Head-to-Head: Carbon v. Aluminum Tripods

Tripods: Do you prefer Carbon or Aluminum

• Total voters
You had stability issues because you used the bottom/lower/smaller leg sections on the carbon. You should use the outer/upper/bigger leg sections as they are more rigid. Only use last leg extensions if absolutely need them to get tall enough for your glassing position.

Glass like this
20200422_163652.jpg

Not like this
20200422_163749.jpg

Next time you go out, try that and compare.

JBivens

FNG
For the price they definitely should back it up! Haha

In seriousness I think the twist lock is the issue with the Slik. That's where mine broke. I have an aluminum Slik with flick locks that is about 15 years old and still works great.

My choice for carbon is Gitzo. They are light, steady, strong, and seem to hold up to years in the backcountry.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Plus support. I broke a center column part, called in the evening to NY. They fedexed the part to me, 10AM next morning on their dime and I made my flight to Idaho......

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
You had stability issues because you used the bottom/lower/smaller leg sections on the carbon. You should use the outer/upper/bigger leg sections as they are more rigid. Only use last leg extensions if absolutely need them to get tall enough for your glassing position.

Glass like this
View attachment 174677

Not like this
View attachment 174678

well what a dope I am. I gave that some thought as I set up, but I must've forgot as I leveled them out and pulled the small legs out on the SLIK. Geeeez. I guess that's why I do these reviews this way as you guys see things I don't! I'll set up that way and try it again.

Thanks!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

Glass like this
View attachment 174677

Not like this
View attachment 174678

and to clarify, to get them to the same height, I won't have the legs extended exactly the same as the SLIK is shorter so I have to use more of the lower legs, especially at taller heights. I've got them in front of me right now and it seems that's why I must've pulled the lowest legs out to get to the height needed. But I'll still keep all that in mind on my next test day as your point made is spot on.

Like I said, use the upper sections unless you need the lowest section to get the height you need. For this to truly be an ideal test the tripods would have the same amount of leg sections. A Slik 633 for example to match the 3 sections on the outdoorsman.

But run what you brung.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Like I said, use the upper sections unless you need the lowest section to get the height you need. For this to truly be an ideal test the tripods would have the same amount of leg sections. A Slik 633 for example to match the 3 sections on the outdoorsman.

But run what you brung.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
well what a dope I am. I gave that some thought as I set up, but I must've forgot as I leveled them out and pulled the small legs out on the SLIK. Geeeez. I guess that's why I do these reviews this way as you guys see things I don't! I'll set up that way and try it again.

Thanks!

I think your still going to notice more stability with the Outdoorsmans in wind, no matter how to extend the legs.

I think your still going to notice more stability with the Outdoorsmans in wind, no matter how to extend the legs.

Given the extra pound of weight I don't think there is any question the heavier aluminum tripod will be more stable in wind. It should be. The question will be whether or not it is significantly more stable to make it worth toting around the extra weight. You can also carry a small empty storage-type bag (weighs a few ounces at most) and fill it up with dirt/rocks/etc once you get to your glassing spot,, then hang that on the hook at the center column of the tripod (many come with these hooks). That will provide extra stability to the lighter weight tripod. When done, dump the dirt etc (i.e. weight) and move on. I really enjoy threads like these and appreciate the comparison. I look forward to reading more of your review (I'm a fan of Outdoorsman products...very well made gear).

Another thing that really helps stability is to widen (flatten) the legs out to the second notch on the leg angle adjustment. This makes for a wider stance for the tripod and really enhances stability. I've gotten by for 9 seasons with the cheap aluminum Slik Sprint Pro II for back packing without the center post, but always kick it out to the second notch for use sitting with the Swaro 20-60 x 65mm angled spotter. I also only extend the largest leg section if possible (as noted above), plus a portion of the middle section if required.

If standing, I do use the tripod set up with all 3 leg sections extended, and on the more vertical first notch of the leg angle. It is pretty flimsy with that set-up but sometimes you can't glass sitting with willows in the way, etc.

Good test so far Robby. Thanks!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OK I’ve got both the tripods set up at the lowest height to ensure that the stability is at max for both of them. I’ll use the BTX for this first part of test as they’re angled and I can get close to the ground compared to a straight 15X Bino.

The ground is flat enough here that I am not leveling by extending or shortening legs, I’m just moving the tripod around until it’s flat enough to glass. That’s as close as I’ll be able to get it to an objective head-to-head.

a769148fee65702c739ad0274592b6c7.jpg

Looking at cattle at estimated 1 mile

The SLIK is at 17” to top of the Pan Head. In winds gusting to 10mph, no noticeable shake

68d3fa2b76885898ce6cb9ccc2c55a5b.jpg

The Outdoorsmans is 19” to top of Pan Head. Same winds, no shake (as I’d expect from a 14 oz heavier tripod)
53e7b5968baffb77c686d2019280d904.jpg

Now I’ll go to max heights.

SLIK goes to approx 50” (w/ center column extended) to top of Pan Head. This is max for that tripod.

219543513e4ab4f77fc9788707497dfe.jpg

Glassing those cattle for a few minutes and allowing the wind gusts to hit max, which I’m estimating are above 10mph now, there is noticeable shake but I can still see the animals just fine. More of a nuisance than affecting performance.

The Outdoorsman went to 59” for comfortable standing glassing, but there were still about 6 inches left in the column that I could’ve extended it.
5e4e5d63c74c03d3fc37893ee3e5ac72.jpg

So even with nine more inches up in the air, it was still more stable than the SLIK, but only by a margin. It wasn’t as big of a difference as I thought it would be. Now these are not high winds and I would expect that difference to be greater the higher the wind got.

Next I repeated the same test with the 15X, but they are just not big enough to pick up a lot of wind, nor is the magnification high enough to notice a big difference. (BTX ARE 35X). Pretty much the same results I got a few weeks ago—the BTX is worse due to all that surface area, you’d think the weight would offset it but it doesn’t.

6379f98993cbca6aca239c4ab17df93e.jpg

8b892cfb9d3acc41f08ac273bbb6b1cb.jpg

I finished up with some video through the PhoneSkope
to compare vibrations.
d5f4bd2554d4429d836f0451ef93417a.jpg

I’ll review it at home and see if there’s enough difference in the estimated 10-15 mph winds to warrant making a video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalko

Last edited:

elkguide

WKR
He says that he was looking at cows BUT...……….
Has anyone actually seen the video?

Great review. How did the video turn out?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
He says that he was looking at cows BUT...……….
Has anyone actually seen the video?

Great review. How did the video turn out?
Hahahah. Now I have to put it up!

You can tell the difference between the tripods in the video, I just am not sure if I had high enough winds to show a big difference. Might have to do that on a different day but I speculate that in higher winds that that outdoorsman is going to steal the show.

Mark@Outdoorsmans

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey everyone, I just wanted to hop on here and thank you all for the quality input and discussion that is happening on this thread. Outdoorsmans is always trying to make a better product and we can't do that without good unbiased feedback from our end users and also from people who have never even touched our products. Every little opinion, like and dislike will help us to provide you with a more fine tuned product for you to use in the field. Thanks again and remember all Rokslide members can use the code ROK10 to receive a 10% discount on Outdoorsmans products.

You help us and we will always be there to help you. Happy hunting and thanks again.

-Mark Denham

Robby, good test! Also test widening the base of the tripod by angling the tripod legs out flatter to the second notch if you set up without extending the legs (or with one extension out). It makes my little Slik Sprint Pro II a lot more stable and suspect it would help stabilize either of your two test tripods.

You can test this on your kitchen counter with a spotting scope or the BTX set up and should notice that the wider leg setting is more stable when you adjust focus or the power ring....just not as prone to vibrate. I was amazed how much it stabilized my set up, and also makes the tripod easier to get your legs under when your sitting flat on your butt, back against a rock on the mountain.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Robby, good test! Also test widening the base of the tripod by angling the tripod legs out flatter to the second notch if you set up without extending the legs (or with one extension out). It makes my little Slik Sprint Pro II a lot more stable and suspect it would help stabilize either of your two test tripods.

You can test this on your kitchen counter with a spotting scope or the BTX set up and should notice that the wider leg setting is more stable when you adjust focus or the power ring....just not as prone to vibrate. I was amazed how much it stabilized my set up, and also makes the tripod easier to get your legs under when your sitting flat on your butt, back against a rock on the mountain.

Will do. Both tripods have that option. Thanks

it's a bummer there going to ruin the current medium tripod by adding a third section and making it heavier.
I really enjoy my current outdoorsman medium.
I've been really contemplating picking up a carbon to replace it. I may have to get one now

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk