Heading to WY unit 124!

I will be glassing from the truck this afternoon. Its 28 degrees and the wind is howling at 40-50mph with gusts up to 70 mph. This is the most difficult hunt I've ever done. Beginning to wish I had chosen a unit that's easier to hunt.
Keep at it! Plenty of elk get killed by people that gave it just 1 more hour, one more drainage or one more glassing spot. The elk you harvest is always in the last place you look, 🙂

Last edited:
OP
F

fmyth

WKR
The weather in WY has been complete crap. It can make a seemingly easy hunt in "easy" country pretty dang tough.
I've never experienced 7 degree temps and 70 mph wind gusts. Pretty impressive but not conducive to hunting. No way I'd try to tent camp in the unit during rifle season. I saw several semis on their lids along the I-80 this week.

OP
F

fmyth

WKR
Dang man. Your persistence is admirable, but how is this hunt that hard?!? Is it always like this? I figured you would be window shopping for bulls.
Very few elk per square mile. Over 2,800 SQUARE MILES( bigger than Rhode Island or Delaware) of hiding area. Bad weather(snow, single digit temps and 70 mph winds). Lots of Antelope, deer and elk hunters have been stiring them up for the last 5 months. Oil and Gas workers driving all over the place. Coyote hunters driving around. The elk can see you coming from 5 miles away. I saw a bull stand up a mile away. He looked at me and turned and ran as far as I could see. These elk are transient. You might see a herd out in the open, then they disappear. Next day they are 40 miles away. It's amazing how a whole herd can disappear in seemingly "flat" land. In reality it only appears flat as it is so vast. There are deep gullies all over the place that they can travel through, sage brush up to my shoulders, juniper pines and cedars. I bit off more than I can chew with this unit for sure. My only chance is perseverance.

TheCougar

WKR
The weather in WY has been complete crap. It can make a seemingly easy hunt in "easy" country pretty dang tough.
Very few elk per square mile. Over 2,800 SQUARE MILES( bigger than Rhode Island or Delaware) of hiding area. Bad weather(snow, single digit temps and 70 mph winds). Lots of Antelope, deer and elk hunters have been stiring them up for the last 5 months. Oil and Gas workers driving all over the place. Coyote hunters driving around. The elk can see you coming from 5 miles away. I saw a bull stand up a mile away. He looked at me and turned and ran as far as I could see. These elk are transient. You might see a herd out in the open, then they disappear. Next day they are 40 miles away. It's amazing how a whole herd can disappear in seemingly "flat" land. In reality it only appears flat as it is so vast. There are deep gullies all over the place that they can travel through, sage brush up to my shoulders, juniper pines and cedars. I bit off more than I can chew with this unit for sure. My only chance is perseverance.
Keep it up man. I never would have guessed your hunt would turn out this way, especially after seeing the GoHunt unit stats. That unit would have been in my top 3 if i drew a commissioners tag. We’re pulling for you!

Last edited:

wysongdog

WKR
Weather has been absolutely shit for this hunt. Couldn't have asked for worse. It's kept everything hiding in deep holes trying to stay out of the wind. I went out a couple times where the elk generally are and nothing been a rough ass week for them.

OP
F

fmyth

WKR
This morning I glassed over 100 horses and then found 2 sheepherders with a bazillion sheep. I did bump a spike and 2 cows but they ran into a ravine of Cedars and disappeared. It was exciting to see them anyway. Going to try an area I haven't been to yet then off to find a new place to stay.

TheCougar

WKR
This morning I glassed over 100 horses and then found 2 sheepherders with a bazillion sheep. I did bump a spike and 2 cows but they ran into a ravine of Cedars and disappeared. It was exciting to see them anyway. Going to try an area I haven't been to yet then off to find a new place to stay.
Is the wind supposed to subside at all?

Scottyboy

WKR
I was ready to celebrate and then the ground thawed and now I am fighting the mud.
So your saying for anyone drawing a commissioner tag in the future to do antelope or mule deer? 🤪🤪🥴. Seriously though, pulling for you on a bull of your dreams we are all very envious of the opportunity you have. 👍

OP
F

fmyth

WKR
I was planning on going home for Thanksgiving and then my hunting AZ 6A rifle bull hunt that starts on Black Friday. After much consideration and speaking to my wife and kids I am planning to stay here and run out the clock. I don't want to have any regrets. Have to move out of the house I am renting this morning and into the local hotel so will miss my early morning hunt but will back at asap. Thanks for all of the support.20201113_134003.jpg112198-981f3615828c44fc95dfd0193d4e0a01.jpg20201109_070817.jpg

I was planning on going home for Thanksgiving and then my hunting AZ 6A rifle bull hunt that starts on Black Friday. After much consideration and speaking to my wife and kids I am planning to stay here and run out the clock. I don't want to have any regrets. Have to move out of the house I am renting this morning and into the local hotel so will miss my early morning hunt but will back at asap. Thanks for all of the support.View attachment 232779View attachment 232780View attachment 232778

if it makes you feel any better, when you're done hunting you can go back to your home that isn't hit with 50mph gusts regularly. I have to stay here and get clobbered by the wind all winter :). I love it here, but man that wind has been super bad last couple of weeks (and that's saying a lot since it's usually windy).

TheCougar

WKR
I was planning on going home for Thanksgiving and then my hunting AZ 6A rifle bull hunt that starts on Black Friday. After much consideration and speaking to my wife and kids I am planning to stay here and run out the clock. I don't want to have any regrets. Have to move out of the house I am renting this morning and into the local hotel so will miss my early morning hunt but will back at asap. Thanks for all of the support.View attachment 232779View attachment 232780View attachment 232778
The Wyoming wind sock - now that's funny. Funny sad, not funny ha-ha. You're not missing anything in 6A... Warm, dry, lots of hunters. Keep grinding away out in WY. Your perseverance will be rewarded. When does your hunt end?

TheCougar

WKR
Any luck? Casper is showing 60 degrees and 15 knots of wind! I bet that mud is hell though, now that all the snow is melting. I’ve only experienced a little bit of it and it was BAD.

OP
F

fmyth

WKR
The Wyoming wind sock - now that's funny. Funny sad, not funny ha-ha. You're not missing anything in 6A... Warm, dry, lots of hunters. Keep grinding away out in WY. Your perseverance will be rewarded. When does your hunt end?
November 30th.