In field hearing protection recommendations please.

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking for input from those of you have used some type of hearing protection that allows you to hear, but provides protection when the gun goes off.

Since it is my hearing, $ is not really an option. I should have been using more protection when younger but I was young and “invisible” (another word for dumb).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use Honeywell Howard Leight.
Stay on the neck. Won't fall off. I basically forget about them while hunting. Light and not bothersome.

maxmfs

FNG
If I am more static, I like he electronic Peltors. Otherwise, if moving around more, Surefire Sonic Defenders.

SonnyDay

WKR
I also use the Honeywell Howard Leight and they generally do the job.

I would be interested to hear about in-ear pro that guys really love.

OP…depends what where and when you are hunting.
If you are hiking/glassing type hunting out west where you won’t be jumping something up for a quick shot then just use foamies…keep them around your neck or in your glass harness pocket. Helps on weight and not having sweaty ears.
Hunting timber or mobile where a quick shot will happen then screw a can on your rifle…will help for hunting partners etc as well.
Upland bird hunting get peltors or something good that doesn’t give a ton of feedback or wind noise. Cover mics with extra foam to help.
Duck hunting from a blind Howard leights will work fine.

wyosteve

WKR
If you do a search, this has been discussed in multiple threads in the past. Lots of good info there.

taskswap

WKR
I believe I own one of nearly every major product available for this. I have tinnitus (don't get tinnitus!) so it's really critical to protect what's left of my hearing as much as possible. Unfortunately, my ear canal shape is a little non-standard so I have trouble with comfort/fit with some products, and others just don't stay in.

If you have questions about a specific product before you buy it, msg me and I'm happy to share my experiences. (I still have them all, actually. Selling ear-pro seemed kind of gross to me so I just kept them.)

In my personal opinion the best earbuds for hunting are also the cheapest:

This is a soft silicone bud that fits both my big ears and my kids', a nice bonus. They're incredibly cheap so I can sprinkle them around to make sure I always have them handy - I keep some in my truck, some in my range bag, my hunting pack, etc. They weigh almost nothing and never need to be charged (I had a LOT of problems with powered options not lasting a full hunt day - I'm a stay-out-all-day guy.)

The cord makes it easy to hang around your neck so they're always handy, but they're so small and light that they don't get tangled in things. I once took a snap-shot and forgot to put them in, and made an accurate shot with one bud sandwiched between my shoulder and my rifle. I didn't even notice it. If you don't like the cord it pops out easily - I carry a pair without a cord in my bino harness in case I lose my main set while I'm hunting.

I know they aren't as sexy or magical as the bluetooth-and-spa-massage units some vendors are selling now. But for me, after trying DeciBullz, IsoTunes, Howard Leight, Elgin, Comply, Walkers, and one or two others, I came full circle back to these. YMMV.

chaser_2332

Lil-Rokslider
I use ESP’s electronic shooters protection and i love them. They are not a cheap investment but mine have been three several wash cycles, tons of matches in mud and rain and still works as good as the day i got them. They are probably 8yrs old. Send them a mold from your ear doctor and you’ll have a set back pretty quick

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I use the 3M foam on the stiff horse shoe around my neck. They're always on me. I even slept with it around my neck during a few hunts.

I got a custom fitted pair of the otopro impulse. It’s a good in between, set me back $300 by the time I got my ears molded but they’re comfy enough to wear all day in the field and it’s amazing how with no electronics or anything they silence the sound of shooting. Some voodoo black magic going on there https://otoprotechnologies.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ssgjpd

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I have both Phantoms and Instant fits from Sound gear. Phantom's I use for sporting clay and the instant fit I use while duck and other bird hunting. These are a good base electronic that will suppress the sound when the gun fire and also amplify other sounds.

The one negative I have with the instant fit is they only have one volume. You can typically find these on sale or with a discount.

Bluefish

WKR
I have a set of Westone defendear, the modules are made by cens from England. Not cheap, but they do work. Offer high 20’s protection or a little less than a can. They are nice as they are silicone earmolds and the modules snap in. Means you can replace earmolds if needed. if you go custom make the canals as long as possible. Both for impressions and the final product. If there are any fit issues have them remade, they will do this at no cost.
buy a can and use it with ear pro for the best protection.

uglymud

FNG
Classified Approved
3m tri flanges or skull screws for me, used them at work, in the shop, shooting, etc. Just wrap them around your neck and tuck them in the shirt until needed.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

OP
W

WTNUT

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to all. Lots to consider.

For upland hunting, I do use the foam. The only downside is you can walk a considerable distance from bird to bird and talking to your hunting buddy can be difficult. If you take them out it seems inevitable you will get an unexpected flush on something the dogs missed.

As for rifle hunting big game, same situation. If stalking or watching from a vantage point, you can have foam in place but it just always seems like the minute you take them out for some reason something jumps up …..

Thanks to all. Lots to consider.

For upland hunting, I do use the foam. The only downside is you can walk a considerable distance from bird to bird and talking to your hunting buddy can be difficult. If you take them out it seems inevitable you will get an unexpected flush on something the dogs missed.

As for rifle hunting big game, same situation. If stalking or watching from a vantage point, you can have foam in place but it just always seems like the minute you take them out for some reason something jumps up …..

The situations you’re talking about are exactly why those custom fitted otopro impulse are awesome, they don’t have any electronics to worry about, they’re comfortable to wear all day and you can hold a normal level conversation, or even a whispered conversation but they filter out the loud noise of gunfire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muddler

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Walkers Razor Quad. Use it deer hunting, upland and waterfowl hunting. I love those things. I'll never hunt without them again. There might be better/more expensive options but they work for me. Wind never really bothers me. While I lose a little ability in being able to determine sound direction, they edge of being able to hear it sooner balances it out. I haven't been surprised by anything yet.

I definitely have hearing damage from not using anything. A 7 mag with a brake didn't help. The Walkers are the first thing packed when I'm gun hunting anything now.

Bluefish

WKR
Note that the small orifice type plugs, really don’t offer much protection. Really only good for 1-2 shots. Better than nothing, but not as good as other options. These are like the 3m and sure fire. They use a super small hole as a “filter”. Essentially the high energy sound wave can’t fit through the hole yet smaller waves do. Makes it so you can hear speech, yet reduces gunshots a little. For those familiar with physics, it’s choking flow through a pipe.

while 3m was sued, the idea is valid and does work. i believe the problem was that they used them in a poor Christmas tree style plug, not the filteres. The protection increases with sound level, so they really only get shots down to around 140 ish no matter the starting level. Again, better than nothing, but not a good option for high volume shooting imho.