finally got around to trying to figure out what ammo it likes and get it ready for Kodiak next year.

It's got a Vortex LHT 4.5-22 in Talley LW rings.

Shot off a solid bench with a bagged rear.

I had to beg, borrow and steal to find ammo for it. I don't reload any longer and don't want to try.

I've tried 3 factory loads. Only 2 of them being a viable bullet for my use case but until I find something that shoots I guess it doesn't matter.

1. Nosler 160gr Accubond - Avg 3-shot group - 1.7"
2. Federal 155gr Terminal Ascent - Avg 3-shot group - 1.5"
3. Nosler Ballistic Tip - Avg Group (only had 5 rounds) - 2.

Where did you find the Terminal Ascent in 280AI?

Edge

FNG

Let us know what Weatherby says about the rifle, working with a 2.0 steel 280AI with 150gr Sierra Gamechangers and RL16 but its not showing much promise. Going to load up some 150 Scenars and H4831, if it doesn't group those well then something is off. Trijicon 3-18x44 FFP scope, TSP rings on a bedded rail.

OP
T

THellURider

Lil-Rokslider
Let us know what Weatherby says about the rifle, working with a 2.0 steel 280AI with 150gr Sierra Gamechangers and RL16 but its not showing much promise. Going to load up some 150 Scenars and H4831, if it doesn't group those well then something is off. Trijicon 3-18x44 FFP scope, TSP rings on a bedded rail.
Will do - good luck with yours.

Lou270

Lil-Rokslider
I have some guns that don’t like the aggressive/ogive high bc bullet types unless seating near lands which is not option with factory. Get much worse groups than showing there but submoa with accbonds and hammer hunters. Availability is tough for anything these days but may find some different bullets options to try from guys like pendleton and such

Lou

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
If you can find it try the Nosler factory 160 gr. Partition load. My old 280 ai shot clovers with that load.