Hearing protection for hunting and sporting clays

Erev803

FNG
Like the title says. What’s your favorite hearing protection to wear while hunting and/or if you shoot sporting clays or or other shotgun sports.

ssgjpd

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I have molded and sound gear phantoms. I mostly use the sound gear ones except in windy days.

fwafwow

WKR
Sordin Pro-X. At the time I purchased them (2020) they seemed like the best/highest protection I could find. They also have some good research on how not all dB reductions are equal - IIRC the differences turn on the frequencies at which the reductions occur.

TomJoad

WKR
I’ve never run customs but I’m a big fan of sonic defenders. Super fast to insert confidently, cord is a great length, good dbl reduction, comfortable enough to sleep with if your hunting partner snores! I also really appreciate the color coding: the right plug has a small red cap vs the black cap on the left plug. This is super handy bleary eyed at 3:45 trying to roll out of the tent with them properly oriented around the neck. They are cheap enough that I don’t cry if they are lost and I can afford to keep a backup set with my first aid in the pack. I always double these up with peltors at the range.

IMG_0421.jpeg
SureFire EP4 Sonic Defenders Plus filtered Earplugs, triple flanged design, reusable, Black, Medium https://a.co/d/1bewA4s

Edit to add: I dont hunt or shoot with a brake. Can’t even stand being next to them at the range. I’d run a suppressor if recoil management is an issue.

Last edited:
OP
E

Erev803

FNG
Thanks y’all. We shoot a lot of sporting clays so just getting an idea on hearing pro that can be dual purpose. I plan on getting a can for my rifle soon. Well, start the process at least.

I've been using the Prometheus Lights PSI earplugs for a few years now. 29db NRR, the delrin version cheaper with same performance as Ti, and the magnetic ends are great. I am starting to desire some active noise protection that boosts lower volume sounds, but these PSIs what I'll use when I just need basic earpro.

TSAMP

WKR
Axil is the brand I use. I bought the tethered version first. Extreme 2.0 I think. I lost those and always noticed feedback from them rubbing on my collar. Upgraded to the Xcor wireless ones and really like them. They make it easy to wear which translates to me using them more. Recharge in their case also.

Seems like the sky's the limit on these things. You can research all day long but in my opinion, something is better than nothing. So find a sale as give some a shot.

WKR

WKR
Sound gear phantoms

If you have blue cross blue shield insurance they will cover them

I have them and ill never hunt or shoot without them.

TSAMP

WKR
Sound gear phantoms

You mean if a DR says you need them? It just dawned on me I could possibly use HSA money for my ear pro..

WKR

WKR
You mean if a DR says you need them? It just dawned on me I could possibly use HSA money for my ear pro..
Pretty much, there is a few steps involved and either you show proof of significant hearing loss or you get your doctor to right a note that you need hearing protection for work. I can give you my contact at House of Hearing and she will be able to walk you through it.

But to my knowledge they work with blue cross, I don't know about any other providers

OP
E

Erev803

FNG
Sound gear phantoms

That’s good info. I don’t have blue cross I have united but I’m going to see if they will cover it. If not HSA as mentioned is a good idea I haven’t thought about. Thanks!

Reactions: WKR

fwafwow

WKR
Sound gear phantoms

Thanks for the tip. I have bcbs and while I’ve got myself set, I can always use more or better. But if a doctor recommends in the ear vs over the ear, I will push for the latter

Reactions: WKR