Hearing protection

bmart2622

WKR
Im looking for input of some ear buds I can wear all time and still hear with but yet provide hearing protection when shooting. Ive tried the around the neck ones but they provide little relief and I end up forgetting them more often than not and not loooing to go the suppressed route.

mku140

FNG
I’ve had good results from the safari land or decibulz filtered ear buds.

tbrady77

FNG
are the decibulz something you leave in the whole day and not feel like you are missing some animal sneaking up on you?

I've worn the Howard Leight for 3-4 hrs at a time hunting and it was great. Kept my ears warm and made squirrels sound like elephants so never got bored. Some say add the gel cups for comfort but luckily I thought they were good enough as is.

ApeComic

FNG
Following, my concerns are hearing accuracy and comfort for an extended period of time.

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
I used a pair of SportEars this year, just to reduce bulk. They did enough to reduce the sharpness of the shot and prevented any pain or ringing in my ears and were comfortable enough to keep in all day.

Mine are a little older and don’t that the push button valve to open and close the channel, so it takes a little more effort to engage or release the channel plugs on mine.

I’m planning to continue using them for hunting, even after my can gets released.

wyosteve

WKR
If you decide to go with Otto's let me know. I'm going to be posting a set to the classifieds in the next day or so. Tried them for 6 shots, but they just don't fit my ears well.

sreal217

FNG
tried out some noise cancelling ear buds by walker but seems like they are good for the range.problem i had when hunting with it was them slowly falling out even after changing the fitments.made me go back to the bulky ones

I bought OTTOs last summer. Finally used them for the first time on a hunt the last day of my 4th season elk hunt because I took my heavier "long range" rifle with an aggressive brake. I heard a lot of elk vocalizations that I wouldn't have if I were wearing nothing in my ears. I think I'll be using em a hell of a lot more going forward.

Only problem is I don't think the batteries will last for a full day of hunting.

AndrewMT34

Lil-Rokslider
are the decibulz something you leave in the whole day and not feel like you are missing some animal sneaking up on you?
I've got a set of the moldable decibullz, I've tried to remold them a few times but never seem to fit quite right for me. I could still hear pretty well.

n816kc

Lil-Rokslider
Picked up a set of Ottos for this season, pleased with them so far. I did swap out the silicone ear tips with a set of Comply brand. I’ve worn them 3 days in a row comfortably, though I was getting a little soreness late in day 3. They were fine the morning of day 4. Took one shot and they worked great, good noise suppression and no ringing afterward. I could hear the deer bounce off thru the leaves and go down @75 yards away over the top of a hill.

Batteries have been fine for all day hunts, down to 20-30% after 9-10 hours. The charger case is great, still at 80% after 4 overnight charges. Much better than the little hearing aid batteries in the Etymotics.

The standard setting works well for hearing game in the woods. I hear better with them than without I think. I haven’t tried the high sensitivity setting yet, woods have been dry with a breeze, that may be better for calm, damp conditions. These work much better than the Etymotics I tried last season, though the ear tips may be a big part of that. I’ll try the Etymotics with the Comply tips next hunt and see how that works out.

Last edited:

ferch

FNG
Picked up a set of Ottos for this season, pleased with them so far. I did swap out the silicone ear tips with a set of Comply brand. I’ve worn them 3 days in a row comfortably, though I was getting a little soreness late in day 3. They were fine the morning of day 4. Took one shot and they worked great, good noise suppression and no ringing afterward. I could hear the deer bounce off thru the leaves and go down @75 yards away over the top of a hill.

Batteries have been fine for all day hunts, down to 20-30% after 9-10 hours. The charger case is great, still at 80% after 4 overnight charges. Much better than the little hearing aid batteries in the Etymotics.

The standard setting works well for hearing game in the woods. I hear better with them than without I think. I haven’t tried the high sensitivity setting yet, woods have been dry with a breeze, that may be better for calm, damp conditions. These work much better than the Etymotics I tried last season, though the ear tips may be a big part of that. I’ll try the Etymotics with the Comply tips next hunt and see how that works out.
Thank you for this input. I'm in a similar situation and this may have sealed the deal for the OTTOs for me...