Head-to-Head: Carbon v. Aluminum Tripods

Tripods: Do you prefer Carbon or Aluminum

• Total voters
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, just looking at the picture it’s not an apples to apples comparison, but maybe we will learn something. I wonder if they could send you a medium so you are comparing similar legs as well at the same time.

Steve @IrkedCitizen and @BRobertson. We did the medium and compact comparison at the booth and Outdoorsmans decided the Compact was a better comparison to the SLIK 624 than the medium, so that’s what they lent me. I see your point.

With all legs sections extended on the Compact, but only two on the SLIK, apex is at 28.5” & 28”

I’ll be sure and test stability at those heights.

I’ll ask Outdoorsmans again to see what the reasoning was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

chasewild

WKR
Both the Outdoorsman and the Slik 624 are the analytical decision points for someone like me who is still on a Vortex Summit and a Swaro ATM 65HD. The price point on the Slik plus the weight savings is huge in my opinion, but if it doesn't hold like an outdoorsman -- then maybe the gain is irrelevant.

Following this one.

Last edited:

WKR
With that much difference in price, and weight, there would have to be a MASSIVE difference in performance and I'm quite certain (based on opinions of others and my own experience) that that isn't the case.

This is one of the easier decisions in all of my gear choices. (I have Promaster, Benro S2 combo, just for reference).

Interesting poll. Having sold thousands of tripods over the years, the heavier the tripod the less the wind will effect it. Exactly what I'm sure everyone knew. Having a shorter center column will be more stable as well. Better CF tripods will do better then entry level.
It was mentioned above about Slik twist locks being an issue. If you have a Slik with the CF after the # then it was before they came out with their latest line which has the CF before the #, where they upgraded the locks and they are now perfect.
Using spiked feet in dirt, mud or snow helps as well, but never on rocks. Most of the better tripods have a hook to add a sand bag. Use it, it can only help

I look forward to seeing the results

WOOD5045

FNG
Cold- it’s much more comfortable handling/carrying carbon and I feel like my hands stay much warmer. I dunno maybe I handle and rest my hands on the legs a lot, but i feel like it’s made a big difference.

^^This plus the cost for the Outdoorsmans keep me in the SLIK 624.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I too have a Slik 634 that is broke right now and I can’t find parts to fix it.. if it can be fixed. With Outdoorsmans you can at least get parts and have a great company backing it up.
For the price they definitely should back it up! Haha

In seriousness I think the twist lock is the issue with the Slik. That's where mine broke. I have an aluminum Slik with flick locks that is about 15 years old and still works great.

My choice for carbon is Gitzo. They are light, steady, strong, and seem to hold up to years in the backcountry.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
I too have a Slik 634 that is broke right now and I can’t find parts to fix it.. if it can be fixed. With Outdoorsmans you can at least get parts and have a great company backing it up.

I think the lack of support is 100% company dependant. I, in my own hands, was monkeying with my promaster and goofed up a few of the rubber grippy parts of the twist locks. I sent an email with pictures asking for a cost and how to pay, and got a reply in a few hours with a tracking number.

CCH

WKR
I'm not into either of these tripods price wise so feel my vote is not applicable, but as mentioned, that extremely long extension is not going to make for a good comparison. Going back to serious photography days, I've always used as much leg as possible and little to no extension. If you have to add that extension to make weight comparable, you might be answering some questions already. That is more of a monopod with base legs than a traditional tripod.

The Slik tripod is less expensive because it’s made china, possibly using slave labor. They did not have to comply with any of the environmental or labor regulations that the American made Outdoorsmans had to comply with. China dumps cheap carbon fiber and and other junk in our country to put guys like the Outdoorsmans out of business, then they raise prices.

Last edited:

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
Have only run the Promaster for 1 season, but like the lighter weight and warmer on the hands than the aluminum Manfrotto one I ran for the last 11 years.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not into either of these tripods price wise so feel my vote is not applicable, but as mentioned, that extremely long extension is not going to make for a good comparison. Going back to serious photography days, I've always used as much leg as possible and little to no extension. If you have to add that extension to make weight comparable, you might be answering some questions already. That is more of a monopod with base legs than a traditional tripod.

I’ve been working with outdoorsman‘s the last couple of days and told them some of the critiques that members had pointed out, like yours above, i.e. that this won’t be a fair comparison with that long extension.

So they are going to send a different tripod that offers more leg support without having to use such a long extension. It’s a prototype, but they’re pretty sure the production model will be the same.

That’s why I like doing the semi-live reviews, because I learn so much from you all. Just about every time I do a review like this, people point out things that I hadn’t even thought of.

So anyways hold tight, they’re going to get that shipped. this thread might go quiet for a week or so while I wait for it. Once I get it I’ll post more on the specs. And I’ll adjust the lead post to reflect the actual tripod.

Finally, on the poll that is above, it is not asking you if you prefer the Slik or the Outdoorsman in this review, just what your material preference is for any tripod, i.e. Do you prefer aluminum or carbon?

Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own a slik 634 with twist lock legs a slik 824 with lever lock legs and an outdoorsmans tall.

I dislike using much height in the center post so I prefer taller models despite the weight penalty.

I have noticed the carbon legs flex more than my outdoorsmans aluminum while fully extended especially at low angles to the ground. Each material has its advantages but if you are going to carry and use a tripod stability is the primary purpose.

As much as I like the size and weight of my carbon 634 I find myself grabbing the carbon 824 with lever lock legs. For ultimate stability the outdoorsmans tall aluminum is the winner for me.

When glassing I prefer a seated position on the ground with my legs under the tripod legs. This means extending the legs and and using angles more parallel to the ground. This will increase the flexing of the material and decrease the stability.

So many people get hung up on how light or how tall a tripod is sitting on the display shelf at the store. How it performs in a real world hunting situation is what matters to me.

RRS has seemed to be sturdier to me

I know this is really an “aluminum vs. carbon fiber” test/review thread, but it would be nice to see Robby get his hands on a Really Right Stuff tripod to throw in to the mix some time in the future. Their SOAR series, without a center post, would take stability to a level that pretty much no other tripod could touch. Outdoorsmans’ tall tripod is also extremely stable compared to most of the imports up to that price range.

I know this is really an “aluminum vs. carbon fiber” test/review thread, but it would be nice to see Robby get his hands on a Really Right Stuff tripod to throw in to the mix some time in the future. Their SOAR series, without a center post, would take stability to a level that pretty much no other tripod could touch. Outdoorsmans’ tall tripod is also extremely stable compared to most of the imports up to that price range.

Not to get too off topic...having always used a tripod with a center column I feel like the ability to quickly adjust an inch or three of height without having to mess with the individual leg heights is very convenient in the field. Has that been an issue for you without a center column?

Reactions: 307

Wrench

WKR
I have a pile of tripods and down to one carbon. For me it isn't about the stiffest its about the most bang for the buck / weight. If I were in flat stage country I'd bring a tall carbon tripod. If I am in steep mountains I'm bringing a unit that works with me sitting. I don't need to stand. I love the thermal conductivity of the carbon.

With all that said, i don't shoot off the tripod.

CCH

WKR
Not to get too off topic...having always used a tripod with a center column I feel like the ability to quickly adjust an inch or three of height without having to mess with the individual leg heights is very convenient in the field. Has that been an issue for you without a center column?

I still use the center post, but raise it as little as possible. I removed the center post extension from my Siruii because I just don't raise my optics that far and it saves some weight. Not saying that it won't work, just that it is inherently less stable and the lighter the tripod, the more that will be magnified.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Picking up what I wrote in post #33, from Mark at Outdoorsmans on the replacement tripod:

“ this prototype that I am sending is the same exact collapsed height of the medium that we have in production but it is 3 sections instead of two and extends to a height of about 52". It will most likely completely replace the current medium tripod in our product line (and available to public later this spring...”

So Roksliders, we get first look at this! It’s on it’s way so hoping to have some initial thoughts this time next week....