In field hearing protection recommendations please.

JeffP_Or

WKR
I've posted in similar threads previously but put me on the Howard Leight Impact Sport Bolt crew.

I started using them maybe 6-years ago and they were one of a few that actually published their cut-out 'activation' time and it was the best I could find. I use them upland, waterfowl, target and big game hunting.

I find them good for directional hearing - not superb but there have been only a very few number of times where I could not tell where a noise was coming from [particularly good for waterfowl hunting]. I do find they cut-off when blowing a high-ball on the duck call which is annoying since that is one reason I wanted the electronic aids [to hear the duck call] but most other call sounds have no effect.

They do get warm on the head when hiking hills for big game especially in early season; conversely, they really keep my head/ears warm during waterfowl!

Battery life is good - so much I really don't worry about batteries - I got through a week each of deer and elk and a good portion of about 2-dozen days in the duck blind before I needed to replace batteries. The rest of duck, goose and was into spring coyotes before I have to replace again. I don't constantly wear them all day long but wear them a good amount.

They are slim and don't mess with gun mounting.

I would like to try some higher end custom molded in-ear units but I can buy several of these muffs before getting near the Tetra or similar units. I started with the Howard Leight but have not yet found a reason to upgrade. Maybe someday?!

Last edited:

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I use Tetras for waterfowl. They offer 25 db of protection which is pretty good. Spendy but I either pay now or later for hearing aids. I'd rather do what I can to protect now.

Buzzkill

FNG
I have a pair of somewhat inexpensive Peltors that I use for the moment, but I have been looking to get the Sordin Supreme Pro-X. A number of the folks I know who shoot often on the range highly recommend them. That being said, I generally double up on ear protection, as I am most concerned about hearing loss, especially when I spend time on indoor ranges.